What are you looking forward to in 2017 ?

Great topic Lynette!

I too am looking forward to Les Enfants Terribles.

I am also getting very excited about Kenny Tindall's Casanova for Northern Ballet.  I have greatly enjoyed all his shorter works for the company and I have high hopes for this.

I can't wait to see Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in the Royal Ballet's Sleeping Beauty.  I'm also looking forward to seeing Jewels again.

I am thrilled that Rambert have brought Ghost Dances back into the rep and hope to be seeing this at Clwyd in March.

I can't wait to see some favourite dancers in American in Paris.

BRB's midscale is always one of my high points and I am looking forward to both North and South this year - especially looking forward to Ruth Brill's new piece Arcadia and to seeing Wink again.

Looking forward to the Autumn I am seriously looking forward to David Nixon's The Little Mermaid for Northern Ballet and Stanton Welch's production of La Bayadere for Birmingham Royal Ballet.

Oh yes ... lots to look forward to this year!

• Like 4

Yasmine Naghdi's Aurora

Mara Galeazzi in Woolf Works

Zenaida Yanowsky as Marguerite (sp?)

Jewels (all of it)

New Crystal Pite piece (if its anywhere near as astonishing as that one she did in Sadlers Wells, its going to be something!)

ENB's Giselle, and later on, their mixed bill

• Like 1

I look forward to being back in London for

… Les Enfants Terribles - to see Edward Watson & Zenaida Yanowsky

… the ENB triple bill, in particular Le Sacre du Printemps

Elsewhere ...

Woolf Works which I hope to see in a cinema broadcast

Tree of Codes

Bejart’s IX Symphony in Bruxelles

There is a documentary by Arantxa Aguirre about Bejart’s IX Symphony that will be shown in cinemas in Switzerland in 2017 (don’t know about other countries) and that I hope I’ll be able to see somewhere

Ballet Nice Mediterranee triple bill in April with works by Kylian, Ailey, Scarlett

Katarzyna Kozielska’s new piece “Dark Glow” for Stuttgart Ballet as I really enjoyed her most recent work “Neurons”

Goecke’s new piece "Kafka" for Stuttgart Ballet as I was blown away by his “Nijinski” for Gauthier Dance

Colours International Dance Festival at the Theaterhaus Stuttgart

Company announcements about their 2017/18 seasons

Seeing more of Delia and Brandon.

The BRBs Evening of Music and Dance is always a highlight.

Really, I look forward to any ballet and I have lots lined up for 2017.

I'll also be very glad to be back in ballet class next week, assuming my back allows me to go, although I'll probably do what I aways do - just ignore the pain and go.

For the curious, 30 years ago I injured my lower back lifting a 5kg piece of computer equipment out of a box. I was in agony for about three weeks - standing up or lying down was about all I could do. Trying to cut code, standing at my desk, was "entertaining". Anyway, it all got better, but every so often it comes back to remind me it's still there. It lasts a couple of days and then goes away. It's always something trivial that sets it off. I'll deadlift 100kg in the gym with no problems, but putting on my shoes, or my jumper or picking a pillow off the floor - all these have caused it to go. The Thursday before Christmas, it went again and it's still quite twingey. This is the worse it's been since the iinital injury. Maybe I'm getting old :(

• Like 1

1. Yasmine Naghdi and Matthew Ball in Sleeping Beauty

ENB's Skeaping Giselle

BRB in La Bayadere

ENB triple, especially Bausch's Rite of Spring

Zenaida's farewell in Marguerite and Armand

ENB's Khan Giselle in September

Finally getting to see Lauren Cuthbertson and Laura Morera as Mary Vetsera in Mayerling

• Like 2

In case anyone hasn't seen yet, the music for the new Crystal Pite is Górecki's Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs).

Oh dear....I really dislike that music.  Maybe due to overexposure.  Will have to concentrate very hard on the choreography!!

• The guests at the ENB's Giselle (Michaela de Prince/Xander Parish)

Hayward/Campbell and Naghdi/Ball Sleeping Beautys

The new Mayerling casts at the RB (all of the Mary Vetseras look fantastic)

The Ashton triple bill at the RB (particularly Marguerite and Armand!)

