Royal Ballet The Dream/Song of the Earth double bill

I agree about the genius of Ashton. Anyone sitting near me on Friday evening could testify to that as I sobbed my way through a "completely out of context" performance of the reconciliation duet from Two Pigeons as danced by Jenna Roberts and Robert Parker at Birmingham Symphony Hall. It was breath-takingly moving.

The power of an art form is not only its ability to make us laugh or cry but also to hope.

How many times do we watch Romeo and Juliet and somehow hope that it will turn out differently? Or to hope to see different elements of the story brought to life - to make us see it anew - through the medium of different artists undertaking the roles? Why else to buy a ticket to once again experience this centuries old story?

So, it is of no surprise that a lighthearted ballet such as La Fille would bring us to tears as we once again see our hope of young love brought to life. That's why we get up everyday, have our breakfast, tie our shoes - in the hope that we will see an old vision through new eyes.

Well, anyway, that's what I tell myself while eating my bowl of oatmeal.:)

• Like 1

So, it is of no surprise that a lighthearted ballet such as La Fille would bring us to tears as we once again see our hope of young love brought to life. That's why we get up everyday, have our breakfast, tie our shoes - in the hope that we will see an old vision through new eyes.

Maybe even a better vision.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

I agree about the genius of Ashton. Anyone sitting near me on Friday evening could testify to that as I sobbed my way through a "completely out of context" performance of the reconciliation duet from Two Pigeons as danced by Jenna Roberts and Robert Parker at Birmingham Symphony Hall. It was breath-takingly moving.

I don't recall ever seeing a performance of TWO PIGEONS which didn't have me in tears at the end. A brilliant combination of choreography,performance,music,design and,the clinched when the moist eyes overflow,the return of the prodigal pigeon.Bliss!

Leanne Benjamin

Having very much enjoyed her performance in "Song of the Earth" I found this description of her from 1995.

"You could say that there are two ways of looking at the Royal Ballet's Australian ballerina, Leanne Benjamin. If you look at her close up, you see the wonderfully detailed articulations: the proud set of the head and the expressive angling of it, the long hands without tension, the feet touching earth just so, the roll down through the foot.

If you look at her in long shot, you see that although she stands about five feet two, she dances big: generously, fearlessly, with her long limbs, her light jumps, and high, strong extensions. Vitality and musicality underlie every move. A keen intelligence is visibly at work in Benjamin's fresh and individual interpretations, especially of sensual, bold, complex women, as well as everything from Juliet to Odette-Odile."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ntent;col1

Would anyone like to comment or elaborate on this.

(From the performance and some internet video clips, I also find her to be -- Very Lovable)