Amore: Zakharova Triple Bill at London Coliseum in November 2017

I googled Zvetlana Zakharova Amore and got various results, including quite a long puff piece for the work on youtube. I can't transfer any of it here as my tablet only seems to permit the most rudimentary punctuation, so anything more is probably beyond it even if I knew how to do it.

Anyway, the work looks as though it may be worth a view, although perhaps a tad overwrought in parts. As MAB says, these extravaganzas are often no more than vanity projects. I have never seen Zakharova live and time must be ticking to do so. I may give it it a try for that reason alone, so thanks to Don Q for the tip!

• Like 1

I find the scepticism and mention of a Vanity Project a bit unfair. If anyone in ballet is deserving or qualifying for a triple bill of his/her own choosing it is Svetlana Zakharova, simply the best prima Ballerina of her generation.

I wish her all the best and success, as her talent and experience fully deserve, very much more so than Osipova/ Polunin who perhaps qualify much more in terms of Vanity in general.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 3

I think if judged based on other programmes by equally famous dancers at the London Coliseum in recent years, the assumption that this is likely to be a vanity project is spot on. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth watching, but it helps to be prepared for some inexplicable choreography choices.

• Like 4

I think if judged based on other programmes by equally famous dancers at the London Coliseum in recent years, the assumption that this is likely to be a vanity project is spot on. That doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth watching, but it helps to be prepared for some inexplicable choreography choices.

Zakharova has already toured a bit with this program, so it isn't as though it has been designed for the London audience. Also, a good reminder that although dancers may have the same level of fame, I don't think that any of them are as talented. Only possibly Vishneva comes close

• Like 1

Zakharova is basically a contortionist, in no way is she a classical ballerina however I do like her in modern work and I imagine she'd be a wow in McGregor.  If it is a modern programme I might well take a look, but will avoid if it's not.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the tip, Don Q fan; I've just bought the tickets! I have never seen Svetlana Zakharova live, so am now looking forward to this performance, sounds fabulous to me! Besides, any excuse is fine to visit London in pre-Christmas time and hopefully will be able to combine this performance with another one in ROH/Sadler's Wells!

Zakharova is basically a contortionist, in no way is she a classical ballerina however I do like her in modern work and I imagine she'd be a wow in McGregor.  If it is a modern programme I might well take a look, but will avoid if it's not.

I don't agree with either proposition: Zakharova is a supreme classical dancer, and actually she doesn't seem well suited for Modern (I saw her many times in both).

Edited by assoluta
  • Like 4

Well everyone is entitled to their own tastes!

Zakharova's classical expression tend to go to the mannerism direction and although her technique and physique is stunning and suited for classical ballet, I can understand she might not be everyone's cup of tea. Also her expression and acting is not the same level as her technique. But she is a superb classicist. 

I do like her dancing contemporary choreography, I think these years she prefers to dance modern stuff in galas, and in some works she is very good with her other-worldly hyper extention, I liked her especially in Nacho Duato's Cor Perdut and Krzysztof Pastor's Tristan and Isolde, Motoko Hirayama's Revelation. But of course everyone has their own opinion and is free to express it. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was just going to ask on another thread what is Putrov doing these days, and I see this is an Ivan Putrov production, so that's  one answer.

Ivan Putrov is also producing his Men in Motion Shows. One took place in Kiev last November and he has two more in Kiev in April.

Men in Motion returns to the Coliseum alongside Amore in Novemver 2017. This is what he recently posted on Facebook:

Very happy to be returning to London Coliseum with Men in Motion 22 & 23 November and so lucky to have such great artists working with me: Edward WatsonArthur PitaDaniel Proietto, Russell Maliphant, Irek Mukhamedov, Matthew Ball. Full cast and programme will be announced at a later date.

Ivan also dances in his own shows and as an international guest artist in full length works and Galas.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I received this from the London Coliseum today:

We are writing to inform you about a change in performance dates that affects your booking for Svetlana Zakharova – Amore. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the production's opening night will now take place on Tuesday 21 November. The performance you have booked for, Monday 20 November, has now been taken off sale.

To change your tickets to an alternative date, or to arrange a full refund, please contact the box office by 29 September. You can contact us:
By emailing box.office@eno.org
By calling us on 020 7845 9300 between 10.00-18.00, Monday-Saturday.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 16:26, Amelia said:

I received this from the London Coliseum today:

We are writing to inform you about a change in performance dates that affects your booking for Svetlana Zakharova – Amore. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the production's opening night will now take place on Tuesday 21 November. The performance you have booked for, Monday 20 November, has now been taken off sale.

To change your tickets to an alternative date, or to arrange a full refund, please contact the box office by 29 September.

Following a message above from the London Coliseum about the cancellation of the performance on the 20th of November I phoned them and they replaced my ticket for the 20th by a ticket for the 21st. The Balcony tickets were unavailable at all because they closed the Balcony.

Yesterday they decided to open sale for the Balcony and any seats there are available at the moment. Interestingly, the Upper Circle is apparently full now, the message says: "This area has no available seats." 

Edited by Amelia
added the last 6 words.

I saw this triple bill at in Japan in September and at least I can say this is not a vanity project, although opinions would be subject to the viewers choice. 

The three programs each has a unique taste, all modern choreography. 

Possokhov's Francesca da Rimini has a dramatic story and the music (from the opera of the same title) many might remind it is the same music used in Cranko's Onegin.  A little campy but enjoyable piece. de Bana's Rain Before it Falls is a purely abstract one, and Strokes Through the Tail shows the comedy side of Zakharova.

And as Shade mentions, the dancers from Bolshoi are fabulous. Mikhail Lobuhin, Denis Rodkin, Denis Savin, and also there are several female dancers from Bolshoi including Ana Turazashvili in  Francesca da Rimini. 

• Like 2