Ballet Method?

shygirlsmum

Just filling out a form for DD and it asks for "Method" I have no idea what this means, DD studies IDTA syllabus and RAD Vocational exams, what should I put? Our dance school is closed for another week, so I don't really want to bother the teacher on her time off, so thought I would ask your opinion :)

• Like 1

If it is asking for current level, or last exam passed then you put which examining body that was. So if you are putting down that her last exam was Inter, then you'd say it was RAD, if it was a grade exam the IDTA. If you want to put both down, and can fit it in the space, then maybe put both, but if not, I'd be inclined to say RAD as that is the body for the vocational exams.

• Like 5

RAD is definitely a method - the other common ones are Cecchetti (Italian school), Vaganova (Russian school), and then there are ones you come across less in the UK like French and Danish schools.

Some have exams (RAD and Cecchetti is via ISTD) - and some don't (Vaganova).

Schools also have different names for some of the positions - the RAD first position for arms, is the same as what is called fifth position en avant in Cecchetti and so on. The levels and ways of teaching can also be very different, so a dancer at Grade 3 in one school may find that they could be Grade 2 or Grade 4 standard in another. 

(Total non expert here but I did have to do a crash course in ballet styles when I needed to find a new school for DD last year - it's pretty fascinating historically)

If it asks which exam syllabus/method is being studied/most recently taken, particularly at higher levels, then I'd go for the vocational exam even if your dc has taken a grade more recently. (For instance my dd took a vocational exam shortly before she took a graded exam, but when asked, we wrote the vocational one down on the form).

• Like 1

Both my daughters take idta exams. From reading this others seem to do RAD as well as IDTA. Should my girls my girls be doing this too? What is meant by vocational exams? What's the difference between IDTA exams and rad?

sorty for the zillion questions?'!! ?? 

xx

RAD syllabi are only ballet. Some schools do RAD for ballet and other syllabi for eg modern/tap. Some schools use other syllabi such as IDTA for all genres.

On the whole I would say quality of teaching is more important than the syllabus.

I'm no expert but I think the Voc exams are more in depth than the graded ones.  There is a minimum age to take the exam (11 for inter foundation) IDTA also do Voc grades, our school does both.  

I cant help with whether your DD's should be doing them but have read about exams being irrelevant if you are getting good training so it might not be important.  I would have a word with your teacher and see what they can advise.