Moving dance schools (to BTDA syllabus)

Beaglemum2301

Was your daughter doing grade 3/4 and Intermediate RAD ballet classes? There's a pretty big jump between them so if she was coping with Intermediate RAD then I would have thought she should at least be trying Intermediate in the new syllabus too?

I know that the new school may not want her to feel overly pressurised as she settles in but I wouldn't want her to be frustrated if she feels that grade 4 in the new syllabus isn't challenging her. I can't imagine that grade 4 in any syllabus will equate to Intermediate RAD.

I haven't got any experience of BDTA sorry, but my DD did change dance schools and study a different syllabus for a while, having been used to RAD. At the time, lots of people(me included!)asked her about equivalency of grades, and was one syllabus more difficult than the other, but all she could say was that they were "just different". She swapped to the same grade and found that some things were very easy as she had done them in RAD grades that she already had, but other parts were completely new. Plus different syllabi use different terminology for the same steps, or have subtle differences in the way a certain step is to be done. So there probably isn't a direct equivalent between grades of different syllabi as they are all slightly different.

I would think that probably the best thing is to go with the teacher's judgement for now and see how your daughter gets on. It will probably take her a few lessons to get used to the nuances of the new syllabus and indeed the new teacher but then it should become clearer whether she's working at the right level or needs to change to a different grade.

• Like 1

Hi,

My youngest did BTDA ballet and RAD (graded, not vocational) simultaneously before she moved dance schools. 

Looking back at her certificates, she took  Grade 3 BTDA four months before she took Grade 2 RAD.  I seem to remember they got tested on the vocabulary of ballet as well in BTDA.

Thank you for replying

I will see how she gets on as she does more lessons after half term. She seems to be enjoying it a lot and is liking the challenge that it is bringing her.

She will be starting pointe class too which is a good thing.

Interesting comment about having to learn the vocabulary for BTDA exams though