On 23/07/2017 at 17:24, Don Q Fan said:

I have often remarked on the smell of fish in public areas at ROH, it is most off putting especially as it hits you the minute you walk in the main entrance!

Just wondering whether there's any connection with the enormous rubber fish being used to clobber people over the head in tonight's perfomance- yes I was baffled too but my seat was shaking with a fit of the giggles

Tremendous fun tonight..

• Like 4

Personally I never bother too much with the plots of the various DonQs....I know the main premise, so I just sit back and enjoy (I hope!) the dancing and pyrotechnics and don't take any of it too seriously, no matter which production it is.  As long as I come out with a smile on my face, that is pretty much all I ask of this ballet!!

• Like 7

Oxana Skorik has been replaced by Ekaterina Osmolkina tomorrow night in Swan Lake, doesn't look as if Skorik will be dancing in London, wonder who will dance Nikiya next Thursday. I would be pleased to see Osmolkina.

Is this the first time that the Mariinsky tour has not sold out? There are a lot of tickets left for the second Contrasts performance.

57 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Oxana Skorik has been replaced by Ekaterina Osmolkina tomorrow night in Swan Lake, doesn't look as if Skorik will be dancing in London, wonder who will dance Nikiya next Thursday. I would be pleased to see Osmolkina.

I think most likely Matvienko will dance Nikiya instead of Skorik because she danced it in St Petersburg with Kim just before the tour. 

• Like 1

Looks like Tereshkina has been shuffled to Thursday with Matvienko taking her place on Friday.

Which leaves me with an unhappy choice: I was looking forward to the Tereshkina/Shklyarov/Osmolkina "dream team" but now I have to decide between Thursday, Friday or even Saturday night, especially in light of doubts cast above about Matvienko. Any advice? Is Matvienko as disappointing as all that? Does the benefit of Shklyarov and Osmolkina outweigh any doubts about Matvienko?

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2

Oh my god. I have no idea about Matvienko's abilities and I will, of course, go anyway and give her the benefit of the doubt, but I only booked one ticket for La Bayadere this year and it was my hope of a 'perfect' performance with Tereshkina and Shklyarov and now they've shuffled everything around. I wish they had put a bit more thought into these changes of cast and reshuffles a bit sooner. Mildly devastated at this revelation. 

• Like 1

I guess  that the 'safe' bet is to put Tereshkina on on press night?

Matvienko for me is more of a Gamzatti than a Nikiya.

• Like 3

Disappointing cast changes :( 

In my opinion, and others might have a different view, Kim is technically the best male dancer in the Mariinsky. He has astonishing elevation and the Bayadere variations will show off his dancing to fabulous effect. But, and it's a pretty big BUT for me: he's from the method school of acting, he lacks nuance and subtlety, little things maybe, but to me they make the difference between a good performance and one that is moving and memorable. If I could only see one Bayadere I'd still choose Shklyarov ..... 

I wonder why has Kim been cast first night of the three full lengths ? With the cast changes because of Skorik's injury (which has been obvious for weeks/months in St Petersburg)  it means that Kim/Tereshkina have danced the first night of Don Q, Swan Lake, and Bayadere. Why not showcase other dancers on an important tour ? Although I suppose if you look at the list of current male principals it's hardly inspiring .......

• Like 2

It was Tereshkina and Parish (not Kim) for the first night of Swan Lake. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Johnpw said:

It was Tereshkina and Parish (not Kim) for the first night of Swan Lake. 

Sorry yes of course - my mistake ! 

That is really annoying.  I booked especially to see Tereshkina.  I have already seen Osmolkina.  Why on earth did they bring Skorik if they knew she was injured?  This tour is a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

Does this mean that The Marinsky only brought three female Principal dancers for this tour?

A disaster?  Because one (not universally popular) dancer is injured?  Dancers are human beings, not automatons.  Never mind, with advances in AI you may soon have the dancer of your dreams - no errors and no injuries.

• Like 2

I agree that injuries happen and that no-one should ever bank on being able to see a particular dancer on a given night. In the last RB season I've had at least three principals cancel on me late in the day, two of which I'd specifically wanted to see and one I was pretty pleased to see replaced! (That's out of perhaps nine visits this year.) I don't see anyone calling their season disastrous, despite that.

As for errors: I haven't yet seen any to signify - perhaps that will change over the next week. But like others above, I'd rather dancers took some risks that didn't come off than played within their comfort zone.

However (and I think I'm over the worst of any annoyance so I hope I'm being objective!) it does worry me that Tereshkina is apparently the only available dancer who they feel up to the job of opening night.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

That is really annoying.  I booked especially to see Tereshkina.  I have already seen Osmolkina.  Why on earth did they bring Skorik if they knew she was injured?  This tour is a disaster as far as I'm concerned.

Does this mean that The Marinsky only brought three female Principal dancers for this tour?

