Bolshoi Ballet coming - summer 2013!!!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Perhaps many articles don't mention that. However, the newsreader clearly said that "the Bolshoi company is preparing to meet its Artistic Director. If his doctors don’t object, Sergei Filin will NOT FAIL TO come to London".

On the whole there is so much ambiguity around this situation.

The Telegraph:

Red tape adds to cost of the Bolshoi as it steps into Britain

The murderous expense and red tape attached to securing visas for foreign companies to perform in the UK is a ridiculous charade, writes Rupert Christiansen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/10206144/Red-tape-adds-to-cost-of-the-Bolshoi-as-it-steps-into-Britain.html

Anyone know where we can find out the cast changes following Maria Alexandrova's injury - the Hochhauser website has nothing about cast at all and the Bolshoi link above has not been refreshed.  I am particularly interested in Swan Lake 10th August evening.

Edited by Don Q Fan

The Bolshoi website (see post 162 above) has the following updated casting arising from the injury to Maria Alexandrova:

Sleeping Beauty: Krysanova August 8th

Swan Lake:  Krysanova August 10th; Shipulina Augusr 14th

Flames of Paris: Osipova and Vasiliev - now August 17th as well as 16th

Not unexpectedly, the Hochhauser website is silent on the matter and the ROH website is still showing the original casting.

One other change to highlight. LANTRATOV is now dancing the role of Philip for the FLAMES OF PARIS Matinee on 17th August in place of Volchkov

Agree with Capybara, bless the BOLSHOI for letting the London audiences know of their casting changes and updating their records in such a timely fashion.  There are a few managements we all know who could well profit from their fine example of good practice.

Edited by Meunier
  • Like 1

At tonight's SLEEPING BEAUTY the pre-performance announcement said that RODKIN would dance in place of LANTRATOV as the Bluebird ... due to the latter's 'injury' ... and he did.  

I must confess - only because of the debacle in Paris when FLAMES opened there and Barton22's posting (#172) which I had read immediately prior to going to the opera house  - I began to wonder if Lantratov's injury announced this evening MIGHT NOT have been at least in small part to his pride at the hands of a casting not entirely to his liking/expectations.  (This is, after all, the kind of behaviour that Urin has said he is going to take steps to root out.  Not, of course, forgetting the recent ONEIGN saga.)  If one was to believe the articles in Le Monde at the time of the FLAMES opening at the Palais Garnier on 5th May 2011 - one might be forgiven for thinking that there could be a certain rough justice in all of this.  Certainly at the time it resulted in the great anxiety caused to the AROP gala for the then President of France, an enormous premium having been paid by ALL attending audience members who - according at least to the original invitation - (and I know as I received one and had purchased a ticket based on its embossed expectation) promising - as it did in writing - the ORIGINAL leading performers including Osipova and Vasiliev.  Still it was not to be even though they ('Osiliev' as you put it Barton22) were there in Paris, uninjured and did in fact dance performances later that week in the same roles - but not at the gala.  (As it happens we in LONDON have seen Lantratov and Krysanova dance the major pas de deux from FLAMES at a 'Russian' gala at the Coliseum. .... much as we have more recently seen Obraztsova and Ovcharenko dance the central pas from DIAMONDS in another of the same.)      

But then I thought - standing in the amphi - NO, this is merely a metaphysical speculation and like most metaphysical speculations has very little bearing on the subject at hand. ....  (Thank you, Oscar) ... Moreover, the performance of Sleeping Beauty had even then begun to literally blind me in the reflection of the abject gilt embedded within its Act I floor pattern which I can assure you dazzles (sometimes alone) in the heat of its theatrical sun. .  

I will be most curious to see if Mr. Lantratov shows up to dance his EVIL GENIUS on Saturday in SWAN LAKE.  

Edited by Meunier

I knew something would be announced after I left for London yesterday :)  but I decided to just go ahead and book rail tickets for Thursday and Saturday anyway. Happy to see Krysanova in SL on Saturday, and she was lovely last night as Aurora so don't mind too much repeating on Thursday, just hope Semyon Chudin and Olga Smirnova are still dancing their roles, and of course Lantratov as the Evil Genius on Saturday, thought it was too good to be true to see him as the Bluebird last night!

