Maria Alexandrova

It would seem that Alexandrova gave notice of her intention to resign last month and according to the Bolshoi Theatre press release the theatre management has been trying to persuade her to stay. It will be interesting to see whether she really is retiring from dancing or has merely left the Bolshoi. I wonder whether we shall ever find out what prompted her decision to leave ? In particular I wonder whether Ismene Brown will be able to throw any light on the matter? As Alexandrova's departure reduces the number of Moscow trained Bolshoi style dancers at the very top of the company I wonder whether the theatre management will try to lure Osipova back on a full time basis?

Does anyone think it strange that the Mariinsky's school which was deemed to be underperforming so badly, as far as the production of top class dancers was concerned, that its head was replaced appears to have been perfectly capable of producing a significant number of the Bolshoi's current top names?

Edited by FLOSS

It is definite that Masha will continue performing.

Goddesses & Demonesses

New York City Centre, Mainstage, Mar 30 - Apr 1, 2017.  Tickets start at $20 

Contemporary dancer-choreographer Blanca Li and Bolshoi Ballet principal dancer Maria Alexandrova conjure mythological figures in a new evening-length work that has its US premiere at City Center. 

http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/productionNew.aspx?performanceNumber=10307

Does anyone think it strange that the Mariinsky's school which was deemed to be underperforming so badly, as far as the production of top class dancers was concerned, that its head was replaced appears to have been perfectly capable of producing a significant number of the Bolshoi's current top names?

The head of the Vaganova Academy was replaced for completely unrelated reasons, there is a lot of confusion surrounding this issue in the West. Concerning Alexandrova, her controversial departure from the Bolshoi in the middle of the season will likely increase interest in her artistic projects that she will be soon launching in the West. The more people talk about her right now, the greater interest those projects will generate.

• Like 1

I think you will find generations of dancers have left for the Bolshoi.  Ever heard of Galina Ulanova?

• Like 1

It would seem that Alexandrova gave notice of her intention to resign last month and according to the Bolshoi Theatre press release the theatre management has been trying to persuade her to stay. It will be interesting to see whether she really is retiring from dancing or has merely left the Bolshoi. I wonder whether we shall ever find out what prompted her decision to leave ? In particular I wonder whether Ismene Brown will be able to throw any light on the matter? As Alexandrova's departure reduces the number of Moscow trained Bolshoi style dancers at the very top of the company I wonder whether the theatre management will try to lure Osipova back on a full time basis?

I am sure there are a good many here who felt that Ms. Alexandrova's generous statement on Instragram was a fine and entirely sufficient notation as to her departure from the Bolshoi - an organisation which she has served so well for so long.  To quote Oscar Wilde: 'These are surely matters an aunt can decide for herself.'  I would like to think no further comment was necessary in terms of this personal decision and I very much look forward to the potential of learning of Ms. Alexandrova's future adventures whate'er they may be.  My respect for her artistry at the Bolshoi has long been keen and certainly in my memory it will remain so.  

Indeed I, as no doubt your good self does, FLOSS, look forward to the potential of seeing her in the upcoming Russian Icons Gala on 12th March should she be able to appear as now advertised.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

MAB the name is somewhat familiar. I have always understood that her move to the Bolshoi was directed by the regime rather than her personal decision. Have I got that wrong?

There are differences between Ulanova's move to Moscow and other more recent ones. First,as far as I know,those recent decisions have been voluntary rather than directed by the regime.Second at the time when Ulanova moved to Moscow there was no suggestion that the feeder school  for the Kirov was anything other than one which provided exceptional teaching.The point that I was making was that the dancers graduating from the Vaganova who have decided to pursue their careers in Moscow in recent years have been the products of an institution which has been subject to what has appeared to be a concerted campaign criticising the quality of the teaching there. Some people have found it rather odd that a school that was apparently doing so badly that its director had to be replaced was at the time at which the quality of its graduates was being called into question capable of producing dancers who the Bolshoi was more than happy to recruit.

My impression is that the St Petersburg graduates who have decided to go to Moscow have done so because of the artistic policy which Gergiev is pursuing at the Mariinsky which, as far as the ballet is concerned, is rather limited. Indeed there are those who suggest that Gergiev has simply been using the ballet company as a cash cow.

