The Mariinsky - booking and casting discussion 2017

The today’s announcement on the Mariinsky’s website about the ballet season in London says:

“The casts in London will be graced with the names of Diana Vishneva, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Viktoria Tereshkina, Nadezhda Batoeva, Elena Yevseeva, Anastasia Matvienko, Ekaterina Osmolkina, Ekaterina Chebykina, Renata Shakirova, Timur Askerov, Yevgeny Ivanchenko, Kimin Kim, Vladimir Shklyarov, Andrei Yermakov, Konstantin Zverev, Xander Parish, Alexander Sergeyev, Filipp Stepin, Ernest Latypov and Roman Belyakov.”  https://www.mariinsky.ru/news1/2017/07/21_1

The name of Oksana Skorik is missing there.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Quixote

25 & 26 July 2017
Orchestra Stalls tickets £65
Amphitheatre tickets £35

This summer sees the return of the magnificent Mariinsky Ballet and you can now get tickets for their production of Don Quixote at a special price of £65 in the Orchestra Stalls or £35 in the Amphitheatre. This special offer is only valid for two performances onTuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 July, so move fast to secure your tickets!

This production of Petipa and Gorsky’s exuberant classic is the perfect vehicle for the brilliance of the Mariinsky dancers, whose displays of dazzling choreography are highlighted by Minkus’ irresistible music.

How to book

• Choose your preferred performance on 25 July or 26 July

• Enter the promo code 'donquixote'

• Choose your seats in the Orchestra Stalls or Amphitheatre and select the special offer price

• Proceed to checkout

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-alexander-gorsky?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017_jul_mariinsky_offer&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=34216

9 hours ago, Annasophia said:

Don Quixote

25 & 26 July 2017
Orchestra Stalls tickets £65
Amphitheatre tickets £35

This summer sees the return of the magnificent Mariinsky Ballet and you can now get tickets for their production of Don Quixote at a special price of £65 in the Orchestra Stalls or £35 in the Amphitheatre. This special offer is only valid for two performances onTuesday 25 and Wednesday 26 July, so move fast to secure your tickets!

This production of Petipa and Gorsky’s exuberant classic is the perfect vehicle for the brilliance of the Mariinsky dancers, whose displays of dazzling choreography are highlighted by Minkus’ irresistible music.

How to book

• Choose your preferred performance on 25 July or 26 July

• Enter the promo code 'donquixote'

• Choose your seats in the Orchestra Stalls or Amphitheatre and select the special offer price

• Proceed to checkout

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/don-quixote-by-alexander-gorsky?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017_jul_mariinsky_offer&utm_content=version_A&emailsource=34216

Obviously a mistake to bring Don Q

I have just had an alarming experience with this. Beware, on my iphone the promotion code box can't be found and as I sifted through the pages the ROH system has just automatically sold me an £80 full price ticket without requesting payment details. I have no idea how they did this, as I tend never to leave payment details on sites, and trying again is not an attractive notion. Ideally I will be refunded in the morning and will still be able to get the offer. Ideally. 

Edited by ismeneb

34 minutes ago, ismeneb said:

I have just had an alarming experience with this. Beware, on my iphone the promotion code box can't be found and as I sifted through the pages the ROH system has just automatically sold me an £80 full price ticket without requesting payment details. I have no idea how they did this, as I tend never to leave payment details on sites, and trying again is not an attractive notion. Ideally I will be refunded in the morning and will still be able to get the offer. Ideally. 

How awful.  I hope you get your refund tomorrow.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alison said:

I've had an email through from the ROH relating to dining for Swan Lake: it appears to be fish, and more fish.  Clothespegs may be required for patrons in certain areas of the auditorium :(

wrapped in newspaper?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, alison said:

I've had an email through from the ROH relating to dining for Swan Lake: it appears to be fish, and more fish.  Clothespegs may be required for patrons in certain areas of the auditorium :(

It's time ROH realised the limitations of the buildings and banned fish altogether.  The place reeks

• Like 3

Thanks Jan. The Roh says that the promo code box does not appear in around 1in 5 customers' pages. And the system logged my card unbeknownst to me on a previous ticket purchase. And I was on my iphone, which added to the potential to go wrong. It is all sorted now and I did get the offer. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Just to get everyone in the mood for the Mariinsky season here is a lovely video interview with Xander Parish:

I've been in the mood since the announcement that they were coming.

