Bolshoi Ballet coming - summer 2013!!!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt if the Filin story will have any effect at all, the Bolshoi has exceptionally loyal fans that will turn up regardless. Don't forget between now and August there will be far more important things on peoples minds, hate to say it but this is a minor story outside ballet fora and even RT have stopped commentating on it anymore with the big stories being Cyprus and Syria.

I think that many people are not going this year because of the ticket prices, in economic times that are not easy for most people.  The fact that it costs £18 just to stand, plus the prices above that, is, I know, putting people off. 

• Like 1

The media’s phraseology about events in Moscow, like ‘Is the Bolshoi Doomed?’, is becoming crazier and crazier.

Those who doubt that Russians have a sense of humour could read a new joke in a paper yesterday:

“The Bolshoi arrived at Chicago to begin a tour. The horror-stricken Chicago mafia fled the city.”

Also, as well as the prices,  the unimaginitive programming could put people off (It's certainly put me off). The idea of a 3 week tour in which 2 weeks are given over to Swan lake and Sleeping Beauty is I think a big mistake. I'm just going to book for Bayadere and Flames, whereas on recent tours I've been spoilt for choice with the programming.  I know they need some big name ballets (especially in the current economic climate) to persuade people to part with big money for tickets but are there really enough Tchaikovsky enthusiasts to fill the ROH for 2 weeks?  I won't be among them but I would have gone to see Pharoah's Daughter, Bright Stream, Esmerelda or Don Q. Joan

• Like 3

Ok. While I was so hung up on the ethical issue of whether or not I should go to Bolshoi at all I kind of ignored the ticket prices. Now I sit down and check, I paid £68 front stalls matinee for La Bayadere Royal Ballet in April. Ouch - £85 for same side stalls Bolshoi matinée La Bayadere August. Wow - one heck of a mark up.............

So. I'm hoping for heck of an amazing performance from the Bolshoi in summer. God I hope so. The last time I saw the Bolshoi was in Nottingham in 2006 - Sergei Filin was the undoubted star of those performances. 

• Like 1

One heck of a mark-up - until you consider what the RB prices would be without public subsidy.  Rather more, I would think.

I agree with jmhopton about the unimaginative programming.  I feel absolutely no urge whatsoever to go and watch the Bolshoi's Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty again.  I might be prepared to give La Bayadère another go, and Jewels, and Flames of Paris.  I just wish the Proms programming was out so I could check if I was missing anything.

Whose designs are they using for Jewels, BTW?

TELEGRAPH PRIORITY BOOKING:

The Bolshoi will be at the Royal Opera House, London WC2, from July 29-Aug 17.

Telegraph Subscriber Privilege Card holders have priority booking from Monday until April 8.

To book, ring 020 7304 4000 and quote ‘Telegraph subscriber’ and your subscriber number.

Check box-office times before calling. Public booking opens on April 9: 020 7304 4000; roh.org.uk/bolshoi

With Hochhaeuser mailing list access everybody should still be able to purchase their tickets (I guess).

Apparently not.  Has anyone even been able to book online this morning?  I'm not getting the "code" box to put the password in.

The code box was there when I tried just after midnight, BTW, but it now seems to have vanished.  I've tried Firefox and Internet Explorer.

The code box is there now, I have just tried.  If you go onto the ROH website direct and then type in the code, it brings up a list of 'best available' .  It tells you the seat you have got before you go to the pay screen, but I am going to wait and take my chances when the public booking opens. I like to select my seat myself I'm afraid.  I shall probably only be able to go to one Bolshoi performance so would like to ensure, as far as possible, that I can see and am not behind the tallest/broadest man in London!

I was able to book Alison ... I will put my entry that I placed on another topic listing:

The booking for the Bolshoi (if you are on the Hochauser mailing list) is a bit confusing.  You use the links on the sent email and you put in the password supplied and then it takes you to some strange screen with general rather than specific seating allocations (a bit like in Paris).  However, I found if you went back to the Hochauser listing and clicked on the ballet/performance in question it would bring you up to the direct link to the royal opera house booking where you could book your direct place.  You can ONLY book one performance at a time and so if you are making multiple bookings you will have multiple booking confirmations.  Hope this helps.  There seems to still be plenty out there.  

Thanks, meunier.  I've finally managed to book, but there was very little standing left - I'm on the back wall of the amphi for 2 out of 3 performances.

For anyone else who's confused (and the instructions in the email aren't entirely clear), you need to ignore the link to the Bolshoi booking page entirely and go for the links for the individual performances.

Where do you put the code in? I've clicked on the link and also  tried going via ROH and have just gone straight to the Bolshoi page without being asked for a code. Consequently It's just saying Not on sale when I click on individual ballets. It's very frustrating, especaially as I'm on holiday and am dependent on library pcs.  Joan

If you use the links to the individual performances listed in the email from the Hochhausers, you come to what looks like the usual ROH "sorry, tickets not yet on sale" page.  There's a box to the right-hand side of that where you put the code in.  Do not use the link to the general Hochhauser/Bolshoi page on the ROH site.

