Character solo ideas??

Pointe-less

My eldest dd character was from the red shoes, nice ballet work building to a frenzied dance ay the end; she always placed well with it. My youngest current  character is first time at the beach, dressed as a man with mustache and vintage swimwear. It's got lovely ballet work in but very funny at the same time. 

Thanks all - that's very helpful!

Hmmm... lots to consider.  She's just turning 8 but she's quite mature in her tastes... isn't interested in Disney princesses or fairy stories anymore.  For vampire things, she likes Hotel Transylvania and that Bugs Bunny/Dracula episode.  But I think the age appropriate thing is going to catch us out.  

But it's not like I have her out there shaking her booty :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottishDancerMum said:

Thanks all - that's very helpful!

Hmmm... lots to consider.  She's just turning 8 but she's quite mature in her tastes... isn't interested in Disney princesses or fairy stories anymore.  For vampire things, she likes Hotel Transylvania and that Bugs Bunny/Dracula episode.  But I think the age appropriate thing is going to catch us out.  

But it's not like I have her out there shaking her booty :(

something Wednesday Addams ish ?

• Like 2

I think Wednesday Addams is perfect, but she's oddly terrified by the Addams Family! (but Star Wars or her brother's video games, no problem?)

Sarah, how much storyline needs to be incorporated?  I'm trying to find some videos online but the vids seem to be mostly American and I don't know if they are the same over here.

(E is very excited about Hermione, and I know the music well.... so off to the costume design board again!)

In our experience there needs to be a clear story all the way through. So you could have - meeting at the station, on the train, getting to Hogwarts, making spells/potions, flying on broomstick and maybe some darker bits..... I'm not aware of all the details of Harry Potter...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fiz said:

Has she seen the 1960s version? I agree that Christina Ricci is pretty frightening in the 1990s films.

No, not yet.  I haven't even seen it.

The Christina Ricci version had E running by the time she saw the wriggling lunch bags!

On 4 May 2017 at 12:50, sarahw said:

In our experience there needs to be a clear story all the way through. So you could have - meeting at the station, on the train, getting to Hogwarts, making spells/potions, flying on broomstick and maybe some darker bits..... I'm not aware of all the details of Harry Potter...

Your post gave us some great inspiration.  We've got a plot line worked out involving making Polyjuice Potion... which Hermione makes an error on and ends up looking like a housecat!  

I'm working out costume details, and have the music sorted (my two favourite parts).  Trying to find a line between looking like Hermione but still maintaining a costume you can dance ballet steps in and show off your lines is a bit challenging!  Particularly in the early movies, Hermione wears a grey jumper and her school robes most of the time, so I need to look at this a bit.

At least my daughter and Hermione have the same sort of frizzy hair :)

I had fun today ordering bits and bobs for the costume - I'll just try to tailor the pieces a bit to make them fit a bit better than her regular school uniform.  

I also ordered a cat mask... part of the plot involves the making of the polyjuice potion in "Chamber of Secrets" (where Hermione makes a mistake and turns herself into a house cat for an hour).  My daughter is horrified by it, but we'll see. She was Hermione for Book Day last year and loved it.

• Like 2

Or an idea could be that she has a cats tail already attached to her school skirt at the back (or bursting through it) but hidden by her cloak for the first part of the dance ... then when she she tastes the potion, she removes her cloak as she's shocked to feel a tail grow? Might be easier and less fiddly than trying to put a mask on ..... 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 8 May 2017 at 23:44, Balletmum55 said:

Or an idea could be that she has a cats tail already attached to her school skirt at the back (or bursting through it) but hidden by her cloak for the first part of the dance ... then when she she tastes the potion, she removes her cloak as she's shocked to feel a tail grow? Might be easier and less fiddly than trying to put a mask on ..... 

I ordered a cat mask and she steadfastly refuses to consider it... it smells funny and "is too scary".  So now I'm looking at an ears and/or tail combination.

The cloaks are quite long, and I don't know how she's be able to dance in it without obscuring her line (the jumper and skirt are slim fitting but might look bulky on stage).  Perhaps a shorter cloak/cape?  Either that or have the tail tucked under the jumper and find a way of pulling it out without being obvious?

Her teacher hasn't started choreography yet - we find it's best to work out most of the details first and then she fills it in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Is the little match girl very very common? I have just been given it as a character! I like the choreography my teacher has given me a lot, but am worried about my chances if I am the 10th little match girl!

I think it might be pretty popular.  I've read about it quite a few times here but I'm sure the more experienced members can tell you more about how many to expect.  Plus on a second-hand costume site I work on, it's a frequent request.  

HOWEVER... you can make any dance original and yours.  Even if there are other competitors doing the same character, they won't be doing it the same way you do.  Break a leg!

Edited by ScottishDancerMum