• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a quick look and what a disappointment, Sylvia, Baiser de la Fee and Manon excepted, lots of ballets I don't like (Song of the Earth, Judas Tree, Untouchable), makes the new Swan Lake suddenly seem exciting!

I attended the press conference earlier on behalf of balletcoforum.

O'Hare stressed the importance of being a national company within a national theatre.  I took this to mean being a flagship company, together with the work done nationally, particularly in the learning and participation sphere (see the press release for details on National Nutcracker).

He also stressed the importance of collaboration and pointed to work with new choreographers and the MacMillan celebration.  He noted that the existing RB sets and costumes would be provided to the other companies, except for La Baiser de la fée, which isn't in the RB rep but will have new designs by Gary Harris.

He then spoke to Deborah, Lady MacMillan about Kenneth's legacy and they both said how delighted they were about working with the other companies and how excited the other companies were.

On the trip to Hull, O'Hare said he was very happy that the RB performance will be (re)opening the refurbished New Theatre.

There is much excitement within the RB regarding the new Swan Lake.  It is progressing well and O'Hare has seen the designs and says they are "pretty special".

O'Hare also stressed the importance of the dancers working with "his generation", who still have a link back to MacMillan and Ashton.  He mentioned the recent work done with Viviana Durante and Darcey Bussell and that Leanne Benjamin is currently working on Mayerling.  Carlos Acosta will return as guest principal repetiteur.

In response to questions, O'Hare said that Cinderella will be back and hinted that there may be new designs.  He also said that he has no current plans to bring in any new principals from outside the company and he is concentrating on developing the current talent within the company.

I'd mention that the critics I was speaking to after the PC were all generally positive about the forthcoming season but I only spoke to a handful of people.

• Like 10

Thank you very much BBB :)

I don't suppose Kevin said whose Swan Lake it would now be? I ask because, since the initial announcement, this has morphed from a new production by Liam Scarlett to one with "additional choreography" by him.

Interesting to note that Gary Harris (who seemed to spring from almost nowhere to being a (the) primary 'stager' of MacMillan) has now extended his talents to design!!!!

I

4 minutes ago, capybara said:

Thank you very much BBB :)

I don't suppose Kevin said whose Swan Lake it would now be? I ask because, since the initial announcement, this has morphed from a new production by Liam Scarlett to one with "additional choreography" by him.

Interesting to note that Gary Harris (who seemed to spring from almost nowhere to being a (the) primary 'stager' of MacMillan) has now extended his talents to design!!!!

The press release says: "For this new production Scarlett will remain faithful to the original 1895 production by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov and brings a fresh eye to this enduring classic."  It's still very much Scarlett's production, so far as I know.

17 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I

The press release says: "For this new production Scarlett will remain faithful to the original 1895 production by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov and brings a fresh eye to this enduring classic."  It's still very much Scarlett's production, so far as I know.

Oh, thank you. That's interesting as the general material online doesn't seem to say that. But I have found it now in the Press Release itself which is also online: http://www.roh.org.uk/for/press-and-communications

4 hours ago, Mary said:

I love Winter's Tale too but could have waited another year as it was only on  a year ago AND it was live screened.

Not last run, it wasn't.

4 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

My annual remark - nothing by Cathy Marston.  

My annual remark: nothing from my wishlist as usual.

I am resigned to the fact that the Big Three MacMillan ballets go round in rotation.  This year Mayerling, next year Manon.  Start picking your casts now for R & J in 2018/19.  I am also resigned to the fact that the RB will be doing the Nutcracker for ever more at Christmas, unless another ballet can be restaged slightly. I can't see any reason why Cinderella shouldn't go to the Christmas ball, and have the ballroom decorated with a Christmas tree?

• Like 6

I like your thinking Fonty.  Add a bit of tinsel to the Wili wings and santa hats on top of their veils and Giselle could fill the Christmas spot too.  

I would also like to add to our "reasons to be cheerful" that at least there is not a sniff of Beatrix Potter in sight.

