Interesting reading everyone's stories and comments about WL. I understand to some it may be stressful not knowing wether child will have a place the following year. All I will say is my DS was successful in his audition for year 7 this year and even if it only lasts a year it will make up for the last 6 years of him been bullied for loving ballet. He's where he needs to be if it's only for a short time then at least he will have spent some time with children who love the same as him. Congratulations to all those getting a yes too.

• Like 24

I guess the realistic stories prove some comfort to those that got a NO. But I am sure everyone given the opportunity would have to go for it. Its incredibly exciting you only get one life & best to try & enjoy each day that you there. But keeping your feet on the ground, being realistic & not seeing it as the only path to be successful in life & dance & remembering that is the main thing.

• Like 8

I think that yes it would be a lot of pressure and stress for the DC but I also think that most of these kids are not just your average 11 year olds, they have chose this path, they (mostly) have a clear idea of how they would ideally like their lives to pan out and they are made very aware of what is involved in accepting a place, so I think that as a whole they are going into it with their eyes open and so yes maybe stressful but also a source of drive and determination for a lot of them perhaps?

Anyway many congratulations to the yeses, I can't imagine the joy your DC must be feeling right now and I'm so sorry for all the no's, but please remember that is is just a not now, keep trying and never give up on your dreams. For my DC the no wasn't taken too hard when she made finals a couple of years ago as it turns out she didn't like WL, to our (and her own) amazement she came away from finals with a feeling that it wasn't the right place for her, yes she had enjoyed her day and thought the place was beautiful but something just didn't feel right for her....so maybe not everyone would have to say yes if offered a place, it would have caused us quite a dilemma if my dd had got offered a place and I'm really not sure what we would have done!!

• Like 2

And it con

Very stressful the pressure never goes away!

And it continues when you get a job - particularly in the earlier years the pressure to keep your place is constant.

• Like 2

Lena, my DD felt the same last year at Finals and so the No was easy to accept. Less so the No from Elmhurst last year but as you know, she picked herself up, kept trying hard and got her Elmhurst place part way through the Autumn term for Y8 following summer school. She loves it where she is too which is a relief but now worrying about her assessment next term. So it doesn't stop but this year off the audition trail has been nice for my nerves but still stalking the forum as love knowing how everyone else is getting on.

Commiserations for the not gets and congrats for the yes's. x

• Like 5

In shock to say my DD is one of the 2 JA girls from Eastleigh...

There are 2 girls and 2 boys with yes emails from our centre.

Those that have followed my story will know that we started this road with a "no" email from RB in yr4... So just goes to show it really does just mean "not yet"

Please don't let your lovely DC give up :x

Well done to your DD - funnily enough that is exactly what happened to my DD and she is now in year 8 WL. So many things change along the way - a girl came into Year 8 this year who had a no in Year 7 and I know a girl coming into Year 9 who also didn't get into Year 7. It all changes again as they get older and develop more - so although with nos don't give up x
  • Like 3

I get the impression from reading this Forum that once you are "in" White Lodge, that's when the real pressure starts. Is it really that stressful and competitive there?

My DD loves it there, has fantastic opportunities and dance experiences, has some amazing friends and they are all so incredibly supportive of each other, not competitive between themselves. They are worked incredibly hard as one would expect at their level but most thrive on it. Assessments are stressful because they want it so much but there are so many reasons that they won't all make it and age 11 is so young to make these life long decisions about what they want to do, things change, some within their control and others not.

My DD sometimes worries about not having a plan B - her older sister hasn't even got a plan A!!

• Like 6

It would be nice to keep the posts positive as children and parents don't need to be stressed about WL before the journey has even started. It's such a huge achievement that these children have been given a place in what is seen as one of the top ballet schools in the world.

• Like 12

I am sure no one has said anything they successful applicants have not thought about themselves & I am sure they can take it with a pinch of salt. Everybody is very positive & over the moon for the children that got a YES & likewise we are aware & respectful of the feelings for the children whose parents have had the hard task to tell their DC it was a NO. I think its great to be able to hear both the positives & negatives of experiences others have had so people can start their journey with excitement & eyes wide open

• Like 11

It is a very surprising yes... of course very aware of all the no ...

Good luck for the future to all the DC ...

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 20

Congratulations to your dd Hopeful. I'm sure this is the start of a very exciting journey for her

Wow Hopeful that is just incredible. I was thinking you were one of the few posters we hadn't yet heard from! Huge congratulations to your dd.

Also Mummysboy I was really sorry to read about your ds' experience over so many years and so happy that he can now dedicate himself to what he loves amongst others who value the same things ????

Much congrats to you and your DC. Well done!

