Elmhurst associates in Plymouth

LoobyLou

Hello all,

I'm new here. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the Elmhurst associate classes in Plymouth? My dd has just turned 8 and is desperate to audition for junior associates but I can't find out when/where the auditions or actual classes are held.

Any info greatly appreciated ????

Thanks! I looked into it a few years ago for DD1 but she changed her mind and didn't want to do it so I never found out the details. It's really difficult to find out when and where the actual classes are. Although I guess you have to be lucky enough to get a place first!!

Is it really really tough to get in? And how does it compare to JAs? I didn't know you could do both potentially.

Classes are on a Sunday morning AT Lipson Community College in Plymouth. My DS1 did Year 6 last year and is now at Elmhurst and DS2 in currently in the year 5 class. It is still just ballet and not extended like it is in Birmingham. Each year group have a 1.5 hour class. Both my DS were/are also RBS JA's.

There were 10, if I remember correctly, in the year 6 class. Boys and girls. 3 boys did both and my Dd. 3 boys and my Dd went to Elmhurst, one boy to WL and two girls to Hammond. My Ds did extended associates at Elmhurst and SAs and is now in Elmhurst 6th form. I would say it was definitely worthwhile for us.

Good luck x

Thanks, really helpful. Why do they prefer the Elmhurst classes? Are they very different? And what grade ballet were yours at when they auditioned or doesn't it matter? x

Completely different structure to the classes and very different teaching styles. Elmhurst classes are in a more "typical" ballet class style - barre, centre etc. Grades aren't really important, DS1 had only just taken grade 1 when he auditioned last year.

Thanks, really helpful. Why do they prefer the Elmhurst classes? Are they very different? And what grade ballet were yours at when they auditioned or doesn't it matter? x

My ds hadn't even taken his Primary exam when he auditioned, grades really don't matter. He loved his associates classes, they were his favourite class of the week for the whole three years he was attending.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Pixie,

The Elmhurst website just says that details will be given soon.

According to this thread Elmhurst Associate classes are held in Birmingham, Plymouth, Sunderland and Manchester.  Coincidentally Birmingham Royal Ballet appears in the first three cities and in Salford near Manchester.

It's worth keeping an eye on the school site for details:  http://www.elmhurstdance.co.uk/Elmhurst-Young-Dancers.html

• 2 years later...

My daughter is an RBS JA at Totnes and Ballet Boost Associate in Exeter. She has never auditioned for Elmhurst Young Dancers as TBH it would be difficult to fit it in for us. However, I do know a little about it from others that do do it. I’m happy to PM you if you want any specific info. 

• 1 month later...