• Like 3

Well, I am glad they are bringing back Sylvia (Tierney Heap as Sylvia, anyone?!).  Not because it's one of the greatest ballets of all time, but because after the amount of time, money and effort that went into reviving it, it would be a pity for it to disappear.  Am also glad to be seeing some of MacMillan's lesser-known works in addition to one of The Big Three.  I think it is a nice idea to include other British ballet companies in the MacMillan celebrations, and that they should join together to commemorate the passing of, and the eternal gift to ballet that was, Kenneth MacMillan. Very disappointed that there is no Onegin and no Bayadere.   Even more disappointed that a slot in a triple bill is being taken up by Age of Anxiety.  Also, that Judas Tree is in two triples and Syncopations is in three.  Surely there are other pieces that could have slotted in to avoid this repetition?  On the other hand, I guess we have to remember the dancers;  there just isn't time for them to learn loads of new things throughout the year, so it makes sense from that point of view to repeat a couple of things that are already known.  To many in this young company, Judas and Syncopations will be new pieces.  I am also surprised that Untouchables is coming back, especially so soon after Pite's wonderful Flight Pattern, to which it has already been compared.  There is no comparison, as far as I'm concerned! 

I am fine seeing Winter's Tale again as I really ended up liking it a lot after the last run.  Seems like it is Wheeldon's year next year, what with that, Alice and a new piece! 

I can understand why people are "Giselled out" as we have really had a glut of this ballet recently.  However, there could be some great casting here and personally it is not a ballet I ever get sick of, so am happy with that too.

As mentioned elsewhere, I think the casting will be more interesting than the programming next year.  Let's hope that if Swan Lake is draining resources, that it is worth the money, time and effort.  It sounds to me like they are keeping it quite traditional (and for God's sake yes, please keep the mime) and that this time much more of an eye is being kept on what Scarlett does.  I guess with a heritage piece like SL they can't afford to take risks as with Frankenstein and Sweet Violets.....

• Like 4

3 hours ago, James said:

Doubters might want to have a look at this:

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/swan-lake-by-liam-scarlett

I LOVE this page: primarily a page for buying tickets, it has a synopsis, which (on my machine anyway) has a paragraph hidden from view as it "Contains spoilers". Spoilers for the plot of Swan Lake, that has made my day!

On a serious note, I see this season is "celebrating" Kenneth MacMillan. That makes this coming year different from the last ones exactly how, Lady M?

Bruce Wall "So looking forward to seeing Hayward and Muntagirov in Manon again too.  Such brilliant depictions."

I thought Francesca was partnered by Ed Watson when she debuted as Manon?  I do recall (very fondly) Francesca and Vadim in Alice.

I'm excited by what the new season has for us and applaud Kevin O'Hare's massive vote of confidence in the Royal Ballet's many talents, younger and older dancers, and choreographers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Bruce Wall "So looking forward to seeing Hayward and Muntagirov in Manon again too.  Such brilliant depictions."

I thought Francesca was partnered by Ed Watson when she debuted as Manon?  I do recall (very fondly) Francesca and Vadim in Alice.

I'm excited by what the new season has for us and applaud Kevin O'Hare's massive vote of confidence in the Royal Ballet's many talents, younger and older dancers, and choreographers.

I don't think Bruce was saying that they danced it together, John, simply that he is looking forward to seeing each of them perform their roles again in this ballet....as am I! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I LOVE this page: primarily a page for buying tickets, it has a synopsis, which (on my machine anyway) has a paragraph hidden from view as it "Contains spoilers". Spoilers for the plot of Swan Lake, that has made my day!

On a serious note, I see this season is "celebrating" Kenneth MacMillan. That makes this coming year different from the last ones exactly how, Lady M?

To be fair, we are only getting two MacMillan pieces this season:  Anastasia and Mayerling.

• Like 2

Some good things to look forward to next season, but disappointed that all of the MacMillan celebrations are only on on weekday evenings - with almost 3hr running times for 2 of them, that is difficult for me as my last train is 10.40!  

• Like 4

I see I got some predictions correct: Alice, Elite Syncopations, Giselle, Manon. Admittedly, I expected either Giselle or Manon, not both, and not quite so much in the way of Elite Syncopations.  Or of Swan Lake, for that matter.  More surprised by the lack of Forsythe, if only because they were staging him this year--hasn't  it been forever since RB did In the Middle?--and by no Les Patineurs.  