Very many congratulations to all the yeses.  Sorry to the nos.  I sense that the post may have unintentionally become rather negative of WL and of course each person's experience is very different there.  What I would say, though, is that I wish we had not taken up the WL offer without finishing seeing the other schools.  We never really made a choice and accepted WL.  I wish someone had told me then, continue to have a look at the other schools and have a real think about which school is best for your child.  Don't take WL just because you think it is the best but actually make an active choice.  Consider all the aspects of the school.  For example, I didn't twig on till quite late in the day that triple science is not possible at WL but is at Tring/Hammond.  Consider all the aspects that you need to.  Is your child going to thrive on the competition?  Would they thrive better knowing there is no assessing out, for example?  It is rare to be assessed out at Tring/Hammond and WL still do it every year (less common in year 7/8 but still happens).  

• Like 9

Congratulations to all the DC & their families with a yes !!! To all those with a 'not this time' I know from our own experiences what that feels like & it's so tough. Remember they are extremely talented to get this far & one school may say 'no' and another school say 'yes' ....... for so many different reasons !! All the vocational schools have positives & negatives and different schools will be a 'better fit' for different DC....... So it is very wise advice to consider all aspects before making any decisions. I'm a great believer in - if the DC is happy & settled in their school - this will be reflected in their dancing. Wishing all these DC and their families the best of luck with their own journeys. :)

• Like 6

Thank you all for best wishes, and the insights ... very kind..

I hope it is just a beginning for all of the talented young dancers ...

Good luck in other auditions... this chat is an amazing support ...

• Like 1

Congratulations to all dc with a 'yes'. So sorry for the dc with 'no for now'

You are all very talented to get to the final audition. Very best wishes for the future x

Totally agree dancer123! Well done to those that have achieved what they set out, and good luck to those that it may take slightly longer to get where they would like to be!

Edited by Dreamy11

Would anyone know how many students go onto the summer school wait list, and what are the chances of getting a call up.  Thank you

Hopeful I sense that you are in a little bit of "shock" at the moment and I had noticed that also that you had not posted. Perhaps you felt the same as me when DD got her offers from upper schools that you didn't feel like posting the result because a. It is something private after all, b. You are perhaps feeling guilty because some people do get a no and you do not want to seem to be "gloating" and c. Sometimes people do feel negative about different places and you do not want your joy to be tainted. That is fine I think on this forum we celebrate and commiserate in equal measure, we look for answers when really there are non, it's just life, fate call it what you will. In the end I think that it is lovely that there are still those children who are not afraid of hard work, will strive for excellence no matter what and will eventually be the kind of adults who make the world a better place, that is all we want for our children in the end, that and their happiness. So hug that joy to yourself, if it was us in your place we would do the same and I am sure I am not alone in wishing you and your DD happiness in the future at WL, may the fates be kind and her hard work rewarded.

DRSC

Edited by dramascientist
  • Like 14

Thank you! This group was and is an amazing source of support and info...

.. I'm very happy I could share it here....

I'm happy but shocked you absolutely right ... more shocked than my DD for sure ... This was really hoped for, but totally unexpected on so many levels ...

Can't even imagine dealing with upper school!

Thank you for the kind wishes...I share the same for all who got in or not yet ...

I do believe our kids future is not predetermined by the panel of year 7 results either way ...

Edited by Hopeful????
  • Like 5

Hopeful I sense that you are in a little bit of "shock" at the moment and I had noticed that also that you had not posted. Perhaps you felt the same as me when DD got her offers from upper schools that you didn't feel like posting the result because a. It is something private after all, b. You are perhaps feeling guilty because some people do get a no and you do not want to seem to be "gloating" and c. Sometimes people do feel negative about different places and you do not want your joy to be tainted. That is fine I think on this forum we celebrate and commiserate in equal measure, we look for answers when really there are non, it's just life, fate call it what you will. In the end I think that it is lovely that there are still those children who are not afraid of hard work, will strive for excellence no matter what and will eventually be the kind of adults who make the world a better place, that is all we want for our children in the end, that and their happiness. So hug that joy to yourself, if it was us in your place we would do the same and I am sure I am not alone in wishing you and your DD happiness in the future at WL, may the fates be kind and her hard work rewarded.

DRSC

Very well put!

• Like 4

A lovely post dramascientist but on the flip side it's also hard to share disappointment. My DD has been a JA for two and half years, didn't get finals-was completely devastated. Has returned to her JA class to 'find out' who got finals, smile and congratulate them but at the same time deal with her own 'rejection'.

Now finals are complete she returns to that class again, this time to see those wonderful DD's celebrate their success in gaining a place, one of them is a very dear friend, this is so hard for her, she is amazing, and she will move on, we have plans in place, but for now her little world has crumbled.

• Like 6