The Mariinsky tour in the summer (particularly La Bayadere)

Edited by VickyPage
  • Like 3

I am most looking forward to seeing "The Sleeping Beauty" with Yasmine Naghdi as Aurora too (and her partner Matthew Ball of course), as well as Laura Morera in "Mayerling", "Symphonic Variations" (same cast as last time please: Nunez/Naghdi/Choe & Muntagirov), and quietly dreaming of seeing Naghdi in "The Dream" as Titania, as well as Hayward.

• Like 3

I am most looking forward to seeing "The Sleeping Beauty" with Yasmine Naghdi as Aurora too (and her partner Matthew Ball of course), as well as Laura Morera in "Mayerling", "Symphonic Variations" (same cast as last time please: Nunez/Naghdi/Choe & Muntagirov), and quietly dreaming of seeing Naghdi in "The Dream" as Titania, as well as Hayward.

I would. D think it quite ,likely that those two share that role but I that would mean neither would be in variations I guess. I thought Muntagirov was in M and A. I could see the bigger names doing variations.

Given how difficult it is to get a Symphonic Variations cast right, I think I might be prepared to sacrifice certain other performers in other casts - for the time being - in order for that to be achieved.  OTOH, The Dream does need good casting ...

I'm really looking forward to the 2nd Gala of Ballet Schools in the 20th Century in Paris on 7th April:

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-16-17/ballet/gala-des-ecoles-de-danse-du-xxie-siecle

Featuring the Paris Opera Ballet School and:

The Royal Danish Ballet School,
The Vaganova Academy (Saint‑Pétersbourg),
The Royal Ballet School (Londres),
San Francisco Ballet School,
Canada’s National Ballet School,
John Cranko Schule – Stuttgarter Ballett,
Ballettschule des Hamburg Ballett

Hope they'll announce details of other activities surrounding the gala soon...

• Like 2

Sent a tweet to Tamara expressing my disappointment that the Khan Giselle performances at SW in September are, and have been, sold out for some time and I asked her would it be possible to have additional performances or, if not, what about a DVD

She actually replied saying they are hoping to film the September performances, so that is my wish for 2017.

Like many on here I am also really excited to be seeing Frankie and Yasmine as Aurora.

I am also holding my breathe waiting for Nat and Ed bouncing off each other in Mayerling. that could be some collision. Wow

• Like 2

Yasmine Naghdi and Francesca Hayward in anything, but especially looking forward to their debuts in Sleeping Beauty and hopefully featuring in the Ashton triple.

Vadim Muntagirov similarly in anything but also especially looking forward to seeing him in Sleeping Beauty and possibly (hopefully!) as Oberon in The Dream or in Marguerite and Armand.

Ed Watson and Natalia Osipova in Mayerling

Mariinsky Bayadere and Don Q (though still cross they're not doing Corsaire and for bringing Anna Karenina instead of, for example, the Bronze Horseman which looks wonderful in photos and would be new to audiences over here).

BRB Bayadere (though still hoping RB perform it sometime in the next season also).

Hopeful for next RB season; Onegin, Bayadere and 2 Pigeons (wonderful if it could be with either Rhapsody or Patineurs)

• Like 3

So far as I've planned am looking forward to the Mary Skeaping Giselle with Cojocaru ( who never saw in this role when at the RB) and Michaela de Prince as Myrthe.....followed her story from the film First Position and so pleased she seems to be doing so well as has just been promoted within the Dutch Company. Then Sleeping Beauty with Osipova. I chose her because I couldn't get to Jasmine Naghdi's performances which I would have liked to have done ( will be looking forward to seeing how she does) but I'm sure Osipova will be wonderful in the role too so looking forward to it.....and haven't seen it for quite a few years now.

Then it's the ENB triple....probably most excited by this at mo especially as am doing the ENB adult workshop on it. I LOVE the Van Manen piece ...not seen for years.....and the other two will be new so should be a great evening.

Nothing else booked but looking forward to Mariinsky coming will probably have a look at all the programmes while they're here and will be particularly pleased and happy if a certain young student from UK has made it into the Company by then!!

I will have to investigate the Ed Watson performances at the Barbican as have to confess didn't know much about this but looks interesting and will definitely be looking forward to BRB Bayadere in the autumn ......about it for now.

