Royal Ballet School SS

Mouseys mum

My DD was a JA from year 4 and applied for WL summer school each year and never gain a place. Needless to say she was accepted into WL and spent 5 years there, gained the RBS Upper School SS award and is now dancing in one of the top companies.

What I'm trying to say is that SS acceptance is by no means an indication of future achievements. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with what they've achieved already upon application, body type (well maybe a little) or if your a JA. My DD is living proof of this.

• Like 9

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SS is sometimes used to make a decision on people as potential future full time students. I think that's why many JAs and other UK students rarely get places as they see JAS at other times anyway and they will have seen many UK applicants at auditions.

So they are very clinical in who they accept to SS.

• Like 3

I am sure it is the same in sport, music etc. Training at the top establishments is elite by its very nature, how many little boys (or girls) will be selected for elite training in one of the premiership programmes? surely the odds are the same no matter what subject it is, these schools are looking for that elusive "it" factor that so few of us have.

• Like 1

DD is mid but I did application online so no advantage, as far as I'm aware no Mids stamped forms where given out.

I'm sure they ask if you are training within the Royal ballet ..... It was set out like a multiple choice question from Primary Steps to Adv Ass and you pick one.

Years ago I handed dds form in at Upper School when on a JA trip ..... I said to the member of staff at the time how on earth do they choose off a photo ...... She smiled and just said , she wasn't sure but they can just tell .... As simple as that !

• Like 1

Haha Hairbelles - we've handed stuff in when on a visit with JA's at Covent Garden too!! Ahhh happy days (yrs 4 & 5) when everything was so happy and carefree! Then the stresses kicked in in yr 6 and haven't stopped since or wont either for us as Upper School auditions for us next year haha!!!!

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 1

Haha Hairbelles - we've handed stuff in when on a visit with JA's at Covent Garden too!! Ahhh happy days (yrs 4 & 5) when everything was so happy and carefree! Then the stresses kicked in in yr 6 and haven't stopped since or wont either for us as Upper School auditions for us next year haha!!!!

Oh to go back to a time when I knew nothing about turnout,swaybacks and Royal feet ;)

Thinking back I cannot believe one summer holiday with elder dd I took all her JA uniform to Spain with us and flew back to and different airport than younger dd and hubby just to attend a days course in Covent Garden!!!

I must have been "nuts" !

• Like 5

As a mum of a DC who went through the WL SS from a young age to WL full time and now RBS US student. I can say that things appear to have changed over the years. Increasingly it seems SS is offered as incentives at competitions internationally and the focus is shifting to international competition dancers. The chances of getting into the SS appear tougher today if these other places are prioritised over the online applications.

• Like 4

Hi, I am new to this forum - just wondering - does anybody know if the photograps for RBS summer School must be taken facing the same side as shown in the illustrations? Does is matter if

the right or the left foot is lifted in arabesque and a la seconde?

Hi, I am new to this forum - just wondering - does anybody know if the photograps for RBS summer School must be taken facing the same side as shown in the illustrations? Does is matter if

the right or the left foot is lifted in arabesque and a la seconde?

Could you take the photo and then flip the image the right way round? I think a friend did this with her dd a year or two ago, as her developpe was much better on one side than the other. You have to watch the background though, or they might notice that it's back-to-front!

Good question Anno - we submitted the photos exactly as they were in the images - left leg and at 90 degrees even though my daughter is capable of higher than 90. I never thought to query as to whether a higher leg was acceptable.

Thanks for the replies. I sent an E-Mail to RBS regarding this, prior to the deadline, but never got an answer. Last year, my daghter got in with photos showing the exact positions. Waiting list this year using her best leg, not as shown in Illustrations. Just wondered if this could have made a difference.. I assume not, but I will try to get an answer from RBS before her next application and will share with the forum if I get a response.

• Like 1

DD has been wait listed for SS at WL now for the past three years - so there appears to be 'something' that catches their eye. However, agree with Nama in that, we know of several girls that were either at international comps or who took 'open classes' for international comps and were given places.   DD was also excepted into another international SS in the USA whereby we had to submit a 6-10 min video with particular criteria stated to submit.  Yes, more time consuming but possibly gives the staff a better understanding of how the applicant looks within a class situation.  

Very excited that Dd has been offered a place at Covent Garden SS following her no result from finals. Unfortunately she will be unable to attend as it clashes with the Cechetti International Ballet Competition in Florence.

Good luck to those on the waiting list ????????

• Like 8