Jump to content
pinkbex81

RBS Junior Associates 2017

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Pixie said:

Lottie77 and Littlebear, are both your DDs in JA1? We could have coffee together after the introductory talk? I will be filling in the online form tomorrow, is it long? How do I submit the passport size photos? 

Hi Pixie yes my DD is in JA1 too and coffee sounds lovely.  The form took me over an hour to do !! But I had problems with the photo. I took it on my iPhone then had to change the format or it wouldn't accept it. When it did it was confusing as you don't see the actual photo just a red circle with a cross in it under the box - but must be right or wouldn't let me go to next page. I've ordered uniform today too - all very exciting! X

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pixie said:

Lottie77 and Littlebear, are both your DDs in JA1? We could have coffee together after the introductory talk? I will be filling in the online form tomorrow, is it long? How do I submit the passport size photos? 

Ahh that would be lovely! We will have to wear something identifiable! ? X form is quite simple to be honest. I had a headshot so just uploaded the photo. Happy form filling x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lottie77 said:

Ahh that would be lovely! We will have to wear something identifiable! ? X form is quite simple to be honest. I had a headshot so just uploaded the photo. Happy form filling x

Just filled in the form and ordered the leotard. No information on the sizes so ordered size 2 which is the size of her normal leotard...I will be wearing a pixie outfit...only joking...:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered dd a size 1 it's arrived today and is far too big for her ? 

Will have to order the 0 

Not sure if to send this one back or save it for next year ! 

Have I read correctly they still end of year 6 once they have a place ? 

X

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So a couple of questions. Character shoes are to be low heel but currently dance with Cuban heel-is that Ok? 

Also leather shoes specified are they to be split sole or full sole? 

For Newcastle in case that makes a difference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any character shoes, they advise not to buy new ones especially.  Your JA teacher will have a look and tell you if they'd prefer different ones but there was a variety of styles in my dd class. 

Full sole ballet shoes needed as they work the feet better. 

Yes once a JA you stay until the end of year 6 (unless choose to leave or really not gaining anything from the course, but I haven't known anyone be asked to leave) .... in regards to leotards, I did the same butterflyballerina for JAs and kept the next size up xxxx I've just made the exact same mistake for MAs and will keep both too xxx 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 19:19, margarite said:

We got a no for year 6 too - DD is absolutely fine thank goodness! It's a tough process, and agreed it can make you feel quite despondent - but I'm focusing on how proud I am of DD - I'd never have had the guts to audition for anything when I was 9! She's happy at YDA too. Shame they haven't got the resources to give a little more feedback, it was heartening to get that when she applied for Tring. 

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear, hopefully lots of yeses! Fingers crossed for you all xx

Hello Margarite and Dancer123, your daughters are amazing dancers.  YDA Associates is a great program.  I had a chance to see an open class yesterday for parents.  I don't know how the selection process works at RBS.  I didn't expect my DD to get a JA place, she was 20 cm taller then everyone in her JA audition class.  (above 99percentile height for her age group)  In fact she is only 9 but often mistaken for a 11-12 yo.   'Not yet' is a difficult answer for children to digest.  We had a very recent experience of MT Matilda audition and there despite standing in deep X she was too tall even for ensemble roles.  She really wanted to be in that musical, knows every song and learned the dance routines by watching youtube videos.  In that case we know the door is now closed for MT children roles.  By the time she turned 9 she was too tall. 4 years of MT dreams, drama school classes with singing, drama, jazz, tap, street dance classes. But all this training is beneficial long term.  Please encourage your girls to continue.  Reading about many dancers it wasn't easy for any of them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ladies, if it helps, it is also possible to get RBS JA audition feedback.  Last year we had yr4 SWL and my DD ballet teacher spoke with the Head of the JA program.  Our ballet teacher was very kind to make this contact. Mrs Sylvia Hubbard gave very constructive feedback pointing to where the focus should be to fix the shortcoming.  My DD then was able to focus on the area and showed improvement. 

I understand that JA would not be able to speak with parents but will respond to a professional enquiry from a ballet teacher x

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone tell me if the JA tracksuits come up big or small please? My dd is only 8 but tall for her age and skinny! Not sure if we should order 7-8 or 9-11?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at watching week too!! yes we did get feedback was very helpful. DD determined to carry on.She got an amazing report from YDA.Have sent you a private message!x Keep telling myself Darcey Bussell did not make it until 13!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

Can anyone tell me if the JA tracksuits come up big or small please? My dd is only 8 but tall for her age and skinny! Not sure if we should order 7-8 or 9-11?

 

The tracksuits come up big. The jackets are not too bad actually but the bottoms are very wide indeed!!!!   My dd had the age 7-8 throughout JAs (the jacket still fits her and she's 11!). The bottoms got a little short for her, especially at the end of year 6 ? but still loads of width room!

