Frankincense

Quintus

I can't stop myself saying travel west looking for a newborn to anoint. But seriously I think as an oil the essence is supposed to reduce symptoms of stress and anxiety.

Is it not travel to the east? Depends where you start though. Just follow the star!

As for the frankincense, it has a variety of uses, depending on form and quality. I believe the resin can be chewed as relief from indigestion, but check with your doctor first! The smell is very nice if you like that sort of thing and have a incense burner, but only a little at a time. I think you can also put it in your bath as it has medicinal qualities, but again be careful if you have sensitive skin/allergies.

It is also sometimes used as a natural cleaning agent. Failing all that, you could put it away in a cupboard until next Christmas, then wrap and give it to the lucky recipient of your choice!

• Like 3

I've not used the resin but as an aromatherapy oil it's one of my favourites I love it.

It's good for mature skin and is supposed when burnt....the oil not the resin ....to be good to support meditation in the room. So general atmosphere cleanser.

I find it a very supportive oil there's something very relaxing about it and can help people who are up for it to think more deeply about things so a nice healing oil.

Perhaps the resin is somewhat stronger though so probably don't use too much at once!! On the other hand you may get into some really deep groove of some kind!!

According to t'internet, you burn it by balancing it on top of an already-smouldering piece of charcoal.

...and there must be a more dignified way of achieving this in practice than mine, which involved me shovelling out some embers from the wood burner, balancing a bit of resin on top then puffing away at it on my knees to keep some activity going... I can see why churches worked on a more impactful staging.  The eventual smoke was reminiscent of a traditional wood furniture polish, quite cedary and, to be honest, with distinct notes of turpentine. 

• Like 4

They were very keen on aromatherapy at John Radcliffe and during my labour with non-dd they put drops of Frankincense on a flannel for me - I'm not sure what affect the Frankincense was supposed to have.  I quite like the smell

• Like 2