MDS Funding

hoglett

I'm wanting to find out more information about the MDS award.  Is it a case that if your DD is good enough/gets a place and you fall into the category to be eligible for a MDS award - you get it?  I can't believe that it's that easy.  I'm sorry if this has been discussed before - I have done a quick search which now means that I know the difference between MDS and DADA so thanks for that.  I'm looking at Elmhurst and Hammond potentially in three years time.

Thanks

........ Yes, so in theory s DC could be given a place at Hammond or Tring but not necessarily an MDS funded place. I've even heard of some children at Elmhurst not being offered an MDS place, not sure about WL. As Sarahw says there are school bursaries & scholarships available at some schools when an MDS isn't offered.

• Like 1

There are very few Mds awards at Tring and Hammond. All rbs students get one providing they are from uk and parents earn under £250,000. Not all Elmhurst students receive. If you watch 'the ballet school', you can follow the story of Dominic. Accepted at Elmhurst but no funding. His parents remortgaged but their money run out in yr8, I think. He then had to leave but did go to Hammond.

Maybe the principal got her numbers mixed up then?? Could be very misleading/confusing for those at the audition yesterday!!

......unless the error is mine and I've misheard the figures?? Was anybody at the audition yesterday that could confirm??

Edited by Pointe-less

The RBS site has a fees calculator which if up-to-date shows how much you might get - the value is different for boarders and day pupils and it also depends on siblings and other carer responsibilities - the basic cut off is around £175k.

Just out of sheer curiosity and lack of customers I tried this out.

If your gross income is £190,000 with one dependant your contribution would be £900 .

Cut off for MDS earnings is £140k ish, are you sure RBS is different?

As far as I understand it, there isn't a limit to the number of MDS places available at RBS, but the rule is the same as the others in that your earnings have to be below the earnings threshold in order to be eligible. Basically at RBS if your dc is offered a place and you qualify for MDS you will get the funding.

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 2

As far as I understand it, there isn't a limit to the number of MDS places available at RBS, but the rule is the same as the others in that your earnings have to be below the earnings threshold in order to be eligible. Basically at RBS if your dc is offered a place and you qualify for MDS you will get the funding.

Yes, I quite understand. I was just confused by the £250k limit being mentioned as I know that's not the case for us.

So £195k seems to be about the cut off at RBS. I put in our wages and the same contribution came out as we are currently paying, it just seems to have a higher cut off. It also looks as if day pupils have the same cut off point whereas at our school day pupils have a lower threshold by about £20k. Interesting.

Just looked at Purcell school where my brother in law went and their threshold has changed - the scheme must have changed recently to include a higher threshold. Good news for more families.

Edited to add last para.

Edited by Harwel

I agree....& for something that is publically funded it is frankly appalling! More transparency & a 'Plain English' approach is required.

Open gender inequality is admitted by key decision makers at some schools making these awards....hmmm......sex equality commissions should be interested in this one....& that's just for starters!

• Like 1

The MDS system has never been fair, I could write a whole essay on it!

What I’ve never quite got my head around is the piffling amount they deduct from your gross income for additional children - about £2000 a year. Anyone know the rationale behind this? Are they implying that the rest of the family should be prepared to live on baked beans so that we can support dd?

• Like 3

I agree BlouLou....cetainly they asume you can only have one DC in the family & all others must do nothing extra in life as lets face it, £2000 a year woudl not come close to what most families have spent helping those DC's with an MDS offer to get to where their love of dance became matched by standard to get a place! Add up lessons, associate scheme costs, holiday courses, dance kit, petrol, lost work days, audition fees, travel costs & hotel accommodation etc etc etc.....Now what about the sibling who loves football? Bet there are similar training schemes & holiday courses & I bet they are not free!!

All kids deserve an equal shot at following their dreams & yes, I do worry that sometimes the DC get financial priority over others in our families.....

• Like 6

What I’ve never quite got my head around is the piffling amount they deduct from your gross income for additional children - about £2000 a year. Anyone know the rationale behind this? Are they implying that the rest of the family should be prepared to live on baked beans so that we can support dd?

Oh yes! This is a stupid amount, additional child costs far more than that!!

I'm interested to know about costs in sixth form with the focus on ballet so elmhurst, Central, ENB, tring, royal, ballet theatre uk etc . I understand the dada operates and the cut off point. How much can you expect to pay if you are not entitled to anything? I'm happy for people to pm too if they can help. I need to know how realistic it is for my child to go if lucky enough of course. Thanks

• Like 1

I'm interested to know about costs in sixth form with the focus on ballet so elmhurst, Central, ENB, tring, royal, ballet theatre uk etc . I understand the dada operates and the cut off point. How much can you expect to pay if you are not entitled to anything? I'm happy for people to pm too if they can help. I need to know how realistic it is for my child to go if lucky enough of course. Thanks

We’re just at the research stage - dd will apply for upper schools next year. You have to look at tuition costs, accommodation costs, and what sort of student finance you can access. If you are not lucky enough to get a dada or other financial assistance from a school, then Central and Rambert are the cheapest tuition fees as they are degrees and fee capped at about £9000, which you can get a student loan to cover. By comparison, tuition fees at Covent Garden are around £18000 and you can’t apply for a student loan. However, I think Liberty Living type student accommodation near Central costs around £13000 a year, compared to about £10000 a year boarding fees at Covent Garden. Ballet West is also around £9000 a year, but I believe you can only get a student loan to cover £6000 of that. The accommodation there is much cheaper, around £5000 I think. Then there are several other schools which seem to be well-regarded but are not quite so prestigious or expensive - such as KS Dance in Warrington or Chantry in Grantham. What you need is a good spreadsheet! 

• Like 1