What are some aspects of ballet that are never seen in TV / Media ?

Hi Mage.  The first thing you should be aware of is that ballet is art, not sport, although it requires the same stamina as that required by top athletes.

I can't think of any aspects of ballet that haven't already been covered in fictional media, but maybe someone else can.  

Maybe life as a dancer in a touring company and the pressures that puts on the practical aspects of life; or a corps de ballet member in London who has to travel home by tube after performances, etc. I imagine such things have been covered somewhere, but perhaps less than the studio/stage aspects? Not sure. (And depends who the film is aimed at too.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fonty said:

How horrible ballet dancers' feet are?  I can't think of anything I've seen that conveys the damage done by pointe shoes.  

16 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Maybe life as a dancer in a touring company and the pressures that puts on the practical aspects of life; or a corps de ballet member in London who has to travel home by tube after performances, etc. I imagine such things have been covered somewhere, but perhaps less than the studio/stage aspects? Not sure. (And depends who the film is aimed at too.)

Good thoughts from Fonty and BridieM

I can't remember seeing anything in depth about life in a modern touring company ... travelling, finding digs, the practicality of being able to eat after an evening performance, different stages, backstage facilities differing etc.  Years ago dancers at Northern Ballet used to camp to save money.

I like Fonty's suggestion of the impact on the ballerina's feet.

There's not much on line about it but there is a documentary that has been made about Laura Purkiss of BRB that is currently doing the rounds of film festivals.  Touring and having a family could be an interesting story...

BTW, welcome to the Forum!  Do let us know how you get on.

• Like 1

how about the approach and transition to a career after professional dancing ? not everyone presumably can stay on in a coaching or admin role in a big prestigious company after the dancing is over, so there must be some dramatic material in a dancer approaching that crux.  haven't personally seen that addressed.

• Like 4