Oh, and not all performances are displaying the "we'll select your seat for you" page - only the first night of Jewels, of the ones I tried, was.

If you use the links to the individual performances listed in the email from the Hochhausers, you come to what looks like the usual ROH "sorry, tickets not yet on sale" page.  There's a box to the right-hand side of that where you put the code in.  Do not use the link to the general Hochhauser/Bolshoi page on the ROH site.

Oh, and not all performances are displaying the "we'll select your seat for you" page - only the first night of Jewels, of the ones I tried, was.

Thanks Alison.  Spurred on by all the comments, I have been able to select my own seat for the last matinee.  When I first went in this was displaying the "we'll select a seat" too, but it wasn't when I tried again.  I am afraid I have no idea what I did the second time so can't pass on any advice.  Just try again!

So here I sit... extremely jealous of your ability to purchase tickets now whilst I have to wait til April 9th! I am a foreigner and thus not a "friend" nor have any other priority but will be in London just in time for the last La Bayadere. Although my dd has seen every ballet our NBoC has performed in the last 5 years plus a few visiting companies, she has never seen La Bayadere and so is desparate to see it.

Hoping there are some good seats left!!!

So here I sit... extremely jealous of your ability to purchase tickets now whilst I have to wait til April 9th! I am a foreigner and thus not a "friend" nor have any other priority but will be in London just in time for the last La Bayadere. Although my dd has seen every ballet our NBoC has performed in the last 5 years plus a few visiting companies, she has never seen La Bayadere and so is desparate to see it.

I have sent you a PM

Well, for future reference, it's worth getting on the Hochhausers' mailing list.  I don't think there's any geographical restriction, and it's a lot cheaper than becoming a Daily Telegraph subscriber (I think this may be the first time it's been a subscriber offer rather than a reader one).

Hello fellow Canuck (and Torontonian presumably!). alison is quite right, there is no geographical restriction being on the Hochhauser mailing list. I did that and I got my Bolshoi Bayadere ticket (a really good one, and there were many available, at least in the stalls where I was looking) online on Monday. Here's the link:

http://www.victorhochhauser.co.uk/

For all I know you might be able to sign up today and still get the advance booking.

Many thanks for those who emailed me yesterday explaining about the advance booking. I was clicking on the Hochhauser link rather than the performance itself. Couldn't thank people yesterday as I was dashing off to see Osipova in Giselle! Managed to acquire 3 tickets each for Flames for myself and my husband (at vast expense!) and am trying today for Bayadere with no success so far. Blank screen when I clicked on 'select your own tickets'. Perhaps bettter luck later on.  Joan

Thank you for posting this info about the advanced booking, I signed up to the Hochhauser mailing list last night however I haven't received an e-mail with a code or information about advanced booking yet - fingers crossed this will arrive today! Has casting been announced yet as there are specific dancers whose performances I would like to book for?

DONE! Thank You all! 2 awesome seats for La Bayadere (albeit pricey) on the Grand Tier. This may very well be my only opportunity to see a ballet at ROH so it's money well spent.

Which performance are you going to? I'm going to the Saturday night. We could perhaps meet up! Even if you're not going Saturday, we could still get together, I am in London all that week singing at Westminster Abbey.

• Like 1

Yes we are going Saturday night. We have a reservation for tea at Savoy for 4:45 and then walk to theatre after so maybe a cocktail at the ROH before the show? Also planning a visit to the Abbey on following Tuesday. My dd is a student at NBS - I'm sure you both would have much ballet to discuss!

Yes we are going Saturday night. We have a reservation for tea at Savoy for 4:45 and then walk to theatre after so maybe a cocktail at the ROH before the show? Also planning a visit to the Abbey on following Tuesday. My dd is a student at NBS - I'm sure you both would have much ballet to discuss!

Tea at the Savoy! how nice.

I'm definitely up for pre-show drinking.

My choir will be gone from the Abbey after the Sunday so if you're around the previous week, why not do your Westminster visit sometime then. (They don't charge you if you're attending evensong rather than visiting as a tourist). Kind of ironic, though, to travel all that way and hear a choir from Toronto!

I've just booked tickets for Swan Lake, La Bayadere and Flames de Paris. As casting has not yet been announced and I am taking a gamble I hope that I have tickets for the right perfomances! Hoping to see Zakharova in Swan Lake and La Bayadere, I am guessing that the two evening performances will be vehicles for Osipova and Vasiliev for Flammes de Paris so it won't matter whether tickets are for the Friday or the Saturday performance.

I also plan to book for Sleeping Beauty once general booking opens and the cast lists are out.

Thanks once again for the heads up with regards to advanced booking through the Hochhauser website :)