MIDAS audition applications now live

drdance

Happy New Year to you all! 

The online application for MIDAS auditions for 2017 (September start) is now live again via www.midas-dance.org.uk. Students must be year 4 or above (going into year 5 in September). Pupils who are associates of the Royal Ballet School do not need to audition to join MIDAS, but due to a large demand for places all other prospective students must audition. Auditions will be held on a Sunday, towards the end of May/beginning of June. Audition dates will only be allocated after the closing date of April 30th.

If you have any questions about the scheme that you cannot find the answer to via a forum search, or on the website then please feel free to PM me.

I only know of 2 associate schemes that automatically accept children based on other schemes they may attend (the other one still makes the children attend a taster class). Every associate scheme is looking for different things, whats right for Royal or Elmhurst isnt automatically right for every other scheme! Gaining a place on a royal associate programme doesnt guarantee you a place at elmhurst, I think this is a good decision

Edited by Bluebird22
  • Like 1

SwaybackSapphire no student is excluded from auditioning! In fact, the admissions policy has been amended in order to ALLOW MORE students who are not associates elsewhere to have a chance at accessing additional training.

The message being sent out to prospective parents here is that if your son or daughter is a keen young dancer who wishes to apply for additional dance (not just ballet) training then please do apply!

• Like 2

Then I must have interpreted it incorrectly. Appreciate that everyone can audition but I'm sorry i don't agree with certain students not having to audition because the are a JA, MA or SA.

That's my opinion anyway.

Hope it goes well, I know Midas is very popular.

Edited by SwaybackSapphire
  • Like 3

The dance world is a very cut throat, competitive environment. A sense of fairness doesn't come into it. Top schools and associate programmes are looking for most potential and talented dancers. As a mum giving advice to other mums, if our children are to accept this and have to learn to deal with this environment then we must too.

I have been an observer of the dance world since my daughter was three, she is now 20, successfully completed her training and is now dancing professionally, I've been there and worn the t. Shirt, the dance world generally isn't fair, it just wants what's right for them, simple as that.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi everyone, 

A reminder for those of you still looking for additional training for young dancers - the closing date for MIDAS applications is April 30th. There are no photo requirements, just complete the online application form.

For those parents that don't know - MIDAS is a supplementary training programme (these types of programmes are commonly known as 'associates') which has an equal emphasis on technique, artistry and fitness-for-dance. Successful applicants attend classes every month in Birmingham. The programme is especially suitable for those that are all-round dancers, that may not fit the traditional 'classical ballet' type but who work 'smart' and want to pursue a career in dance. The training that students receive in class is founded upon scientific and pedagogic research, and by the principles of safe dance practice - students often encounter class structures and teaching methods that are new to them. A large number of the teachers and coaches have recent education or training in Dance Medicine and Science. 

There are parents of current students on this forum, so you may be able to get a parent's perspective from them. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to email director@midas-dance.org.uk, comment below or visit the website. 27332447_1561084217261728_77217068646198

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My DD is due to audition for MIDAS. 

Would you be able to confirm which Sunday in the month the classes take place? My DD is hoping to study Musical Theatre when she's older and I've found a couple of good Jazz /MT schemes that all fall on the second Sunday of the month. 😕

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone! MIDAS has some places available for young dancers to start in September. We will be taking video auditions first and then possibly having a live audition later in the summer.

If you, or someone you know, has a child currently in year 4 or above, who is looking for an extra addition to their dance training please visit www.midas-dance.org.uk for more information, or search this forum for MIDAS. (There are parents of past students here who have identified themselves as such!).

Classes will be held at MAC Birmingham.