Needles On A Plane?

Peccopa

Hello everybody, I was wondering if you can help me and/or share some of your own experiences?

Later this month, I will be flying from Germany to the USA, with a stop in London in between. I have some shoes that I would like to prepare at the airport and on the plane to keep me busy for a while but I don't know if I would be allowed the neccessary things in my carry on.

I sew and darn my shoes, so I'd need two different needles, do you think one - or both of them - might pose a problem during security checks? And what about a small pair of scissors to cut the threads/dental floss (yeah, I'm being that person and use floss for sewing)? I've heard about people taking travel sewing kits on a plane with them before, but I'm still unsure.

Do any of you have experiences with this situation for the Heathrow airport in particular?

(Edited because I accidentally posted before I was done typing. Whoops.)

Edited by Peccopa

I think you ought to contact your airline and ask them . Might be wrong of course but I would imagine the only needles allowed would be a hypodermic needle in case of a medical emergency and even then, you would probably have to go through all manner of red tape to get permission. I would imagine sewing needles being seen as a potential weapon.  

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

My partner was most upset when he had to let go of a Swiss knives set....one of the smaller ones ....which he had forgotten to take out of his jeans pocket!! He was not allowed to put in hand luggage even though it was a smallish one ...it did have some scissors attached etc ....so a rather grumpy half hour or so at the airport after that!!

But according to the government document I posted link to you should be able to carry scissors with blade up to 6 cm in hand luggage at UK airport.

Not according to the officious chap we had the misfortune of encountering at Luton Airport, who made dd feel like a criminal.

You are allowed small scissors as per the document that Jane posted a link to but they can and often do stop you to check the scissors.  I and my DD were both pulled over at security and yes you do feel like a criminal and they took the scissors out and looked at them. Ours were nail scissors that were rounded /curved at the end and they were ok. He told us it was the sharpness they looked at and if they have sharp points they might be confiscated even if smaller than government guidelines.

If you are really concerned about scissors you can buy a thread cutter  - manufacturer is Clover, any cross stitch web site will have them. I have one which I bought as embroidery scissors are incredibly sharp. (I'm a cross stitcher).  Do you use the dental floss that comes in a box with a cutter - that should work on normal thread as well i would have thought.

• Like 1

A ballet student once told me that her hand luggage had been flagged as suspicious, so she had immediately produced printouts showing why her needles should be allowed and why she needed them to protect her ballet shoes. The screener then said it wasn't the needles, but the hammer in the girl's bag that had triggered the alarm, and didn't seem too impressed when the girl said that it was to break the pointe shoes....

• Like 5

I don't think they allow scissors, but you can buy them in boots once you are in the airport terminal - you can also buy sewing kits so I don't really see why a couple of sewing needles and a small pair of scissors is a big deal.  Bit like the bottle of water that I had forgotten in my hand luggage which brought down the full force of airport security and was confiscated (with lecture ) only to go though security and purchase the same bottle of water 5 minutes later.  Bit of a farce really.

• Like 2

I think we encountered the Luton Airport scissors confiscator at a bad time - the baggage check area was stiff with police, armed to the teeth with sub-machine guns and God knows what else; and there was definitely a considerable air of tension in their manner that particular day. 

Edited by taxi4ballet

• 2 weeks later...

Best to check direct with airline and the airport. I saw smtg yesterday that indicated knitting needles were again allowed.

I got pulled over at Amsterdam Schiphol I thought what on earth have they found this time (despite my best efforts I'm always picked on for something) my opera glasses!!! I can only think they may have thought they were gun sights. Anyway the lady checking found them quite amusing and had fun looking at her colleagues through them briefly. Hey ho....

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Oh was it a needle!!

I heard this news yesterday when rushing to get out and I thought they said some woman had flung a cloth over his face and this had poison on!! It was hard to visualise admittedly and seemed a strange way to attempt to kill someone ....a bit like in old thrillers where someone puts a cloth with chloroform over the victims face to knock them out.

• Like 1

Oh was it a needle!!

I heard this news yesterday when rushing to get out and I thought they said some woman had flung a cloth over his face and this had poison on!! It was hard to visualise admittedly and seemed a strange way to attempt to kill someone ....a bit like in old thrillers where someone puts a cloth with chloroform over the victims face to knock them out.

Oh dear, so will we start to see miniature high-priced hankies meeting new size regulations for taking on flights?  :-)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...