Is it worth it Auditioning for Rambert/LSC

caait_18

I'm 19, and completely love ballet, I know I'm way to late to get into a company so I thought about teaching or pre-professional. I love the idea of the degree that Rambert offer as there is no upper age limit however it's 2 and 1/2 hours away from me. When I noticed EBS sixth Form but then I ruled it out due to it being 16-18. I would love to study dance full time. I currently do intermediate RAD and pointe but that's only 2 hours a week as that's all the ballet for my age my school offers.

My question is, is there any point putting in the effort and auditioning if I'm going to be 19/20 by the time I start? Also if I did study dance, does the chance decrease of performing and teaching the older you get? I would of loved to if done it younger but we just didn't have the finances.

Any advice would be sooo helpful as I'm stressing out

Thanks

Have you looked at RAD BA (Honours) Ballet Education? 3 year programme to teach - entry requirements - All three of these requirements must be met:

• Three GCE A Level passes (Grades B, B, C) or equivalent.
  • RAD Intermediate or equivalent standard in ballet.
  • English Language Proficiency test required for applicants whose first language is not English.

more info at RAD.org.uk

PS. definitely worth trying at Rambert - if you don't try , you won't know - good luck :)

Edited by Kat09
  • Like 2

Thanks for your advice Kat09, yeah I have definitely looked at the RAD degrees but I don't have the A-Levels to support me as I only have AS levels and for Rambert you don't need a-levels. That's the only reason I was put off RAD because I would Have to take an access course or something to apply for it

Thanks for your advice Kat09, yeah I have definitely looked at the RAD degrees but I don't have the A-Levels to support me as I only have AS levels and for Rambert you don't need a-levels. That's the only reason I was put off RAD because I would Have to take an access course or something to apply for it

It may be worth calling them for advice. When I did my BA I also didn't have A Levels, but they accepted APL. Rambert definitely worth a go, Laban too . Good Luck. x

• Like 2

Thanks Ellie! In your opinion what's better APL or access course? Yeah I'm definitely going to give Rambert a try but I'm confused on the career prospects after you graduate because I'm more of a ballet dancer than contemporary and I will be 23 by the time I graduate so I won't be able to get into a ballet company so do you think it's worth it?

Thanks Ellie! In your opinion what's better APL or access course? Yeah I'm definitely going to give Rambert a try but I'm confused on the career prospects after you graduate because I'm more of a ballet dancer than contemporary and I will be 23 by the time I graduate so I won't be able to get into a ballet company so do you think it's worth it?

I did my BA a good few years ago and had already danced and at that point was teaching professionally (I did the BA Dance Ed) as it was a distance course. I have no idea about the access course, sorry. The chances of graduating and getting a classical contract are slim, for all ! I think most Rambert graduates (recent at least) who do go on to dance do so in the contemporary scene. Have a good look at the websites and see what kind of training and qualifications they offer and which would be more beneficial to you.

Age alone certainly wouldn't preclude you from training at either Rambert or London Studio Centre. Even age on graduating isn't so vital as it once was because a fair number of graduates from ballet schools are struggling to get a company contract immediately, and are doing an extra year's training, sometimes followed by an MA or apprenticeship.

What *might* be more of an issue is the number of hours you're dancing each week, and/or the fact that you haven't yet taken your RAD Advanced 1 ballet (or equivalent). For Rambert, LSC, RCS etc I'd expect an 18/19 year-old auditionee to be at Advanced 1 standard or even studying Advanced 2. There may of course be exceptions to this but in general you may be better investigating purely Contemporary/General Dance courses or the excellent teaching courses at RAD HQ.

Is there nowhere you can up your hours of ballet in the meantime? Even if it's via good drop-in classes?

• Like 1

Not really, I was just taking each day as it comes but I've been thinking about it over and over again and I would love to do it. I think for plan b I would try and work behind the scenes but I would love to be dancing or dance for a little bit and then teach

Have you looked at the likes of Preston college or The Dance College in Royston, which would allow you to dance and gain dance teacher qualifications? There are many more out there that may meet your requirements. Those are just two examples , not personal recommendations. Or at foundation courses?  If you are able to visit MoveIt in London in March that may give you a few more ideas of places that you could apply to where you would meet the entry requirements. There are so many dance colleges and courses out there and different funding systems , colleges that may give you the chance to dance/teach in the future.

There is huge competition for all the colleges and Rambert is one of the 'big names'. Like Anna C I would be expecting applicants for courses that level to be mostly studying advanced 1 or 2 in ballet, although there are always exceptions as I am sure they still look at potential and would take into account factors like number of hours of classes a week.

• Like 2

Yeah I completely understand, I'm not desperately wanting to go to Rambert I would gladly go to college elsewhere that are possibly closer or more to my needs. It was just a thought was that was the first thing I found when I was researching