I'm not sure that the number of female principals that the company has brought is important, in the Mariinsky most of the First Soloists have danced principal roles for many years. I'm not even sure that the title of principal dancer is reliable as a measure of quality to distinguish Principal dancer from First Soloist. There are many ballet watchers in St Petersburg who would argue that some of the First Soloists are more talented than the Principals, on both the male and female sides. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, annamk said:

I'm not sure that the number of female principals that the company has brought is important, in the Mariinsky most of the First Soloists have danced principal roles for many years. I'm not even sure that the title of principal dancer is reliable as a measure of quality to distinguish Principal dancer from First Soloist. There are many ballet watchers in St Petersburg who would argue that some of the First Soloists are more talented than the Principals, on both the male and female sides. 

And not just ballet watchers in St Petersburg! (Of my 3 favorite Mariinsky ballerinas for the classics, only one is a Principal.)

1 hour ago, MAB said:

A disaster?  Because one (not universally popular) dancer is injured?  Dancers are human beings, not automatons.  Never mind, with advances in AI you may soon have the dancer of your dreams - no errors and no injuries.

Okay, MAB.  I will consider myself jumped all over for expressing an opinion which you disagree with.  Clearly I know nothing about Greek Islands and even less about ballet.  

I thought this was a forum for all, not just the purists.  Before bowing out, I will just comment that I have always been keen to learn and have acquired much valuable knowlege from those good enough to share it (thank-you Floss) with posters who admit they are amateurs.

I will not apologise for saying I have been disappointed with The Marinsky because I have.  Ballet and opera are one of my passions and I spend a disproportionate amount of my cash on indulging the habit.  Because I live a long way away, any trip to ROH is expensive and fatiguing, hence expectation is high.  With RB I have never yet been disappointed other than with Raven Girl.  I don't enjoy Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker so I choose not to book for those ballets, but everything else is always pretty wonderful as far as I'm concerned.

Prices for The Marinsky are sky high and I expect high standards which, in the main, (and as I made clear), I got.  But the magic wasn't there.  

May I end by saying that all forums need new blood if they are to survive in to the future.  The views of newcomers may sometimes be unwelcome but nurture works rather better than censure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ENBlover said:

Perhaps words like 'disaster' can only lead to more drama. We all need to take a step back. 

Indeed, in the theatre world I believe the definition of a disaster is a half empty house.

• Like 1

So Viktoria Tereshkina dances the opening night again with Kimin Kim, although obviously pleased (I saw them in Don Q) I do feel very sorry for those who booked for Friday, not really surprised as press nights are so important, glad Kim is still dancing though, I think I passed him on Floral Street on opening night and hoped it was an omen!

Wasn't Skorik originally dancing two Nikiyas?  I'm sure I had her down for it twice, with different Solors or Gamzattis.

2 minutes ago, alison said:

Wasn't Skorik originally dancing two Nikiyas?  I'm sure I had her down for it twice, with different Solors or Gamzattis.

Yes: with Kim on the opening night and with Yermakov on the Sat matinee.

6 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Okay, MAB.  I will consider myself jumped all over for expressing an opinion which you disagree with.  Clearly I know nothing about Greek Islands and even less about ballet.  

I thought this was a forum for all, not just the purists.  Before bowing out, I will just comment that I have always been keen to learn and have acquired much valuable knowlege from those good enough to share it (thank-you Floss) with posters who admit they are amateurs.

I will not apologise for saying I have been disappointed with The Marinsky because I have.  Ballet and opera are one of my passions and I spend a disproportionate amount of my cash on indulging the habit.  Because I live a long way away, any trip to ROH is expensive and fatiguing, hence expectation is high.  With RB I have never yet been disappointed other than with Raven Girl.  I don't enjoy Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker so I choose not to book for those ballets, but everything else is always pretty wonderful as far as I'm concerned.

Prices for The Marinsky are sky high and I expect high standards which, in the main, (and as I made clear), I got.  But the magic wasn't there.  

May I end by saying that all forums need new blood if they are to survive in to the future.  The views of newcomers may sometimes be unwelcome but nurture works rather better than censure.

Please don't stop posting, penelopesimpson. Your contributions are interesting and honest and passionate, and that's really valuable. And I wouldn't have been able to tell that you were a 'newcomer' from what you write.

I have to say that it does seem to be rather pointless booking (or having booked) for any particular cast for this season. I only booked for one performance and I didn't mind what cast it was since I don't know the dancers well enough. Just as well!

• Like 4

Penelope please don't stop posting.  I would hope that everyone who posts on the Forum feels welcome and I am sorry that you do not feel so at the moment.

I am too far out of the Mariinsky loop to have been bothered about which cast I saw for my one performance next Saturday.  I just booked for a date that was convenient for me.  Coming from Liverpool to London these days is not a cheap outing by any stretch of the imagination and I do have to think much more about what I do than I used to.

I booked extra performances for a company a couple of years ago specifically to see my favourite dancer.  The casts were moved around the day after I had booked and I didn't see him on either visit.  Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued but at least I enjoyed the performances I saw, although it was a 200 mile round trip for each one.  

• Like 4

Very thrilled my granddaughter has managed to get me tickets for Contrasts on Tuesday. No wheelchair seats so my lovely husband will get me into a seat in the balcony. Opera house staff very good helping parking the chair. 

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing Contrasts on Wednesday.  It was the only date I could do, so was very pleased that Xander Parrish is dancing.