If I describe my offspring's feet, could you offer some initial thoughts about the right pointe shoes?

r3dh3d

(Note - obviously this is not intended to be a fitting over the internet.  I'm just trying to work out what brands and styles commonly fit this sort of foot, so I can focus on shops that stock them)

DD is up for her first pair of pointe shoes over Easter.  Her feet might be a bit tricky, so I would like some initial opinions please, of what sort of things to look for and what problems you have had if you have/have fitted similar feet.  And are these the sort of feet that will need shoes stuffed full of additional widgets and gizmos, and if so, which?*  

She has good toes (imo), not too long and the first 3 of a similar length.  No massive gaps between them.

Feet very wide, but quite squishy.  

No clue about her heels, but if they are like mine (and our feet are similar looking) they will be narrow.

Very high arches and goes onto demi-pointe with great ease.  If anything, I think she will tend to fall over the front and I have dim expectations of needing vamp elastic.  

Any thoughts?  

*They didn't have owt when I were a lass, so the current pointe shoe gadget market confuses me mightily.

Diva by Merlet ... DD finds them the absolute best

Worth taking a look, just make sure they don't sell you the width and size because it is in a stock but make sure it is the absolutely right fit ... it happens with all the brands ... sometimes they fit what is in stock then some other width perhaps would work better but is not in the shop... at least we seen it ...good luck with finding the perfect shoe!!!!

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 1

It sounds - by the "squishy" description - as though your dd may have compressible metatarsals, although you already know that a fitter will need to examine said feet in person.

Are you within travelling distance of London, Birmingham or Wisbech? As much as I am a huge fan of Freed's London store, it sounds as if you might be best starting at a store with multiple makes and styles of shoe. If London I would suggest making an appointment at Bloch BUT also asking across the road at Dancia for a senior fitter and also going to Freed (ask for Beth, Sophie or Jade). Don't buy the first pair without trying a LOT of others first.

If you can get to Wisbech then Sheila at Just Ballet is fabulous and stocks loads of different shoes.

And in Birmingham I have heard excellent things about Helène (?) at Dancique. :)

• Like 1

Sound's like my dd's feet! Would recommend going to Dancique Birmingham for fitting. Very friendly, knowledgeable people who will spend the time with you til they get a shoe thats right! Loads of makes, Grishco, Freed, Bloch, Merlet, Russian Pointe, Gaynor Minden - pointe shoe heaven! Best of luck x

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 1

I would recommend Dancique in Birmingham too. Even if you aren't local it's definitely worth travelling to as they stock lots of different makes & spend as much time as it takes to find the right shoe. After experiencing a fitting with little choice for dd's first pointe shoe fitting I would definitely recommend going somewhere with lots of choice & an experienced fitter. Helene in Dancique fitted dd & was wonderful

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with Tootu. Its worth the travel to Birmingham, dd's GM's almost dead so had a fitting whilst there at half term! All roads lead to Birmingham hehe! (Good for shopping, eating and BRB too!!)

You're right!! We live nowhere near Birmingham but always manage to tie in a trip with something else!!! It was BRB & a bit of shopping last time!

• Like 1

My dd has high arches and found demi pointe very easy and she has freed professionals - absolutely loves them as they suit her foot shape and she finds that they support her feet really well.  We have tried Bloch, GM's and Freed but she won't have anything other than the Freed now.

However, that said, each dancer will have their own preference even if they have similar shaped feet.  A good fitter with a wide range of choice is the best bet.  If you are in the North of England then I can recommend Planet Dance in Batley.  They have lots of makes in stock and they take the time to ensure the shoes are right before you leave the shop, each fitting is booked for at least an hour.  We can highly recommend them.

• Like 1

A post on this thread is hidden while it is under discussion by the moderators for being thought to contravene the Acceptable Use Policy and/or forum moderation policy.

Many thanks,

Anna C

on behalf of Balletcoforum Moderators

If it's anything like my DD Ballet school. ASK your DD's teacher for her preference.

It will be your DD's teacher that will be checking the shoe before you will be allowed to sew on ribbons and darn the toes.  

This could result in a very long expensive return journey for you if you do decide to travel outside your area for your DD's first shoes. Especially if her teacher decides that the shoe is not right. This does happen. 

Once they have become more established en pointe then you may be allowed to shop around.

Many manufacturers of Pointe Shoes have been in the business far longer than any of us being involved in Ballet, including their makers.

Just because one maker is not suitable for one dancer does not mean that the shoe is no good.

Just like street shoes bought from designers/manufactures as varied as Clarks or even Christian Louboutin not all size 5's shoes fit size 5 feet. 

PS Their is a link on Google of images of feet and the names that they are given depending on the shape of the toes. This may give you some indication of the kind of box you may be looking for, but apart from that you have to trust the trained fitter and teacher. 

• Like 1

You obviously know your daughter's feet well, r3dh3d - does her teacher have any recommendations of possible makes and styles of shoe to try? DD also has very high arches and has indeed fallen over the front of pointe shoes before - Bloch Axis (I think) and Freed Classic Pros after wearing them a couple of times. We now routinely add vamp elastic after that experience (she has long toes as well as banana feet) so that she feels more secure; as you can imagine it shook her confidence. The only very high vamped shoes we found were Grishko Vaganova - these were hard shanks (for which read 'cement-like'), with very narrow boxes and a very small platform and are also made for the Russian method of springing onto pointe, although DD had no problem rolling through her feet in them. Having said that, Bloch Serenade and Sonata had reasonably high vamps.

With high arches and the possibility of falling over the front of her shoes, I would definitely suggest trying as wide a range of shoes as possible, with an experienced fitter who is prepared to take as long as necessary to fit your DD. I would also talk to the teacher and ask for any suggestions (whilst politely making it clear that if she only favours one make then your DD may or may not end up in that make!) High arches, strong feet and a likelihood of killing shoes quickly is a pretty type of foot but seems to be difficult to fit well (and to try to avoid bankrupting parents!) We found that Grishko and Bloch hard shanks were much the best for DD in terms of relative longevity! before she moved onto Gaynor Mindens hard shanks - when her feet had stopped growing and having started with various makes (Bloch, Freed, Grishko) of the 'traditional' shoes. She would still happily wear Bloch Serenade strong shanks or Grishko Vaganova hard shanks now but found that other shoes in comparison died very quickly - but each to their own and every pair of feet is different and will change and develop.

If you are anywhere near Bristol, would recommend Dancewell

http://www.pointeshoe.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

I posted some time back about a lovely pointe shoe fitting we had for DD there, and I would genuinely recommend it in terms of having lots and lots of different options and a fitter willing to spend as long as it takes to find the right one.

No appointments needed, though i imagine that they get quite busy at weekends.

My dd has very wide feet and toes as you describe. Her ankles are very narrow though. Her first point shoes were from Bloch and had a gathered elasticated back as all other shoes gaped at the back ( a right pain to sew ribbons on) . Not sure which Bloch type they were though. She doesn't have very high arches so not sure if they will be suitable but were the only type in the shop that stayed on her ankles. She has Gaynor Mindens now and loves them. We got them from Dancia international in Druary Lane, they were great, didn't pressure sell us and took loads of time checking they fitted well with lots of different types.