Anyone know where we can find out the cast changes following Maria Alexandrova's injury - the Hochhauser website has nothing about cast at all and the Bolshoi link above has not been refreshed.  I am particularly interested in Swan Lake 10th August evening.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/2013/2633/

Lantratov did not dance Bluebird last night due to a foot injury, but he hopes to be fit by 10th... Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Not overjoyed about Saturday evening's replacements for Maria Alexandrova had hoped for Smirnova.  Just glad I didn't buy a really dear ticket not really bothered about seeing it as it's "just another" Swan Lake now :(  

Edited by Don Q Fan

Andrei Merkuriev is dancing Jerome(?) on Friday only with Denis Savin both performances on Saturday, if my reading of the Russian alphabet is correct :)  The third man is Artem Ovcharenko on Friday, Denis Rodkin at the matinee and Ruslan Skvortskov in the evening.

From the Bolshoi website:

Jeanne — Natalia Osipova (16 August , 17 August /19.30) , Ekaterina Shipulina (17 August /14.00) 
Philippe  Ivan Vasiliev (16 August , 17 August /19.30), Vladislav Lantratov (17 August /14.00) 
Adeline — Anastasia Stashkevich (16 August), Anna Rebetskaya (17 August /14.00 and 19.30) 
Jerome — Andrei Merkuriev (16 August), Denis Savin (17 August /14.00 and 19.30) 
Mireille de Poitiers — Kristina Kretova (16 August , 17 August /19.30), Anna Tikhomirova (17 August /14.00) 
Antoine Mistral — Artem Ovcharenko (16 August), Denis Rodkin (17 August /14.00), Ruslan Skvortsov (17 August / 19.30)

The bold print is an indication of the most recent cast changes

Edited to provide link:

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/2013/2633/

Edited by Bluebird

Strangely, the ROH website is showing a different cast now for 17 Aug. evening, with Krysanova replacing Osipova:

Saturday 17 August 2013, 7.30pm

MAIN STAGE

SOLD OUT

thumbnail.jpg
The Flames of Paris

Alexei Ratmansky’s revival of a revolutionary ballet by Vasily Vainonen is given its UK premiere by the celebrated Bolshoi Ballet.

PERFORMERS
Conductor Pavel Sorokin
Jeanne Ekaterina Krysanova
Philippe Ivan Vasiliev
Orchestra Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre
Edited by Amelia

Maybe this casting is correct but the ROH website is not infallible.  Below is the casting it gives for Swan Lake on the 15th.  

Swan Lake

The Bolshoi Ballet launches its Golden Jubilee season at the Royal Opera House with one of Russia’s greatest ballets.

PERFORMERS Conductor Pavel Sorokin Odette/Odile Olga Smirnova Prince Siegfried Artemy Belyakov Orchestra

Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre

According to the Bolshoi website, Belyakov is to dance the Evil Genius that night and Chudin is to dance Siegfried.  I can find no record of Belyakov ever having danced Siegfried so this is clearly an error. 

• Like 1

Strangely, the ROH website is showing a different cast now for 17 Aug. evening, with Krysanova replacing Osipova:

Currently, the casting on the Bolshoi website  page (on the Russian section of the site) is showing Krysanova dancing on the evening of the 17th but they have not yet removed Osipova from that performance.  Presumably this is an oversight.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/about/press/articles/2013/2633/

• Like 1

Sarah Crompton mentions somewhere that the Daily Telegraph will be streaming the Bolshoi company class sometime next Tuesday morning.  I'll perhaps start a separate thread on it once we have something a bit more concrete, but wanted to alert people now.

Thanks very much for casting. I'm glad Andre is getting one performance of Flames at least, though 2 would have been better. Disappointed that Osipova may not be dancing on Saturday night as have managed to get a ticket on the front row of the amphi in the hope that she and Vasiliev may dance that night. However, enjoyed Krysanova in Bayadere so I'm sure it will still be a great performance.   Joan

Casting for FLAMES now confirmed on the Bolshoi (Russian) site.  OSIPOVA will only dance the Friday night performance as originally scheduled. 