 

A heads up though ....  The bottoms this year are totally plain and haven't got the royal logo on as apparently they've decided against it so I've returned the bottoms and just bought the new zip up this time and am going to get some slimmer fitting plain navy bottoms that are more flattering xxx 

Edited by Balletmum55
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Annasophia said:

Ladies, if it helps, it is also possible to get RBS JA audition feedback.  Last year we had yr4 SWL and my DD ballet teacher spoke with the Head of the JA program.  Our ballet teacher was very kind to make this contact. Mrs Sylvia Hubbard gave very constructive feedback pointing to where the focus should be to fix the shortcoming.  My DD then was able to focus on the area and showed improvement. 

I understand that JA would not be able to speak with parents but will respond to a professional enquiry from a ballet teacher x

Thank you - I'll ask her teacher to contact them. Well done again to your DD xx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Balletmum55 that's really helpful. I will definitely go for age 7-8 then! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ButterflyBallerina said:

I ordered dd a size 1 it's arrived today and is far too big for her ? 

Will have to order the 0 

Not sure if to send this one back or save it for next year ! 

Have I read correctly they still end of year 6 once they have a place ? 

X

If you don't mind me asking what size clothes does your DD normally wear - my DD has got a year 5 place and want to order her uniform but it's so difficult trying to guess when no idea what the sizes come up like ??  I'm thinking size 0 as she is quite small for her age x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Starshine said:

If you don't mind me asking what size clothes does your DD normally wear - my DD has got a year 5 place and want to order her uniform but it's so difficult trying to guess when no idea what the sizes come up like ??  I'm thinking size 0 as she is quite small for her age x

My dd is the same year 5 place but small for her age 

She wears age 7 in next and between a 5-6 and 7-8 river island 

She wears a 6-7 in the mirella Leo range

The size 1 bags in places so is quite big in her 

It's a different material to her others and defiantly a lot bigger than her others 

 

Hope that helps ?

X

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Annasophia said:

Ladies, if it helps, it is also possible to get RBS JA audition feedback.  Last year we had yr4 SWL and my DD ballet teacher spoke with the Head of the JA program.  Our ballet teacher was very kind to make this contact. Mrs Sylvia Hubbard gave very constructive feedback pointing to where the focus should be to fix the shortcoming.  My DD then was able to focus on the area and showed improvement. 

I understand that JA would not be able to speak with parents but will respond to a professional enquiry from a ballet teacher x

 

Thanks for this! I have now asked my daughter's teacher to follow it up and see if we can get some feedback.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just had the royal phone call!!!! Offered a yr 4 place at Birmingham JAs. still shaking with excitement, so incredibly proud! DD was on SWL for Bath & Birmingham...hold on in there if on SWL, it can happen!!!! 

  • Like 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Jan!

 

Sounds like there's a few ballerinas getting some good news today, another student at our ballet school has an MA place from the SWL too! Congrats Sunrise81 for your DD too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2017 at 10:08, Balletmummy28 said:

I heard it was 1,300 applicants this year as well with only 11% chance of getting a place which is just tiny!

My dd got JA's last year (Y4) and I know this sounds awful but at the time I was so shocked and actually rang RBS to make sure they hadn't made a mistake! She was not overly flexible (couldn't do box splits, touch her toes etc) and only ever got high merits in her ballet exams. Her best friend was completely the opposite (very flexible and always getting distinctions) and yet has tried to get into JA's for two years running and never been successful. What my dd does have is bucket loads of enthusiasm and a wonderful performance quality (you only have to look at her to see how much she loves to dance) and a very slender physique with long legs and very arched feet. I know it's only my opinion but I do think physique and "the look" has something to do with it, as well as obviously potential.

What I am trying to say is please don't be disheartened if you got a No this time. There are plenty of amazing dancers out there who were never JA's and are still training in top vocational schools and following their dreams. My dd's friend that I've mentioned is an Elmhurst Associate so it also goes to show that all the schemes/schools really do look for different things!

Hi Baletmummy28, my DD will be starting at JA3 (year5) at 12 noon, which group is your daughter going to be next year?  Is it a mixed  group yr4/5 boys and girls?  Very excited to join the class. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have movement to report on the SWL! DD has just been given a Year 6 place at Eastleigh. So pleased for her! Fingers crossed for all other wait listers! xx

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh that's lovely sunrise81.

she will be in with my 2 lovely pupils .

Do you live near Leeds ? I will be bringing them occasionally - so perhaps a coffee sometime !

tutugirl x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2017 at 10:20, Balletmum55 said:

 

The tracksuits come up big. The jackets are not too bad actually but the bottoms are very wide indeed!!!!   My dd had the age 7-8 throughout JAs (the jacket still fits her and she's 11!). The bottoms got a little short for her, especially at the end of year 6 ? but still loads of width room!

 

A heads up though ....  The bottoms this year are totally plain and haven't got the royal logo on as apparently they've decided against it so I've returned the bottoms and just bought the new zip up this time and am going to get some slimmer fitting plain navy bottoms that are more flattering xxx 

Hi Balletmum55 did you have any luck getting some navy joggers? The RB ones have arrived and are humumgous!! I'm going to return them. I would've thought they'd be a slim fit given the girls they are accepting into JA... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...