There is a difference between 'speculation' and 'hope', which is why at the very beginning of this thread I said "here is what I HOPE will happen", not "here is what I THINK will happen". I wouldn't presume to know what Mr O'Hare will do. Looking back through this thread everyone is stating what they would like to see happen.. A wish list is different from saying "so and so WILL get promoted. THAT is speculation!

• Like 4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he is stopping but he is certainly doing less than many others.

I don't think you are correct about that.  Watson has been in a lot of productions/performances these last two seasons, although he did not appear as much last year.  If you compare his output I think you will find he is in the top league of performances given.  For several years he hasn't done the Prince-type roles that others do.  

Are Golding and Kish still injured?

Watson certainly is appearing in fewer roles than he used to be cast in: whether or not that's his decision, as I said, I don't know.  I can certainly think of 3 roles coming up before the end of the season which he used to perform but hasn't been/doesn't seem to be being cast in this time around, although at least one of those I don't think he's danced for about a decade.

So he appears to be.  If he is, that's good news - although I'd been under the impression that he was likely to be out for rather longer.

He was on the second cast list as Mr. Dalloway in "I now, I then" but was replaced by Tomas Mock, looks like he is okay now.

• 4 weeks later...

The RB roster for 2017/18 in the Season Guide includes 3 of this year's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers: Giacomo Rovero; Francisco Serrano and Charlotte Tonkinson all of whom have featured in the current Draft Works.

The Aud Jebsen Young Dancers for the coming year will be: Joonhyuk Jun; Joshua Junker; Sae Maeda; Nadia Mullova-Barley and Aiden O'Brien.

Iana Salenko remains listed as a Guest Principal. Johannes Stepanek (who was given a leaving present at the recent Ballet Association Dinner) is no longer listed as a First Soloist. Melissa Hamilton remains there, however.

Of course, these lists run ahead of summer announcements about promotions, leavers and other joiners.

• Like 2

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 20:36, Saodan said:

Do we know this to be true? It seems to me that their are plenty of other reason not to promote a dancer: financial, logistical, structural, pastoral. There are certainly a number of dancers that the company presumably believes are good enough to dance principle roles regularly, and yet are not principles. Whilst we would like to think that dancers are justly rewarded for their talent, I fear the world (and corporate structures) can be unjust. It seems to me that you may have the roles of audience and AD the wrong way round when it comes to considerations for promotion. 

Either way, this whole discussion seems a touch premature considering we have only just entered the second half of the season. 

Yes but it gives everyone on the forum something to discuss....... Let everyone have their fun.....

• Like 1

On 4/7/2017 at 20:11, capybara said:

....The Aud Jebsen Young Dancers for the coming year will be: Joonhyuk Jun; Joshua Junker; Sae Maeda; Nadia Mullova-Barley and Aiden O'Brien.

Iana Salenko remains listed as a Guest Principal. Johannes Stepanek (who was given a leaving present at the recent Ballet Association Dinner) is no longer listed as a First Soloist. Melissa Hamilton remains there, however.

Of course, these lists run ahead of summer announcements about promotions, leavers and other joiners.

Some great talent in next year's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers - but does this mean none of them have been accepted to the RB on a full contract? 

51 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

As I would expect, as she hasn't left the company.  She was on leave of absence to dance in Dresden.

I know :) I simply included a reference to Melissa as questions seemed to have been raised on here about her status.

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2017 at 12:20, Yaffa said:

Some great talent in next year's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers - but does this mean none of them have been accepted to the RB on a full contract? 

That's correct Yaffa. The Aud Jebsen Young Dancers are not accepted by the RB on a full contract basis. They are simply given a year of experience to work alongside the RB dancers.  Once their year as an Aud Jebsen dancer is over they may be considered by the AD for acceptance on a full contract basis, if not they will have to find work in another company.

1 hour ago, Nina G. said:

That's correct Yaffa. The Aud Jebsen Young Dancers are not accepted by the RB on a full contract basis. They are simply given a year of experience to work alongside the RB dancers.  Once their year as an Aud Jebsen dancer is over they may be considered by the AD for acceptance on a full contract basis, if not they will have to find work in another company.

Thanks - yes, I understood that this is the procedure for the Aud Jebsen young dancers, but I thought it strange that the recipients were announced before any announcement of full RB contracts from RBS and thought maybe some would later find that they had a full contract, and might not take up the internship.  I assume this won't in fact be happening. It was reassuring to read in another thread that they have reasonable pay and conditions, which many other internships in the ballet world apparently don't. 

[edited to remove a possibly wrong assumption about whether there are any full RB contracts from RBS this year]

Edited by Yaffa

• 4 weeks later...

RB promotions were announced at about this time last year, before the company left on tour.  Could we find out next week?  I would love to see promotions for Yasmine, Matthew and Reece, to name but a few.

Edited by Booklover89
  • Like 7

And Nicol Edmonds, David Donnelly, Marcelino Sambe and Anna-Rose O'Sullivan, amongst others.....there are so many who deserve promotion this year that there may well not be enough spaces to cope!  I guess that we all have to expect some disappointment, sadly.

