Hamburg Ballet - recommendations?

Never been to Hamburg before and they have some different rep.  Bearing in  mind I prefer classical ballet and nothing too heavy can anyone advise me what to see?  Think the ballets are all Neumeier's work and they have on offer the following.  Thank you in advance!

Nutcracker (not really)

Third Symphony Gustav Mahler

Tatiana

Duse

The Seagull

St Matthew Passion

Giselle

Peer Gynt

Othello

Nijinsky

Cinderella Story

Little Mermaid

Anna Karenina

Turangalila

Song of the Earth (not if it's like MacMillan)

Nijinsky Gala

Actually I highly recommend their Nutcracker.

Nijinsky is fabulous but probably not for you if you like classical and "not too heavy".!

I love Mahler 3 but you might not.

You won't be able to get tix for the Nijinsky Gala. It sells out a year in advance.

• Like 1

The Duse, of course, was done for Ferri - so you might like that,  DQF!

I agree with Katharine, I, myself, would go for Nijinsky and the Mahler ... but then I haven't seen so many of the others.  I would so love to see the Othello.  

The theatre is an excellent one with generous sight lines from every part of the theatre and a totally devout local audience who knows their Neumeier.  Also there is much in the city to recommend it.  

What you will see is a company of fine dancers dedicated to their master choreographer.  I was right impressed last year with their Shakespeare Stories.  It was certainly one of the anniversary highlights that I saw.  

Edited by Janet McNulty
edited to amend a name with agreement of poster
  • Like 1

If you don't have to go this season you might think of waiting till they announce next year's rep in case they have more ballets that would suit your tastes. I love Neumeier's Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake and Lady of the Camellias (which is very sad, but not "heavy" if I understand what you mean by "heavy"). Also his R&J.

• Like 1

Nijinsky, Nijinsky, Nijinsky. It's a must if you like ballet and its history. Such a great work!

Neumeier uses the classical vocabulary, but it's hardly virtuoso ballet, more in the style of MacMillan and Cranko, if that helps. His greatest talent is the story telling.

Nutcracker - Neumeier's version takes place in the ballet world, with beautiful pictures of ballerinas in the studio and a scene at the barre that in Russia got famous as "Cecchetti and Pavlova". Not your usual Nutcracker!

Third Symphony Gustav Mahler - if you like symphonic ballet, it has very much dancing

Tatiana - heavy

The Seagull - don't

St Matthew Passion - veeery long

Giselle - Neumeier keeps much of the traditional version, but act one is psychological and act two very spooky. Ugly sets.

Peer Gynt - only if you can catch Alina Cojocaru, otherwise I think it's what you mean by "heavy"

Othello - this is a very impressive Shakespeare ballet with great roles and a fascinating slow motion pdd, but maybe too much dance theatre for you - we have soldiers shouting, a dream-like structure and modern music.

Cinderella Story - I like the version, beautiful costumes by Jürgen Rose

Little Mermaid - very sad story

Anna Karenina - this will be new in July 2017, so nobody knows

Turangalila - mixed reviews, modern music by Messiaen

Song of the Earth (not if it's like MacMillan) - very mixed reviews, I'm sure MacMillan's is much better

Nijinsky Gala - as Katherine wrote: sold out forever. If you manage to get tickets, it's five to six hours long and Neumeier always invites famous guests. But in the end you see a lot of his choreography :)

If you decide to go later: The Lady of the Camellias is almost perfect (wonderful costumes by Jürgen Rose), and Neumeier's Midsummer Night's Dream is very beautiful, too. They also have Napoli by Bournonville.

You'll find trailers for almost every ballet on Hamburg Ballet's Youtube Channel.

Oh, and Hamburg is a wonderful city!!! Do go! You know they have a new and very expensive concert hall, the Elbphilharmonie - it opens in 2017, of course everything is sold out, but you can visit the building in the harbour.

• Like 5

Nijinsky, Nijinsky, Nijinsky. It's a must if you like ballet and its history. Such a great work!

Neumeier uses the classical vocabulary, but it's hardly virtuoso ballet, more in the style of MacMillan and Cranko, if that helps. His greatest talent is the story telling.

Nutcracker - Neumeier's version takes place in the ballet world, with beautiful pictures of ballerinas in the studio and a scene at the barre that in Russia got famous as "Cecchetti and Pavlova". Not your usual Nutcracker!

Third Symphony Gustav Mahler - if you like symphonic ballet, it has very much dancing

Tatiana - heavy

The Seagull - don't

St Matthew Passion - veeery long

Giselle - Neumeier keeps much of the traditional version, but act one is psychological and act two very spooky. Ugly sets.

Peer Gynt - only if you can catch Alina Cojocaru, otherwise I think it's what you mean by "heavy"

Othello - this is a very impressive Shakespeare ballet with great roles and a fascinating slow motion pdd, but maybe too much dance theatre for you - we have soldiers shouting, a dream-like structure and modern music.

Cinderella Story - I like the version, beautiful costumes by Jürgen Rose

Little Mermaid - very sad story

Anna Karenina - this will be new in July 2017, so nobody knows

Turangalila - mixed reviews, modern music by Messiaen

Song of the Earth (not if it's like MacMillan) - very mixed reviews, I'm sure MacMillan's is much better

Nijinsky Gala - as Katherine wrote: sold out forever. If you manage to get tickets, it's five to six hours long and Neumeier always invites famous guests. But in the end you see a lot of his choreography :)

If you decide to go later: The Lady of the Camellias is almost perfect (wonderful costumes by Jürgen Rose), and Neumeier's Midsummer Night's Dream is very beautiful, too. They also have Napoli by Bournonville.

You'll find trailers for almost every ballet on Hamburg Ballet's Youtube Channel.

Oh, and Hamburg is a wonderful city!!! Do go! You know they have a new and very expensive concert hall, the Elbphilharmonie - it opens in 2017, of course everything is sold out, but you can visit the building in the harbour.

I actually like Seagull, but I don't think DQF would, based on her previous postings.

In addition to being sad, Little Mermaid has truly awful music, in my opinion.

Nijinsky. It is truly fabulous, and if you can see Alexandre Riabko, it's a mind-blowing experience. Maybe it would be one of those occasions where you might go in thinking "Hmm, I'm really more of a Bayadere kinda person" and then be surprised by absolutely adoring it.  Since your way to Hamburg is paid, DQF, maybe this is an opportunity for you to take a risk repertoire wise.

• Like 4

Neumeier is one of very-very few modern masters. Everything he does deserves attention and repeated viewing. I would say that his Tatiana is less successful, it seems that the choreographer became to some extent a hostage of the music composer (he admitted it himself in one of the interviews), while it should be the other way: a composer of music commissioned for a ballet should be at the choreographer's service.

• Like 3

@ Don Q Fan

If you visit Hamburg Ballett's site and check their repertoire for the period of your likely visit, I may be able to advise re. your choices.

Happily there are fulsome videos of each repertory piece presented - by show - which certainly aids in any selection process.