Bruce I should like to think that we might see Alexandrova as a guest artist in London at some point with either ENB or at the Opera House.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 5

MAB the name is somewhat familiar. I have always understood that her move to the Bolshoi was directed by the regime rather than her personal decision. Have I got that wrong?

A move is a move, did Marina Semenova have to follow party orders when she made her move a decade earlier?

There are differences between Ulanova's move to Moscow and other more recent ones. First,as far as I know,those recent decisions have been voluntary rather than directed by the regime.Second at the time when Ulanova moved to Moscow there was no suggestion that the feeder school  for the Kirov was anything other than one which provided exceptional teaching.The point that I was making was that the dancers graduating from the Vaganova who have decided to pursue their careers in Moscow in recent years have been the products of an institution which has been subject to what has appeared to be a concerted campaign criticising the quality of the teaching there. Some people have found it rather odd that a school that was apparently doing so badly that its director had to be replaced was at the time at which the quality of its graduates was being called into question capable of producing dancers who the Bolshoi was more than happy to recruit.

Personally I doubt even Vaganova herself would be happy with the production line of characterless contortionists coming out of St Petersburg in recent years.  I wouldn't second guess anyone's reasons for changing companies.

My impression is that the St Petersburg graduates who have decided to go to Moscow have done so because of the artistic policy which Gergiev is pursuing at the Mariinsky which, as far as the ballet is concerned, is rather limited. Indeed there are those who suggest that Gergiev has simply been using the ballet company as a cash cow.

Now that there is more than one (4?) Mariinsky theatres, I would have thought the increase in dance opportunities would be an inducement to stay but on the other hand I imagine dancing in Moscow appeals more than dancing in Astrakhan or Vladivostok for some performers. 

Bruce I should like to think that we might see Alexandrova as a guest artist in London at some point with either ENB or at the Opera House.

Delighted to hear it, I thought you had a down on RB guests.

There are differences between Ulanova's move to Moscow and other more recent ones. First,as far as I know,those recent decisions have been voluntary rather than directed by the regime.Second at the time when Ulanova moved to Moscow there was no suggestion that the feeder school  for the Kirov was anything other than one which provided exceptional teaching. The point that I was making was that the dancers graduating from the Vaganova who have decided to pursue their careers in Moscow in recent years have been the products of an institution which has been subject to what has appeared to be a concerted campaign criticising the quality of the teaching there.

Ulanova's case was indeed exceptional, agreed. Were Semeniaka or Zakharova ordered by "the regime" to move to Bolshoi, however?

Concerning your next sentence, I have two objections, I am afraid. Are you aware that Vaganova herself was subject to very harsh criticism in those years when such criticisms could easily result in her arrest, having been sent to a GULAG camp, and likely perish there? And your "concerted campaign criticising the quality of the teaching there" doesn't ring true to me, I am only aware of statements to this effect by Mr Gergiev and his proxy, Mr Fateev, both having their own interest in making such suggestions.

That is indeed so or, to say it more bluntly, those graduates try not to have their prospects of growth and artistic development obliterated by Mr Gergiev's policies towards ballet. Something similar happened at the end of the 19th Century when protracted discriminatory policies against ballet by a hostile director of Grand Opéra essentially wiped out ballet in Paris. Of course, as long as the Vaganova Academy continues producing those (despised by MAB) 'contortionists', ballet in Petersburg will live but its existence at Mariinsky is being reduced to a sad state compared to its days of former glory.

That is entirely possible and is one reason why renowned dancers at a certain age go 'freelancing'. According to what I know, she may have already her own artistic projects underway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you, I hope Maria enjoyed her London trip and that the Bolshoi door is left wide open. It sound like the Moscow ballet fans were vocal she must not disappear from her home theatre. I'm curious, can they influence a theatre's management plans? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Maria Alexandrova continues her freelance career. Last night she and Vlad Lantratov danced Don Q. at the Mariinsky in St. Petersburg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVO-nRRTkgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6d1QFL_TIo&t=62s

On 21 March she will be dancing Giselle in Rostov-on-Don (with Lantratov):

https://rostovopera.ru/index.php?id=1119

and in Perm (with Skvortsov) on 23 March: https://www.newsko.ru/news/nk-4602301.html

Edited by Amelia
layout
  • Like 1

I have a ticket for ENB's The Sleeping Beauty but understand Maria Alexandrova is dancing some performances. Would book a further ticket to see her but does anyone know when casting is to be announced?