9 hours ago, RuthE said:

Regarding Marguerite & Armand: I hope they choose wisely. I declared in 2013 that I never needed to see M&A again (history: Guillem once, before I knew anything about ballet.  Hated it; thought her miscast. Rojo/Polunin in late 2011: the ballet that (in a roundabout way) triggered my ballet addiction. Rojo/Polunin again on two dates in 2013: adored them, and wanted that to be the last time I ever saw the ballet).

I softened in 2015 out of curiosity to see Vishneva do it. And she had a last-minute substitute Armand and it Just Didn't Work and I regretted that I'd bothered.  The Armand, and the relationship between the two leads, is SO important.  Those of you who know me personally will know that I'm borderline obsessed with the Dame Aux Camellias story, and am extremely picky about it in any medium.  I haven't even seen Yanowsky do it yet, even though I love her in other roles - I only booked because of her retirement.

The dancer I remain most excited about in the upcoming revival is Alessandra Ferri. I booked for her with no hesitation whatsoever despite my strict criteria.

Ditto.

Despite my adoration of Natalia Osipova, I hadn't booked for her, feeling that just as theatrical lore said you had to be forty to play Juliet, so I feel only an older dancer can dance Marguerite, even though I'm aware the original, Marie Duplessis, died very young.  Ferri may well bring a ballet that should otherwise be shelved to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Ditto.

Despite my adoration of Natalia Osipova, I hadn't booked for her, feeling that just as theatrical lore said you had to be forty to play Juliet, so I feel only an older dancer can dance Marguerite, even though I'm aware the original, Marie Duplessis, died very young.  Ferri may well bring a ballet that should otherwise be shelved to life.

Sounds like you and I feel very similarly about this, MAB!

I'll be left with quite a dilemma if the replacement Armand is someone really interesting such that I'm left wondering if I should see Osipova's cast after all.

11 hours ago, RuthE said:

The dancer I remain most excited about in the upcoming revival is Alessandra Ferri. I booked for her with no hesitation whatsoever despite my strict criteria.

Indeed, MAB, I might add that until the casting and indeed Yanowsky's impending retirement were announced, I'd been thinking "Well, this looks like a last hurrah for Yanowsky, but... *does mental roll-call of the RB's roster of current female principals* ...who on earth have they got who'd be suitable for an alternate cast?"

Edited by RuthE

Not to mention who can replace Nureyev?

Very sorry to hear the news about Sarah: I hope it's not the same foot she broke previously.  At least, I think I do, unless that makes it worse :(

I don't know whether they'll switch the Dream casting about?  It has to be someone small enough for McRae to partner comfortably, I think.  Not sure Morera fits the bill.

49 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Salenko on speed dial? ?

Not for a recording, surely?  That'd be like admitting that the RB didn't have any ballerinas who could dance Ashton, a fact we know to be untrue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

About time to pull someone from the corp. 

why not Anna Rose

Surely even she's a bit tall for McRae? She certainly is for James Hay who she's been paired with a few times.

45 minutes ago, alison said:

For a live relay?

Didn't Osipova dance this last time? Could also see Hayward being promoted to first cast as she's physically right for MacRae and a principal broadcast but also suit management's raising of perceived status for her....

• Like 1

Yes Osipova danced it with Golding. I really liked it but reviews were a bit mixed - more negative about him I think. To be honest I'm so exhausted by the M&A saga, I'd just wish they'd divvy up the performances between ZY and AF, and jiggle round Osipova and Hayward! Actually I've gone past caring!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Could also see Hayward being promoted to first cast as she's physically right for MacRae and a principal broadcast but  but also suit management's raising of perceived status for her....

Do we have any real evidence to believe that RB management are deliberately pushing Hayward, or is it just that the media find her interesting? This is not a loaded question - I'm not trying to stir up old arguments, I'm just curious!

Personally speaking, I'd rather she continue to develop her partnership with Sambe than switch to McRae.

Sorry, my wording was probably injudiciously chosen. I think it's clear that Hayward is regarded as a very promising and accomplished dancer who has been given some terrific opportunities and an appearance in a principal role on a broadcast under these circumstances might seem an appropriate response even if an alternative solution was found for the later performances. 