• Like 1

A question to those who are familiar with the Mariinsky's mixed bill (some Carmen thing, the precise title of which escapes me, Infra, Paquita Grand Pas): if you were only able to see one part of it, which would you advise (and why, if you're feeling expansive)?  Viewing from rear amphi, if that makes any difference.

Re Don Quixote. I have been reading about it on Wikipedia.  Does the Mariinsky give us "Petipa's first version from 1869", or "Petipa's second version from 1871" - or perhaps some other version altogether?  If the latter, is there anywhere I can read up the story in advance?

21 minutes ago, assoluta said:

Alison, the Grand Pas from Paquita, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, from the rear of the amphitheatre you will not see much, I am afraid.

The view from the rear of the amphitheatre is a distant one but you can still see the whole stage. I've often watched performances from there and, with the help of binoculars for detail, I've never felt I was missing anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David-G said:

Re Don Quixote. I have been reading about it on Wikipedia.  Does the Mariinsky give us "Petipa's first version from 1869", or "Petipa's second version from 1871" - or perhaps some other version altogether?  If the latter, is there anywhere I can read up the story in advance?

The Mariinsky website says the choreography is by Alexander Gorsky "after Petipa" (1900 and 1902) with some additional or variant dances by Lopukhov and Anisimova. As a start, there's a synopsis of their version here (hope the link works):

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/repertoire/ballet/donquixot 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnpw said:

The Mariinsky website says the choreography is by Alexander Gorsky "after Petipa" (1900 and 1902) with some additional or variant dances by Lopukhov and Anisimova. As a start, there's a synopsis of their version here (hope the link works):

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/repertoire/ballet/donquixot 

Perfect.  Just what I was after!  This forum is brilliant.

• Like 2

On 23/07/2017 at 17:24, Don Q Fan said:

I have often remarked on the smell of fish in public areas at ROH, it is most off putting especially as it hits you the minute you walk in the main entrance!

Just wondering whether there's any connection with the enormous rubber fish being used to clobber people over the head in tonight's perfomance- yes I was baffled too but my seat was shaking with a fit of the giggles

Tremendous fun tonight..

• Like 4

Personally I never bother too much with the plots of the various DonQs....I know the main premise, so I just sit back and enjoy (I hope!) the dancing and pyrotechnics and don't take any of it too seriously, no matter which production it is.  As long as I come out with a smile on my face, that is pretty much all I ask of this ballet!!

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Oxana Skorik has been replaced by Ekaterina Osmolkina tomorrow night in Swan Lake, doesn't look as if Skorik will be dancing in London, wonder who will dance Nikiya next Thursday. I would be pleased to see Osmolkina.

I think most likely Matvienko will dance Nikiya instead of Skorik because she danced it in St Petersburg with Kim just before the tour. 

• Like 1

Looks like Tereshkina has been shuffled to Thursday with Matvienko taking her place on Friday.

Which leaves me with an unhappy choice: I was looking forward to the Tereshkina/Shklyarov/Osmolkina "dream team" but now I have to decide between Thursday, Friday or even Saturday night, especially in light of doubts cast above about Matvienko. Any advice? Is Matvienko as disappointing as all that? Does the benefit of Shklyarov and Osmolkina outweigh any doubts about Matvienko?

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 2

Oh my god. I have no idea about Matvienko's abilities and I will, of course, go anyway and give her the benefit of the doubt, but I only booked one ticket for La Bayadere this year and it was my hope of a 'perfect' performance with Tereshkina and Shklyarov and now they've shuffled everything around. I wish they had put a bit more thought into these changes of cast and reshuffles a bit sooner. Mildly devastated at this revelation. 

• Like 1