Yorkshire Ballet Summer School

Newbiemum

Thinking of Yorkshire summer school, how hard is it to obtain a place ? My DD has only been dancing for two years she is year 6 , and a RBS ja ( hoping to go to vocational school this time around) she isn't as experienced as most but seems to be showing potential , will this be enough to get a place ?

You can but try! I would think that as an RBS JA - and that is also despite her relative lack of experience, so she must be talented! - she would stand a very good chance of being awarded a place as she is obviously showing potential and natural ability. There are scholarship auditions in ?London and Leeds I think if she would like to gain experience with another audition class too (although of course she may feel all auditioned-out if she is applying for vocational schools in September ????)

Lots of luck to your DD for the summer school and for her vocational school applications! Do let us know how she gets on.

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 3

I believe it is a tough one to get a place on, but as Legseleven said above, you’ve got to try! As with so many other competitive potential opportunities in dance, you just have to keep trying and stay positive. And have a back-up plan at the ready in case of disappointment! This year they have changed from viewing photographs to viewing a video link as part of the selection process. This has to be a better and fairer way of doing it I think; I hate photographs! Dancing is about more than who can developpe their leg higher at the age of 10 ……… 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello, do you need to do both the video and the scholarship auditions? Or do you pick one or the other?

The video is for the application, and if you would like to try for a scholarship as well, then the audition is where they allocate the scholarships (at least I think this is how it works, although the video thing is new this year I believe).

You could always email them and ask.

Does anyone know what the pastoral care is like for YBSS? My 10 year old is applying and just wondering if they are kept busy all the time/taken to meals/looked after in evenings - all the times they can be homesick - seems like a large age range and the website doesn't say much about the younger ones in particular. thanks

• Like 1

My DD went two years ago when she was ten, she really enjoyed it , she came straight from having just spent a week at WL summer school so was a little homesick at the beginning Mostly as they are in rooms on their own which she wasn't used to . She soon settled though and spent the first night sharing a bed with her friend from JA. The staff were all lovely , she loved the lessons and the food particularly the breakfasts . She made lots of friends and the whole experience really brought her on . It was also a good indication for me of how she would cope if she went away to vocational school the folllowing year . This year she is hoping to go for two weeks . Hope this helps .