11 hours ago, select*from said:

Highlights for those who don't have time to go through the links:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Wheeldon)

Jeux (Eagling, in the Clore)

Concerto (BRB) / Le Baiser de la fée (SB) / Elite Syncopations (BRB, ENB, NB, RB, SB) (MacMillan)

The Judas Tree (RB) / Song of the Earth (ENB) (MacMillan)

Sea of Troubles (MacMillan, in the Clore, performed by Yorke Dance Project)

Gloria (NB) / The Judas Tree (RB) / Elite Syncopations (BRB, NB, RB, SB) (MacMillan)

The Illustrated 'Farewell' (New, Tharp) / The Wind (New, Pita) / Untouchable (Shechter)

Sylvia (Ashton)

The Nutcracker (Wright after Ivanov) 

Giselle (Petipa after Coralli and Perrot)

The Winter's Tale (Wheeldon)

New Mcgregor / The Age of Anxiety (Scarlett) / New Wheeldon

Manon (MacMillan)

Obsidian Tear / Marguerite and Armand / Elite Syncopations

Swan Lake (Scarlett)

BORING :-(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Margaret said:

Some good things to look forward to next season, but disappointed that all of the MacMillan celebrations are only on on weekday evenings - with almost 3hr running times for 2 of them, that is difficult for me as my last train is 10.40!  

And no chance for anyone outside London - there is life outside London ROH and it takes time to get to/from London so a little more consideration would have been appreciated.  

Overall it is going to be a very cheap year for me as far as ROH is concerned.  

• Like 7

9 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Not very inspiring - just as well given my financial situation!  But could get more interesting when we get casting details, and I'm sorry, but unlike many on the Forum I love Winters Tale. Good to see Obsidian Tear again and Concerto but some of the revivals leave me cold

I also enjoy Winters Tale and am happy to see it again.  The Judas Tree - once was enough, and Song of the Earth has been done to death

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yes, it was Edward Watson and they were fantastic together.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

I also enjoy Winters Tale and am happy to see it again.  The Judas Tree - once was enough, and Song of the Earth has been done to death

IMHO Song of the Earth is immortal... However, I personally suspect that if Judas Tree hadn't turned out to be MacMillan's last ballet it would have died a quiet and deserved death. Having said that I suppose I should really see it again to see if my opinion of it changes.

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 3

Somewhat underwhelmed. Two full length Wheeldons is definitely too much for one season. On the other hand, it's going to be cheap.

I've just booked more Songs than I'm likely to enjoy at ENB because they are mixing it up with two different pieces, so the last thing I expected was for it to pop up in the ROH programme as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bridiem said:

I personally suspect that if Judas Tree hadn't turned out to be MacMillan's last ballet it would have died a quiet and deserved death. Having said that I suppose I should really see it again to see if my opinion of it changes.

I don't think I'll even see it once - my revulsion still pretty vivid from last time

• Like 3

Yes, we did.  Seems a bit early to be coming round again, but having said that, Giselle is a ballet I adore and am happy to see over and over again.  I don't mind Sylvia, I really enjoyed it the last time I saw it.  Yes, it is a very silly story, but it has some gorgeous music, and lots of lovely dancing.  Whether I dip into my wallet or not depends on the cast.

The problem for me with next's year's season is the content of the various triple bills. They either have too many new works, or contain ballets I have seen several times and contain nothing I would particularly want to see again.  If a triple bill has two new works in it, that is one too many for me, and I wouldn't book until I had at least some idea what I was getting.  Regarding the others, there is so much repetition of what I consider to be less than great works by established choreographers.  Strange to pick, say, M & A, when there are so many ballets I am itching to see on a triple bill, which haven't been done in ages.  I think I am going to write to Mr O'Hare and ask him to think about putting the Kingdom of the Shades on one of those.  I've just spent a few minutes looking at the Royal Ballet's rep on the ROH website, which lists the various casts for Nureyev's version.  Goodness me, there were some well known names amongst those Shades, led  by Sibley or Park.  Now, who wouldn't pay good money to see 35 of the current female dancers step out on stage together.   Form an orderly queue, please!

Also, can anyone tell me the last time the RB did Ballet Imperial?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  And what about Cranko's Taming of the Shrew?  I assume the RB must have performed it, anybody know anything about it?  Looking at the back catalogue, I do question the thought behind some of the recent new stagings of ballets such as Don Quixote, when there are lots of things that are far more interesting (to me, anyway) that could be performed.  

Edited by Fonty
spelling correction
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Also, can anyone tell me the last time the RB did Ballet Imperial?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  And what about Cranko's Taming of the Shrew?  I assume the RB must have performed it, anybody know anything about it?  

Ballet Imperial - 2006.

Taming of the Shrew - 1977 (well before my time).  It's now in the BRB rep, so I wouldn't expect RB to try it again.