JEANNE, Natalia Osipova (16 August), Catherine Shipulina (August 17 ​​/ morning), Catherine Krysanova (August 17 ​​/ evening) ,PHILIP - Ivan Vasiliev (August 16, August 17 ​​/ evening), Vladislav Lantratov (August 17 ​​/ morning) ADELINA - Anastasia Stashkevich (August 16 ), Anna Rebetskaya (August 17 ​​/ morning and evening Jerome - Andrew Merkuriev (August 16), Denis Savin (August 17 ​​/ morning and evening) Mireille de Poitiers - Christina Kretova (August 16, August 17 ​​/ evening), Anna Tikhomirov (17 August / morning) Antoine Mistral - Artem Ovcharenko (August 16), Dennis Rodkin (August 17 ​​/ morning), Ruslan Skvortsov (August 17 ​​/ pm) 

Someone has just posted on the ticket for sale site that the casting for the Flames of Paris matinee is now Krysanova and Vasiliev which conflicts with my idea of Shipulina and Lantarov.

Do you think this new casting is correct or this person is muddling with the evening performance that day!!

I myself am going to the matinee and don't mind which cast really but for the two friends going with me who are newish to ballet and probably won't go that often it might be nice for them to,see Vasiliev. Ive already seen him with Osipova in Don Q so know he will be good I know less about Lantarov.

Someone has just posted on the ticket for sale site that the casting for the Flames of Paris matinee is now Krysanova and Vasiliev which conflicts with my idea of Shipulina and Lantarov.

Do you think this new casting is correct or this person is muddling with the evening performance that day!!

The post you quote refers to the evening performance.  The poster just put 'Sat pm'.  She didn't give an exact time but, from the context, she was referring to the 7.30pm performance.

edited to fix typo

Edited by Bluebird

LinMM, the person selling the ticket in question is quite clear that it is for the 7.30 pm performance not the matinee.  The casting you list is correct for the evening performance.  The ROH website has been updated as has the Bolshoi's own site.  Vasiliev will NOT be dancing at the matinee, now doing the two evenings.  Lantratov (who will be doing the matinee) was the dancer who opened the production in Paris with Alexandrova after it was originally mounted by Ratmansky for Osipova/Vasiliev in Moscow.  I'm sure your friend will be happy.  You will be seeing Denis Savin as Jerome who originated that role in this production.  London saw Krysanova and Lantratov dance the central FLAMES pas a couple of years ago at the Coliseum in a Russian gala and the audience was delighted as far as I can recall.  Should your friend wish to see Vasiliev she will have the opportunity to do so in the Kings of Dance programme in March at the Coliseum.  He will be dancing Le Jeunne Homme et la mort ... much as he did in a magnificent performance when he guested with ENB for no fee as a mark of respect to Petit on the occasion of his then recent death.  Please reference the Bolshoi casting below:

The Flames of Paris

16 August , 19.30 
17 August , 14.00 and 19.30

Jeanne — Natalia Osipova (16 August) , Ekaterina Shipulina (17 August /14.00), Ekaterina Krysanova (17 August /19.30)
Philippe  Ivan Vasiliev (16 August , 17 August /19.30), Vladislav Lantratov (17 August /14.00) 
Adeline — Anastasia Stashkevich (16 August), Anna Rebetskaya (17 August /14.00 and 19.30) 
Jerome — Andrei Merkuriev (16 August), Denis Savin (17 August /14.00 and 19.30) 
Mireille de Poitiers — Kristina Kretova (16 August , 17 August /19.30), Anna Tikhomirova (17 August /14.00) 
Antoine Mistral — Artem Ovcharenko (16 August), Denis Rodkin (17 August /14.00), Ruslan Skvortsov (17 August / 19.30)

Edited by Meunier

Thanks all is now clear I think that person may not have realised there were two performances that day.

In some other places people are putting AM for the matinee which is also misleading!!

It is fairly easy just to say matinee or evening performance!

By the way wasn't the person selling the ticket who made the muddle.....it is quite clear she is selling for the eve performance but someone else then made the cast change comment and it could have been inferred that this was for the matinee! Anyway it has been clarified.

Now that the Season has ended, I would just like to record my thanks to everyone who has taken the time to make substantive comments about it on balletcoforum. Being able to read others' thoughts about performances and productions has greatly enhanced my Bolshoi watching experience and, hence, my overall enjoyment of the last three weeks.

• Like 1