I apologise if this topic has already been addressed somewhere, but just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience of DC/yourself getting into a vocational school at a different age? I'm hoping for entry into Year 10, and I know most people go for 11+ or 16+ or nothing! Is there a slightest chance? Even just for Assosciates? I'm auditioning for RBS SAs and full time, Ballet West Assosciates and Moorland full time. It doesn't' help that I only started ballet at 12, and the dance school I go to only does a maximum of 3 45 min classes a week of ballet :( (though I do practice daily in my bedroom!) are they looking for potential still or just at technique?

Leading on from that point, I'm wondering whether to change schools later... I love my dance school, and my teacher is very strict on technique luckily, but I know of a school half an hour away that would provide more classes, and has got people into ballet companies such as BRB and schools such as Elmhurst and RBS Associates. So hard!

Back to the question, is thee a slightest possibility of entry at 14+ ? What level would it be at? And straying even further, my family are very keen on academics... Does RBS and Moorland have very good academics?

Thank you, and sorry for how long this is!

Edited by ArucariaBallerina

Hi ArucariaBallerina I think that you said in another post that you are currently at a Grammar school, so you will be getting a great academic education where you are. Have you talked to your dance teacher about your aspirations? They are in  a good position to advise you as they know your dancing better than anyone else. Also, another option to think about is 18+ entry onto a degree course such as those offered by Ballet West and Rambert school. That will give you much more time to prepare and also enable you to take A levels which should be reassuring to your family. Good Luck!          

I apologise if this topic has already been addressed somewhere, but just wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience of DC/yourself getting into a vocational school at a different age? I'm hoping for entry into Year 10, and I know most people go for 11+ or 16+ or nothing! Is there a slightest chance? Even just for Assosciates? I'm auditioning for RBS SAs and full time, Ballet West Assosciates and Moorland full time. It doesn't' help that I only started ballet at 12, and the dance school I go to only does a maximum of 3 45 min classes a week of ballet :( (though I do practice daily in my bedroom!) are they looking for potential still or just at technique?

Leading on from that point, I'm wondering whether to change schools later... I love my dance school, and my teacher is very strict on technique luckily, but I know of a school half an hour away that would provide more classes, and has got people into ballet companies such as BRB and schools such as Elmhurst and RBS Associates. So hard!

Back to the question, is thee a slightest possibility of entry at 14+ ? What level would it be at? And straying even further, my family are very keen on academics... Does RBS and Moorland have very good academics?

Thank you, and sorry for how long this is!

Hi,  Just wondering at what Grade you are studying at present. That may give a greater indication rather than age. Have you taken any exams RAD or ISTD in the short space of time?  

Thank you

Hello balletbean My school does IDTA syllabus- I'm working at Grade 5 level (about the same as Intermediate Foundation for RAD) . The last exam I took was Grade 2 which I passed with merit (I was ill for a few months before taking the exams, so only had 6 45 min lessons before taking the exam!) however, I've worked at Intermediate level on Summer School and didn't find anything too difficult.

Thank you for your response, you may find the transition to vocational ballet schools if you are studying RAD, as this appears to be their bench mark on most application forms.

On average from research (as my DD is currently in yr10) and other posts a prospective student should be taking at least 8 hours minimum ballet lessons a week and additional lessons of contemporary/modern for flexibility even pilates if possible. Not forgetting the all important Pointe lessons. Stamina and technique is what you have to aim for.

Like others have kindly mentioned, I also feel a long talk with your ballet teachers and parents (if you haven't already) to discuss your hopes and dreams. Ballet Teacher to guide support and nurture your passion and skills, your parents as they will be footing the bill amongst other reasons!!

One good option at this stage is to remain at your academic school as you are so close to your GCSE's and have probably started the subject syllabus. Other schools may follow a different exam board and would impact on your studies and your predicted grades.

Focus on that along with your ballet lessons and consider your options at the end of yr11 (post 16). That way you will have a good few years and exams behind you and will have a clearer view on whether you are ready mentally and physically for pure classical ballet only or attend a college/school that offers ballet as a core subject but supported by other genres along the route of Dip in Theatre dance or at post 18 a BA(Hons) in Theatre Dance. That way it would hold more doors open to you for your career path

Good luck and would love for you to keep us all posted on your future decisions.   

Thank you so much for all the help and advice! As soon as possible, a huge chat is required with my dance teacher I think. Changing dancing schools may be the only way forward I think. Have there been classical ballet dancers who have only started vocational training at 16+ ?

I don't think that Vocational Schools would accept at 16 if they didn't feel there was a possibility of employment.

• Like 1

Your ballet teachers may agree to approach another dance school to provide additional classes for you if they have a relationship with another school? That might be better than having to change schools entirely. Additionally you may be able to attend classes outside your 'own' class at your current school, e.g. grade 6 or perhaps preferably vocational grade classes at intermediate and above, as well as your grade 5 class; plus attending the grade 4 classes would improve stamina and ensure that you are working on keeping basic technique up to scratch.

• Like 1