Secreting good luck charms about your person?

r3dh3d

DD apparently has a pair of lucky pants (first I'd heard of it, but then again I don't quiz her on her underwear that often) which she wears to non-dance things that to her mind, require luck.  

By and large, dance things are either no pants or not-lucky pants.  So I was thinking of getting her some tiny little good luck charm that she could take with her for festivals, exams etc.  But short of sewing it into each costume and ripping it out for costume changes, I can't think how it would work and not show.

Am I the first person to wonder this?  Or is this quite common and there's some widely accepted way?  (Short of swallowing it... or worse!)

Bless her!! My little one has suddenly started taking a tiny little teddy bear to dance related events, who fits easily into her ballet bag and occasionally is allowed out to watch something! There is a risk the bag or the teddy could be lost at some point admittedly but isn't there always...

• Like 2

Hi r3dh3d, I make boxes of lucky charms for dancers. They keep them in their dance bags whenever they have an exam, audition etc and so eliminate the risk of falling from a costume or the stitching necessity!

Pls take a look at my Facebook page here

https://www.facebook.com/sandy.wong.904750/posts/10157939289535624

Link not working?  

I was wanting to find a way of attaching it to her because the bag isn't going to be close enough for the mystical umbrella of luck to cover her.  Next Thursday, the bag will be in a different building, for instance.  

• Like 1

Some years ago my girls requested fairy dust from the tooth fairy, the fairly duly obliged with a pretty glass bottle of fine sparkly dust complete with charm and gauze bag! My girls loved it and adopted it as a good luck charm for dance exams etc! A little goes in their shoes and a dab just above their wrists! They love seeing a faint sparkle which no one else would notice and it also reminds them to be sparkly!

• Like 7

I was thinking of maybe a little silver charm.  I could clip it on to her hair tie when I'm doing her bun and then bun over the top?  Like this.

Some lovely ideas for anyone (and not just dancers) on this thread.  

I love those clip-on charms, especially the Angel Wings.  I wouldn't go for the horse-shoe as it points down.

Why not just cut a small shape, a heart or otherwise from there lucky pants, and you could stitch it into her outfit that she wears? A small heart or whatever.. then you could have different pieces for costume changes...depending upon the size of the pieces. 

it is the pants that are lucky, so a part of them would have the same luck....any new charm would have to have a trial depending upon the result of the first trial. Then it is decided if it is to be lucky or not. The new charm will show how much her parent loves and cares about such things, which will hopefully always be with her :)

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 1

Some years ago my girls requested fairy dust from the tooth fairy, the fairly duly obliged with a pretty glass bottle of fine sparkly dust complete with charm and gauze bag! My girls loved it and adopted it as a good luck charm for dance exams etc! A little goes in their shoes and a dab just above their wrists! They love seeing a faint sparkle which no one else would notice and it also reminds them to be sparkly!

Awww I love this idea xx

• Like 1

Call me an old curmudgeon, but I can't help thinking that in the long run doing without the "lucky charms" and relying on one's own abilities might be the better option - they won't fall out mid-performance, or get lost and then cause panic stations because how can she perform without them :)  Otherwise, what happens if/when you become a professional dancer - do you carry on carrying the charms with you and then get into a terrible state if you can't find them pre-performance, or what?

• Like 5