Whoops just missed out Wolf Works which I missed last time round so looking forward to seeing Ferri and Watson in that and for some reason had entirely forgotten the June triple bill with The Dream ......definitely a must for me ...will wait till casting announced on this one but looks like will have to put off buying the new sofa for another six months or so!!

• Like 1

For me it's The Rite of Spring and Woolf Works - after much hesitation between the Galeazzi and Ferri casts I plumped for the latter again.  I'd have liked to have seen Sleeping Beauty but I find the RB ticket prices are getting ridiculous, and I'd rather see two events at Sadlers Wells for the same price as a bad seat in the amphi .

Agreed on the prices for the big classics at the ROH versus the prices at Sadler's Wells, although they're creeping up as well for some productions. Fortunately, I'm a friend and it's been well worth it, particularly when I've invited other people along. I'm looking forward to seeing ENB's forthcoming triple bill, Crystal Pitie's works for the RB and Scottish Ballet, Ghost Dances (Rambert), the Forsythe at the RB and Royal Ballet of Flanders' triple bill entitled Hope which includes a new work by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa (choreographer of ENB's Broken Wings and Scottish Ballet's Streetcar).

Edited by aileen

But of course shows at SW are often much smaller scale, sometimes with recorded music- so bound to be cheaper aren't they.

I think you do get a lot for your money at ROH- a first-rate full orchestra, the sheer scale of the productions, the wonderful costumes (I was comparing them v favourably with some seen close-up at a recent Met Opera screening)- and- so far anyway- noone drinking lager or eating a pot noodle next to you.

I find opera a bit beyond my reach nowadays unless I sit v high up,  but ballet I think is good value in terms of the quality of the productions, especially  if you pick your seat carefully.

SB,,,Mayerling- Symphonic Variations and to crown it all The Dream- can't wait!

• Like 4

I don't disagree with you Mary but it is still much cheaper in the provinces to see dance.

Those of us who don't live within commutable distance of London have to factor in transport and overnight stays too.  Mind you, I have that issue with Sadler's Wells too.  There just aren't enough matinees for me which is why I do not visit London as often as I used to.

There is SO much to look forward to in 2017.  I so look forward to the enrichment of British ballet in this coming year and to seeing the glorious young artists in such fine British companies as BRB (Lawrence, Mathews, Gittens, Bracewell, etc.,), RB (Ball, Sambe, Clarke, Hay, Richardson, Nagdhi, Hayward, O'Sullivan, etc.), ENB (Corrales, Hernandez, Drummond, Quagebeur, Kanehara, Kessler, guest Dronina, etc.,) and Northern Ballet (which I now know less well having not seen them since the wonderful 1984 at Sadler's Wells - and I oh, so regretted missing Jane Eyre in Richmond and was so hugely disappointed when I learned that it was not to be repeated/shown in London this season) ALL flourish as they did in the last.  I'm particularly looking forward to BRB in Bayadere, the Sleeping Beauty Debuts, the new Pite, Jewels, Casanova, the return of Khan's scintillating Giselle and well as the stunning Skeaping one (with a plea to have Broken Wings back in the beginning of the ENB 2017/18 season) and, of course, ALL the Ashton.  Oh, and the return of Bourne's Cinderella which I think is one of his best works. I am disappointed by the rep of the Mariinksy visit but look forward as ever to catching up with the Company and sincerely hope that the rumour of the visit by the Mikhailovsky Ballet comes to pass as something more than just one or two guests in the Russian Icons Gala.  (Oh, and I'm looking forward to the Bolshoi cinema relay of 'In Our Time' and their triple bill.) 

Otherwise - and through my work travel - I'm looking forward to seeing Oneign and the Ivan Nagy Gala (with guests from the RB, ENB, POB and the Bolshoi) and Corsaire in Budapest; Ratmansky's Swan Lake in Zurich, Neumeier's Duse (with Ferri) and Nijinsky in Hamburg and Ratmansky's masterful Shostakovitch Trilogy - no section of which has sadly been yet seen in London - by the HET Ballet in Amsterdam.  (And that's just in the first six months of this year).  

