Hammond Musical Theatre full time course

enpointe75

Hi all

One of my students Has been invited to audition for Hammond year 7. We have missed the open day and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the standard of training there. She currently trains to a high standard in ballet and jazz and also has vocal tuition. Specifically, would the ballet classes compare with something like RBS associates?

Thanks in advance

I think you may need to clarify exactly what you are enquiring about here. Year 7 entry to the full time vocational school ?- if so it is not musical theatre. The only musical theatre courses full time at Hammond are for post 16 - the level 6 diploma in Musical Theatre or the BA Honours degree course.

For entry at year 7 Hammond is one of the 4 schools (along with Royal, Elmhurst and Tring), where funding is given through MDS (music and dance scheme). Applicants obviously have to audition and funding is given on ballet assessment .

Hammond also have an associate programme.

All I will say is, wish we had come to Hammond in yr7! Academic, dance and house staff are all amazing. Our dd is far happier now than where she was.

Ballet staff are fabulous as too are the jazz and tap teachers. Don't know who the yr7's have as their ballet teacher - but maybe someone from current yr7 can let you know. We have found it to be a very happy school and would definately recommend auditioning.

• Like 2

My dd is in year 7 on the dance course, and she loves it, the dance course is amazing, and she has come on so much in only one term, she has already done her intermediate foundation ballet exam in November, and performed in the production Oliver, they work them hard but both ballet, tap, modern and academic classes are outstanding and I'm very happy with the school x

• Like 2

My dd is in the Lower School and we are very happy with the school.

My only comment is a comparative one regarding amount of ballet teaining compared to say Elmhurst or RBS. If you are classically orientated you have to accept that other types of dance plus drama plus singing also appear on the curriculum higher up in the Lower School.

I cannot comment on the pastoral/academics at the other schools. We are very satisfied with these at Hammond and these are very important as well. An unhappy child will not learn well.

• Like 1

I have to say that it's not the quantity/ length of the classes that matters but the content and quality of the teaching of the classes that matters! And actually, we are getting no less ballet hours than where we were! Plus, we've been told that classes increase for exam and performance times.

Academically - teaching staff are very approachable and helpful. Our dd is enjoying her academics more now also.

On the vocal and drama side of things, the children have already been involved in Oliver as their drama production and the Christmas Carol Concert at Chester Cathedral was outstanding!

And yes absolutely, the happiness of the child in both it's school and boarding environment is of paramount importance.

Edited by Dancing unicorn