Can anyone identify a piece of music for me?

r3dh3d

DD2 has just got her first ballet solo for a festival.  I have been told the music is from Giselle, so have been trying to find it in the ballet to show her - but I can't.  Possibly my ear is so bad that I'm missing it, but maybe it's from something entirely different.  

If I can manage to upload the file here (somehow) do you think someone might manage to identify it for me?

Thanks! 

Hi R3 I had a go at the link but you have to sign up to the site and this was okay at first .....until they asked you for a card number as verification even though the site is free!! As I wasn't buying anything I'm afraid I objected to giving card details so unfortunately couldn't get any further along.

Hope someone is able to help you

That worked beautifully R3 but I didn't recognise it as coming from Giselle!!

However there are different productions of this ballet and perhaps it's a piece of music used by a Company other than the Royal?

It's actually quite similar to a piece in the first act .....but usually played much slower than here?

Or could be another piece of music by the same composer Adolph Adam but just not from Giselle?

I hope someone can identify it anyway as I'm intrigued now!!

Will have another listen later anyway.

Edited by LinMM

Ok, yes found it in la Jolie fille de gand.

Now I have to work out what sort of tutu would best suit an 11 year old who is playing a fallen woman who has woken up to find it was all a dream and is virginally rushing to her arranged wedding.

• Like 1

Well am glad you've nailed it!

But have to confess have never heard of La Jolie Fille de Gand!

Is it a ballet once performed but no more?

Or an opera?

Did her teacher choose the music or is it set by Festival?

Edited by LinMM

Yes that would be interesting but if it's ballet for a festival then it doesn't have to be in character surely? As we've been discussing on another thread most people have unknown music and also hopefully a tutu will last longer than one dance!!

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

Thanks all - it was chosen by the teacher from a selection of appropriate music that someone else in the school came up with.  

I wouldn't have thought where the music was from made much difference to the tutu, but we are borrowing the tutu from the school (it's a last minute entry) and the teacher is asking them to dig out Something Brown from Wardrobe "because it's Giselle".  I think she likes it to be appropriate to the character.  But if that isn't actually the character, then she doesn't have to wear Something Brown, which tbh would be a bit drab for DD's first ever tutu.  

There's a synopsis to the ballet on this web page:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2002/July02/Adam_FilledeGand.htm

Yes, I saw this.  It's like a soap opera, it's brilliant.  Matthew Bourne should revive it, he'd have a field day.  The bit at the end where she wakes up and it was all a dream ... just like Dallas!  :lol: :lol:  :lol:    <= showing my age there!

• Like 4

the teacher is asking them to dig out Something Brown from Wardrobe "because it's Giselle".  I think she likes it to be appropriate to the character.  But if that isn't actually the character, then she doesn't have to wear Something Brown, which tbh would be a bit drab for DD's first ever tutu.  

well that's odd  even if it were Giselle music, because in most productions Giselle wears BLUE (although I know she wears brown in RB's).