'Getting Over It'

ArucariaBallerina

On Tuesday I had my RBS audition... I cried myself to sleep that night.

has there been anyone at all who bought their audition went awfully but actually succeeded or 'got in' as such? I just felt like I didn't push myself enough or try my very best. My muscles weren't aching at all! And I forgot to enjoy it as much as I should, I was so nervous! I had also had two really good classes on the previous two days, so was probably due for a bad day. As soon as I was in the room, the excited feeling vanished, seeing the already MAs in the room with their perfect feet and stretchy legs! And I made a mistake in an exercise! I'm praying and praying they saw something in me or I did better than I thought, but I don't know.. I'm just so annoyed with myself... After all those months of hard daily practice! And they were all so skinny! I thought I was, but compared to those girls! Albeit some did look miserable, and I'm sure I smiled. But we will just have to wait and see...

Sorry this is a bit of a gloom and doom post, I just needed some reassurance! Good luck for all other auditions to everybody!

Royal Ballet will be looking for potential, physique and musicality, regardless of whether you are an JA,MA or SA, they know what they are looking for. At age 11 they will no doubt want a body they can train to professional standard. There will be so few spaces and so many students from all around the world applying. A further note to point out, no vocational school will want students that are too thin. A dancer is an athlete that must be healthy, intelligent and strong, one who has stamina and strength. Best of luck, you have as much chance as all the others.

• Like 6

Commiserations, it's hard to get over nerves.

You have to think about the many many ballet students who audition from all over the world. If you don't get in, it won't be personal and it won't be because you are not an excellent dancer. There are many excellent dancers who aren't accepted. It just means the RBS is not a good fit for you, not that you are a failure.

And use this as an opportunity to think through situations in which you get nervous - I think sports psychologists call it "visualisation"? you get used to stressful situations by rehearsing them beforehand, so that when you're actually in there, you have ways of relaxing and being in the moment, rather than being nervous. I find focusing on my breathing helps.

You just cannot tell with RBS - or any audition for any school for that matter. My DD did her first ever audition at 12. The panel was looking and smiling at her/pointing her out to each other and she heard them say how good she was. She came out thinking she had danced well and it had gone really well and she must surely have a place. But of course, when the results came out, the shock and upset of no place! She re-auditioned a later year- no panel attention whatsoever and wasn't sure she had danced well- but was given a place.

I'd also try not to think about the MAs you saw with perfect feet, super skinny and stretchy legs. No idea about the current RBS MAs, but over the years many MAs who are auditioning for WL will already have tried but not succeeded in getting a WL place at 11 and will be trying for a second or even third time, having been turned down before. 

So don't give up: you never know and even if it is a no you can always re-audition or find another just as decent place to train. RBS does not have all the best teachers.

• Like 2

Which course are you auditioning for, ArucariaBallerina?

Don't worry about making a mistake in an exercise, the panel might not have noticed and even if they did they are unlikely to count it against you unless you goofed up every enchainement demonstrating that you can't memorise a sequence (everyone makes mistakes once in a while, just watch some professional classes on youtube and you'll see plenty of that!) or you went to pieces instead of just carrying on as if nothing happened.

Thank you so much for all your help, it really has cheered my day!

Wow, Flora! Well done to your dd!

And invisiblecircus, I auditioned for SAs and WL (just in case!) .it was only the rond de Jambe exercise... I knew the exercise, but the others in front didnt do it, so I got confused mid fondu and instead did more rond de jambes! So I wasn't alone at least

• Like 1