Progressing Ballet Technique

Kate_N

I've just spent a lovely Sunday morning doing a Progressing Ballet Technique workshop - a gentle introduction to the first level of exercises of this programme. My teacher has done the full training, and is starting to teach us the programme. 

I found it really interesting - the beginning level we did was not too strenuous, so I was able to work on form & breathing. The exercises working on attitude devant, and also from second to arabesque via a little promenade, were the most challenging, which tells me something about the access I have to my core strength (I have a strong back & core for all the lying down stuff!) and how I need to keep working on engagement of core in extended positions.

My teacher is going to do a 45 minute class before our main weekly ballet class, which will be great.

Like Pilates, it was gentle, and we were encouraged to work within our body's structure, but the additional stuff using ballet positions and turnout was really helpful. I also realised that I find a lot of the exercises easier in turn out than parallel.

Highly recommend, if you live anywhere near a fully trained teacher of the programme.

• Like 4

I bought the DVD for my DD many years ago (I think it's the senior one). She runs through the exercises to keep in condition when she is on breaks from vocational school. She is a big fan of the programme. Just seen that there is an advanced DVD as well.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

My teacher has started to offer these at my studio. I'm very interested but time and money are perennially short... Does anyone have personal experience of ongoing PBT classes? Would you recommend?

2 hours ago, Viv said:

My teacher has started to offer these at my studio. I'm very interested but time and money are perennially short... Does anyone have personal experience of ongoing PBT classes? Would you recommend?

I am sure that any PBT training would be beneficial for any ballet dancer regardless of their level. I know that Ballet West (in Scotland) is using it in their vocational training programme as of this academic year.  If money is an issue then you would need to talk with your teacher about what they recommend.

I would like to say that if you look at the expertise and knowledge of the woman who developed the programme (Marie Walton Mahon) and her sustained track record in developing beautiful dancers who are dancing all around the world professionally is a testament in itself. I am sure the PBT website has testimonials etc. that will tell you more.

I did a PBT workshop a few years back and taught 10 classes as a standalone course. We did a 1 hour PBT session straight into a 1.5 hour ballet class for Intermediate / Advanced Adult students.

The results were very positive. The dancers felt in themselves, and also from what I could see standing in front of the class, stronger, more aligned, and better stamina.

Those exercises are hard work! And they are very exposing as you work a lot on a gym ball which tells you straight away when your weight is not in the right place. I have used it as part of my "getting back in shape" plan after having my first child, it really does get the core going.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Here's a link to the PBT website for Europe.

http://pbteurope.com

I see that ex-BRB favourite Callie Roberts is the European director.

That’s right Jan. Both Jenna and Callie were taught by Marie. As well as others such as Ashley Shaw.

It's very gentle, and very safe. The exercises build gradually with a focus on core strength, and using the big Swiss balls/Pilates balls to help monitor and develop control over the pelvis. I find it some exercises quite relaxing, and others quite difficult. We do a 45 minute session before our ballet class - it's a good gentle warm-up.

• Like 2

Our dance school has introduced PBT classes this year – junior for Grades 4 & 5, and senior for vocational levels (RAD). The teacher is also a ballet teacher, Pilates instructor and dance physio, who also sorted out DD's knees when she was having trouble with them. DD isn't doing the class but has a private lesson straight after the senior class and it looks excellent. (I think the biggest challenge is having somewhere to store a gazillion Swiss balls!)

I think it's especially good for our DC who don't always understand the muscle groups and what they should be activating – gives them a chance to focus on all that without trying to remember steps at the same time.

• Like 2