I'd hoped that the partnership with Campbell would be further developed but have no objections to that with Sambe either as they seem to work very well together too.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
Spelling
  • Like 2

There are already stories appearing in the press about Polunin's decision and I'm really puzzled that several repeat the claim that he was the RB's youngest ever principal, being promoted at 19. But his date of birth is widely given as November 1989 and he was promoted in the summer of 2010, which surely made him 20? - and weren't both Cojocaru and Nunez  younger than him when they were made principal,? But I'd agree he was the youngest ever male principal (of the Covent Garden company, that is).

Full marks to the Times raking up old issues, and cliché's aplenty in so few words. I admire Polunin's technique or what it once was. People also call for people not to criticise this decision but this press really just takes so much energy. Even Matthew Bourne on Twitter wrote  'surprise surprise' in response to the news.

Under the original ROH announcement where it seems some of the Polunin camp have strongly hinted at the reasons why he has withdrawn. Stating roughly that he returned for reasons that were not of his choosing, he doesn't really care about Royal and it isn't a big deal for him, and that RB just didn't understand him enough.

It's sad to hear this. Perhaps Polunin has legitimate reasons for withdrawing. If not, then I think that too many bridges have now been burned for him to have any future relationship with the RB. 

• Like 1

I feel so sorry for Mr Polunin, by the sounds of it, he have had a pretty sad childhood. However, he doesn't seem to be professional in his dealings with the world - perhaps, he needs time to sort out who he really is?

I know most people are mourning that such talent is going to waste but at the same time, Mr Polunin is not a trained monkey - he can't be forced into something that he doesn't necessarily want to do. I wish him well in the future and I dearly hope that he will find something that he is truly happy doing. I hope that Miss Osipova will help him and support him.

Am I alone in a wishing that rather than distressing over a cancellation by a wayward guest that we should be celebrating the glorious ever ready and brilliantly committed talents of our home team.  They will come to the fore as they have throughout this season of joy.

I for one can't wait to see the RBS Showcase to see what new inspiration is being wafted even as I type.  There is so, SO much that is positive to look forward to.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 15

9 hours ago, SwissBalletFan said:

Under the original ROH announcement where it seems some of the Polunin camp have strongly hinted at the reasons why he has withdrawn. Stating roughly that he returned for reasons that were not of his choosing, he doesn't really care about Royal and it isn't a big deal for him, and that RB just didn't understand him enough.

Then maybe he should have declined when first asked and saved a lot of fans this disappointment.

• Like 5

I am assuming from the bald statement on the ROH website that they don't know why he has cancelled?  

There is nothing wrong with any dancer withdrawing from performances.  However, without giving a reason, there is bound to be speculation.  

50 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am assuming from the bald statement on the ROH website that they don't know why he has cancelled? 

I am assuming that if they do know they're not impressed. I don't think I've ever seen them give such a tersely worded announcement before.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Am I alone in a wishing that rather than distressing over a cancellation by a wayward guest that we should be celebrating the glorious ever ready and brilliantly committed talents of our home team.  

Dear Bruce Wall, for me it is not “rather than”. Both reactions or feelings - “distressing over a cancellation” and “celebrating the glorious… talents of our home team” are naturally worthwhile for me.

• Like 2

When I read the Times article  this morning the most exciting thing was the photo of Sergei Polunin and Yuhui Choe in Nutcracker, reminded me of how beautiful they were in La Bayadere too, how sad that such a promising partnership was lost!

• Like 7

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:38, alison said:

I don't know whether they'll switch the Dream casting about?  It has to be someone small enough for McRae to partner comfortably, I think.  Not sure Morera fits the bill.

Having thought about this a bit more, I'm actually wondering how big an issue this is.  After all, don't Oberon and Titania pretty much only dance the "reconciliation" pas de deux together?  Given that the performances are all sold out, I can't see the punters being happy if casts they booked for got moved around.

I think McRae did partner Morera last time round, replacing Bonelli if I remember correctly.

In what I know - indeed I'm sure - is a fantasy world just now I would love to see Anna Rose O'Sullivan dance with McRae in The Dream.  Her dramatic etching of the small role of Princess Louise in Mayerling (nowhere approaching the same thing as an Ashton Titania I realise) was entirely thrilling and the magic of her balletic artistry - be it as a vivacious Florine or anything else - has sparkled throughout this fine RB season.  

Such a performance could well be a landmark in what I'm sure is a brilliant career to come.  I would so love to see such celebrated in cinemas as well.  What are stars after all unless they are built and there is no doubt in my mind but that this very talented young lady is world class.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2