• Like 4

I agree - there are so many incredibly talented dancers.  In addition to those mentioned above, I've been mightily impressed by James Hay, Benjamin Ella and David Yudes.  And that's just the men.  I do think Yasmine and Anna-Rose have been outstanding.  Kevin O'Hare has my sympathy in having to decide on promotions.

I thought last year we were very pleasantly surprised by the number of promotions and I hope we'll again be pleased.

• Like 3

Ready to stick my neck out now:

First Soloist to Principal: I would love to see Yasmine Nagdhi promoted but I think that that might not happen this year

Soloist to First Soloist:  Matthew Ball and Marcellino Sambe

First Artist to Soloist: Reece Clarke and Anna Rose O'Sullivan; possibly Benjamin Ella and Tomas Mock

Artist to First Artist: Calvin Richardson; (and what about Joseph Sissens? Ashley Dean? Chisato Katsura? Mariko Sasaki?)

These are not, of course, the only dancers who have stood out this year but they have been superlative - a number of them in many and diverse roles. Fingers crossed.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 7

Hi Capybara, just wondering why you think a promotion for Yasmine Naghdi may not happen this year? Out of all of those discussed, all very worthy of promotion, she stands out to me as the one who has been consistently dancing at principal level in every performance and in some cases (Aurora, Kschessinska) she appears to have been considered one of the best dancers in the role. 

She recently repeated her outstanding  Kschessinska super-sub feat in a slightly different way, by performing in several successive Symphonic Variations performances - certainly no mean feat. 

As I have said previously, hers is the one promotion which seems to me to be absolutely necessary and in fact rather tardy. I will be seriously tempted to chain myself to the ROH if it doesn't happen. ;)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Hi Capybara, just wondering why you think a promotion for Yasmine Naghdi may not happen this year?

I hope that I am reading too much into the early casting for next season and I want to be proved wrong very much indeed. Yasmine is a big star in my eyes and she must surely be a Giselle next year whatever rank she holds.

[I've just realised that I spelt her name wrongly in my original post - oh dear: apologies.]

• Like 3

Some of these are more wishes than realistic predictions, as the RB is overflowing with talent right now! 

Yuhui Choe to principal 

Yasmine Naghdi to principal 

Bennet Gartside to principal character artist (probably not this year, but when Ben decides to retire his first soloist rank)

Matthew Ball to first soloist 

Marcelino Sambe to first soloist 

Reece Clarke to soloist 

Isabella Gasparini to soloist 

Anna Rose O'Sullivan to soloist 

Benjamin Ella to soloist 

David Donnelly to soloist 

Ashley Dean to first artist 

Calvin Richardson to first artist 

Gina Storm-Jensen to first artist 

David Yudes to first artist 

Mariko Sasaki to first artist 

Chisato Katsura to first artist 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Legseleven said:

Hi Capybara, just wondering why you think a promotion for Yasmine Naghdi may not happen this year? Out of all of those discussed, all very worthy of promotion, she stands out to me as the one who has been consistently dancing at principal level in every performance and in some cases (Aurora, Kschessinska) she appears to have been considered one of the best dancers in the role. 

She recently repeated her outstanding  Kschessinska super-sub feat in a slightly different way, by performing in several successive Symphonic Variations performances - certainly no mean feat. 

As I have said previously, hers is the one promotion which seems to me to be absolutely necessary and in fact rather tardy. I will be seriously tempted to chain myself to the ROH if it doesn't happen. ;)

I'll join you on the chain gang.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stella said:

Some of these are more wishes than realistic predictions, as the RB is overflowing with talent right now! 

Yuhui Choe to principal 

Yasmine Naghdi to principal 

Bennet Gartside to principal character artist (probably not this year, but when Ben decides to retire his first soloist rank)

Matthew Ball to first soloist 

Marcelino Sambe to first soloist 

Reece Clarke to soloist 

Isabella Gasparini to soloist 

Anna Rose O'Sullivan to soloist 

Benjamin Ella to soloist 

David Donnelly to soloist 

Ashley Dean to first artist 

Calvin Richardson to first artist 

Gina Storm-Jensen to first artist 

David Yudes to first artist 

Mariko Sasaki to first artist 

Chisato Katsura to first artist 

Just now, penelopesimpson said:

I just don't see it for Yuhui Choe.  She is a fine artiste and certainly I saw another side to her in Woolf Works but being made a Principal is surely something special to be reserved for those with that little something extra.  I don't know what that is and my best stab would be star quality which, respectfully, I don't think Yuhui has.  This  is no reflection on her but I like the way KOH has promoted talent and I would be loathe to see him promote people because it was their turn or just because they had a strong body of repeatedly excellent work.  Whether we like it or not, non balletphobes often book against the 'stars' and I do not think it would be doing Yuhui any favours to put her in that top grouping.  For the future I look forward to a continuation of KOH's policy of pushing the outstanding dancers up the ladder. 

• Like 1