I agree the transport costs in this country can oft be most dear.  I just booked a return flight to Hamburg for £25.  I would struggle to get a return train fare to Birmingham at similar times for that.  Perhaps it will be best to get the European trips in before the proposed visa/entrance fees for UK visitors such as have been proposed by our European neighbours.  I do think they would be justified if the monies raised by EU citizens entering this country might in part contribute towards social care - a truly shocking affair - but that is another story for another frame.  As we ALL know 'EVERYTHING' is beautiful at the ballet' :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Mary, ballet companies performing at Sadler's Wells often have a full orchestra accompanying the performance. And for the big classics the most expensive seats at the Coliseum are considerably cheaper than those at the ROH these days. However, it's down to the individual how s/he chooses to spend his/her money. Personally, the big classics and even some of the mixed bills have become too expensive for me to justify the cost in most cases and now I will only go to see performances in which the whole of the main cast appeals (which is rare, hence my not going to see The Nutcracker despite wanting to see certain individuals). I do like to see new things and some of the mixed bills featuring new work(s) are attractively priced but I have become a bit wary of new works at the ROH following several disappointing new creations.

• Like 1

I agree the transport costs in this country can oft be most dear.  I just booked a return flight to Hamburg for £25.  I would struggle to get a return train fare to Birmingham at similar times for that.  Perhaps it will be best to get the European trips in before the proposed visa/entrance fees for UK visitors such as have been proposed by our European neighbours.  I do think they would be justified if the monies raised by EU citizens entering this country might in part contribute towards social care - a truly shocking affair - but that is another story for another frame.  As we ALL know 'EVERYTHING' is beautiful at the ballet' :)

Let's leave politics out of this, please. 

• Like 1

Aileen, does being an RB Friend get the member a discount or just priority booking?  I did look into it in the past but plumped for the seemingly more generous ENB Friends scheme, which generally gets you 20% off, and typically lower starting prices at the Coli.  Sadlers of course offer 20% off when you book two events at the same time, which is a great deal and seats in the second circle make for a trivial cost of exploring unfamiliar material that you might not want to venture a large sum on..  I've noticed that Emerging Dancer seems to be exempt from both discounts but I can't begrudge a full price ticket for that as it has such a nice atmosphere...

Aileen, does being an RB Friend get the member a discount or just priority booking?  I did look into it in the past but plumped for the seemingly more generous ENB Friends scheme, which generally gets you 20% off, and typically lower starting prices at the Coli.  Sadlers of course offer 20% off when you book two events at the same time, which is a great deal and seats in the second circle make for a trivial cost of exploring unfamiliar material that you might not want to venture a large sum on..  I've noticed that Emerging Dancer seems to be exempt from both discounts but I can't begrudge a full price ticket for that as it has such a nice atmosphere...

Quintus, I don't know your age but if you happen to fall into the Senior category you can get £8 seats at Sadler's at the back of the Second Circle which is a fantastic bargain - in fact cheaper than the 20% discounts would allow - and does, as you suggest - allow you to set the margins on your adventure compass even wider than they might already otherwise be.  As I understand it you can only buy these at the box office itself - and they may not be allowed for all performances - the ENB Emerging Dancer programme being one.  

Blessedly - for seniors - ENB during the Skeaping Giselle - allowed a £5 discount off ALL tickets - which meant that the copious tickets I got in the Coliseum Balcony (all full view) for this glorious production were just £9 a shot.  Who, as you suggest, could argue? 

We are just so lucky here.  Let's enjoy it while we may :)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

Quintus, I've not looked into the Friends scheme at the ROH and I'm not actually a Friend of ENB. The 20% discount at Sadler's Wells applies to everyone who books two different productions at the same time, I believe. Friends get 20% off all tickets and 25% off if they book four different productions at the same time plus a 2-for-one ticket offer (this didn't actually apply to the upper price tickets for the Red Shoes though) and a free programme. I think that there might be a 10% discount on merchandise as well but I'm not sure about this. So, it's very good value if you want to sit in the pricier seats (not necessarily the most expensive) and, as you say, you are prepared to take a risk on unknown works / dancers / companies because you are not shelling out as much (although I had a few disappointments last year....)

Oh, thanks, I'd misread your post as being about RB.  The Sadlers scheme is a good one too.  I need a return on investment algorithm to recommend optimal memberships based on my projected annual attendance across multiple venues ;)

• Like 1