RBS performances

drdance

I have just come home from a lovely day in London having seen the Royal Ballet School performance at the Linbury studio theatre, ROH.

The standard, as ever, I'm sure, was superb - with some really talented young dancers. The year 9 group were particularly noticeable (in my humble opinion!) and it was also lovely to see a pas de trois performed by graduating upper school students.

I'll be attending the ROH performance (inc. the famous Grand Defile) next Sunday - I'm really looking forward to seeing some more stunning work!

Edited to add: I have a pupil at the school - very proud!

Edited by drdance
  • Like 6

I went to see this last night with friends who had a DD in the show. It was lovely and very entertaining. The year 9s may have been noticeable because they did so many pieces that were also very long. For some reason, the poor old year 10s only got to do one very short piece.

Overall it would have been nice to see a bit more ballet and a bit less Irish/Scottish dancing. Thoroughly enjoyed 'Games for Gods'!

My personal opinion about the amount of national that RBS give the lower school to perform is that they are concentrating so hard on making their ballet technique correct in class, that they don't want to have the children 'perform' ballet without exemplary technique to go with it, which is very difficult. I think they prefer to give the children a chance to perform beautifully with pieces that are less technically demanding in terms of pure classical ballet, so that they can still show their artistry and work on stage skills (eg using the space, being in lines/spaces, working as a team etc) and have performance experience without worrying about every leg, foot and arm being perfect. Like I said though, that's just my opinion!

That's a good point. I asked dd's Associate Teacher about performance, as my dd is introverted and very shy, and finds it difficult to "perform" whilst concentrating hard on perfect placement, maintaining turnout, using all her muscles correctly etc.

The teacher said that she was teaching the children the correct technique over and over until it becomes muscle memory - and it's at that point that the mind is freed up enough to "perform". That may explain why dd finds it easier to smile and perform Modern whereas in ballet she almost always looks very serious!

I know there are young teenagers who love to "perform" ballet and are able to do so, but at the moment my dd finds it difficult. I'm hoping she will grow out of it! :-)

I've been at many many festivals where the adjudicators always say that they like to see students doing the ballet solo sections because it's the hardest discipline to get everything looking good, and I do have to agree.

My personal opinion about the amount of national that RBS give the lower school to perform is that they are concentrating so hard on making their ballet technique correct in class, that they don't want to have the children 'perform' ballet without exemplary technique to go with it, which is very difficult. I think they prefer to give the children a chance to perform beautifully with pieces that are less technically demanding in terms of pure classical ballet, so that they can still show their artistry and work on stage skills (eg using the space, being in lines/spaces, working as a team etc) and have performance experience without worrying about every leg, foot and arm being perfect. Like I said though, that's just my opinion!

You are so right. My DS shone in the National pieces as a young White Lodger. It really gave him a chance to show his performing abilities and musicality.I was more than happy for him to wait until he was more mature before performing classical pieces.

Having said that the current White Lodgers were outstanding on Saturday night at the Linbury and their first piece was very classical indeed. They were more together I felt than the Seniors in Raymonda and Paquita!

• Like 2