Accepted to Perm Ballet School

vaganova_dancer

Hello everyone!

I posted about this on the Ballet Talk for Dancers forum and was recommended to come here :)

Last week I received my acceptance letter from Perm State Ballet School in Russia! I am beyond excited!!

Here is what I wrote on BT4D:

This makes me the first Israeli to be accepted to study ballet in Russia, and I believe I am the second or third student from America to study at Perm. I am quite proud of myself smile.png

School starts September 1 but I'm not sure if I will be able to start until mid-September. It mostly depends on funding, which I am trying to figure out now. It is proving to be rather difficult!

I was actually hoping to speak to some of the forum members here who, if I remember correctly, are parents of dancers studying in Russia. It would be great if I could get in touch with these members, and my parents would also appreciate being able to talk to other parents in similar positions.

One of the members there referred me here and said there were some parents of dancers studying in Russia on this forum. I would love to get in touch with anyone who might be able to help and offer some advice!

Thank you ^_^

Noa

• Like 8

Noa, I am the parent of Heather who is studying in Russia but I know you are already in touch with her via formspring. Congratulations on gaining your place at the Perm school. Regarding funding, the best thing to do is to get in touch with charitable organisations and get as much sensitive publicity as you can. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Noa, I believe that there is a British girl (I think that she is from the north of England -possibly Manchester) who is studying at Perm. I don't know her personally but I remember reading about her in a British newspaper. If you do a google search you may be able to find her.

Yes primrose I am in touch with Heather! She is so sweet and has been really helpful and nice explaining things to me about ballet in Russia in general :) Re: funding - I am glad you said about the publicity, as that is what I am working on doing right now. So far I've tentatively scheduled to do two separate interviews (online on dance sites) as well as another site that will publish a blurb about me. My parents and I are trying to contact an Israeli newspaper as well.

I found two organizations that I will contact because it seems they would be relevant. The first is the Ronen Foundation, and the second is the America-Israel Cultural Foundation. I will keep looking also.

aileen, is Rachel Hernon the girl you were referring to? It took a while, but finally a google search turned this article up: http://menmedia.co.uk/tamesideadvertiser/news/s/531445_ballet_star_of_future_steps_out_in_russia

It was written in 2007, and it says that it was her second year there out of a three-year course, so she will have graduated by now. But I will try to get in touch with her! Thank you for that tip.

And many thanks to the rest of you for your congratulations! It feels unreal still :wub:

• Like 3

vaganova_dancer, I'm not sure if this is the girl that I was thinking of. I thought that I had read about her fairly recently, but when you are reading articles on-line you don't always take notice of the date of the article. I wish you the best of luck.

The article did mention that she was one of two or three British girls studying there, so I suppose there is a chance you were thinking of another girl! And if British students studied there in the past, I would assume there may be some there now. I will keep googling to see what I can find, and if any of you knows anyone I might get in touch with, I would so appreciate it!

Thanks so much for everybody's help already!

vaganova_dancer, this may or may not be relevant, but Vadim Muntagirov, who became a principal with English National Ballet at the age of 21 (he is now 22) and is in demand as a guest dancer around the world, did much of his training at Perm before he came to the Royal Ballet School at 16 or 17 having won the Prix de Lausanne competition. His parents were both principal dancers with the Chelyabinsk Ballet where his sister is currently a dancer, I understand.

aileen, relevant or not, this is very interesting to know!

double trouble - the ballet world is such a small one, isn't it? I will look up the school, perhaps I can contact her through there.

Thank you, tulip and thequays =)

One of my friends at my summer intensive just graduated from Bolshoi and she was able to get me in touch with a friend of hers who graduated from Perm after studying there for 3 years.

So even though I've not gotten really anywhere as far as funding is concerned, I feel like I'm at least making some kind of progress by contacting people who are 'in the know'! Haha :D

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread!! I wonder if an old thread ....in this case four years old ....is revived it can somehow be flagged up.

It's very easy if you are not looking carefully to post a comment that may not be read by the previous posters as the thread is too old!! Just wondering about the above comment!!