Jazz ballet shoes - experiences?

Kate_N

I hope this is OK, even though it's not strictly about ballet! My local studio has just started a new class - a fast, old school, proper jazz ballet class (none of your Jazzercise!) I haven't done old school jazz ballet for about 25 years, but my first class was terrific fun & the teacher was lovely about me just following along (it's where good basic ballet technique is invaluable). She also threw a bit of Graham technique in there with high releases and spirals - wonderful.

Anyway ... not only have I nt done proper jazz ballet for a long time, but my old jazz ballet shoes have gone the way of all flesh.

And looking online, there is far more choice than ever before. 

So I'm looking for people's experiences with types of jazz shoes. I rather like the look of the trainer-style jazz ballet shoe - split sol, but lots of support, and I could use it in my street dance class as well (oh yes, I have taken up street dance. It is far far harder than any Advanced syllabus ballet class I've ever taken).

But the Capezio split-sole trainers are pricey and I wondered whether something softer might be better. The only dance shop near me (in my local studio actually) is open mostly for the children's ballet clothes & shoes, so I don't really have a range I can try on. 

What have been other dancers' experiences?

My teenage daughter has used both types, Kate - soft, black leather split sole jazz shoes and the more "Jazz trainer" split soles, although hers were Bloch, not Capezio.

Her verdict was that for Commercial Jazz (and I suspect Hip-Hop), the trainer style jazz shoes are better as they absorb more impact. Being more bulky though they are harder to point your toes in. If the Jazz Ballet class is more like ISTD Modern/Jazz - more articulation through the feet, more demi-pointe work - I'd probably go for a thinner, soft leather split-sole jazz shoe.

Anna, thanks for this. It's really helpful. I last did jazz before the trainer style shoes were invented! I think I"m going to have to get myself to a good dance shop when I'm in London next week, and try some out to see which I prefer.

• Like 1

My dd has the black Katz split soled jazz shoes for modern and jazz, and she also has the Block split sole jazz sneakers - she found them more comfortable than the Capezio ones which she had to start with.

You probably need to try a few different styles on - what do others in the class wear? If there's somebody with your size feet maybe you could try their shoes on and see how they feel.

Thanks everyone. I went to the small ballet shop connected to my local studio and ended up with some very modern  pull-on jazz shoes with spilt sole and a sort of neoprene section around the arch. They make my rather wide & not very arched feet look great & I can whizz round in turns. 

• Like 4