Sir Peter Wright

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched my dvd of the Royal Swedish Ballet's Swan Lake, which was every bit as good as I remember, beautifully staged and full of nuance. Among the extras, there is a charming interview with Nathalie Nordquist and Anders Nordstrom, in which they talk about their roles and how they go about creating the characters. He is particularly good describing how many factors go into making the role what it is, not least how his own mood affects how he plays Seigfried.

Essentially, they are saying the characterisation is important, otherwise it is just about technique and technique alone is boring, however good it may be.

Prince Seigfried is a much more developed character in this production, there is more of his sense of devastation over the death of his father, and what it means to him as a young man facing new responsibilities. It does make more sense of the narrative if he is depicted more like a man at a crucial point in his life, than just over privilaged and under occupied and as a result rather unsympathetic.

This interview reminded me of Darcey Bussell's memories of rehearsing Giselle and Sir Peter Wright telling her, with regards to playing the character, that as well as dancing the steps, she should remember who she was and why she was there. Darcey said that was the best bit of advice she was ever given.

• Like 3

Just watched my dvd of the Royal Swedish Ballet's Swan Lake, which was every bit as good as I remember, beautifully staged and full of nuance. Among the extras, there is a charming interview with Nathalie Nordquist and Anders Nordstrom, in which they talk about their roles and how they go about creating the characters. He is particularly good describing how many factors go into making the role what it is, not least how his own mood affects how he plays Seigfried.

Essentially, they are saying the characterisation is important, otherwise it is just about technique and technique alone is boring, however good it may be.

Prince Seigfried is a much more developed character in this production, there is more of his sense of devastation over the death of his father, and what it means to him as a young man facing new responsibilities. It does make more sense of the narrative if he is depicted more like a man at a crucial point in his life, than just over privilaged and under occupied and as a result rather unsympathetic.

This interview reminded me of Darcey Bussell's memories of rehearsing Giselle and Sir Peter Wright telling her, with regards to playing the character, that as well as dancing the steps, she should remember who she was and why she was there. Darcey said that was the best bit of advice she was ever given.

I'm currently re reading Gelsey Kirkland's autobiography 'Dancing on my Grave'. (The book sticker confirms that it was gifted to me in 1987 :) ) She has always been one of my favourite ballerinas and not only because of her excellent technique and beautiful proportions. According to her book she was completely committed, sometimes against all odds and to her detriment within the companies she worked with, to 'get to the bottom of' each character she played. She wanted to understand the reason behind each gesture and each step. Apparently she routinely employed dance and mime coaches to help her understanding of each role, and( in my opinion having watched the limited amount of footage there is available of her) it shows. She may have been 'difficult' to work with and she certainly had to fight some demons, but my goodness, what an artist. 

• Like 2

Bit disappointed not to see any reviews of this documentary so just searched online. Google has thrown up this interesting piece, published yesterday, notable for a number of stills from the archive used in the film:-

http://www.illuminationsmedia.co.uk/the-wright-stuff/

Apparently The Ballet Master can still be watched on IPlayer for another couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Bit disappointed not to see any reviews of this documentary so just searched online. Google has thrown up this interesting piece, published yesterday, notable for a number of stills from the archive used in the film:-

http://www.illuminationsmedia.co.uk/the-wright-stuff/

Apparently The Ballet Master can still be watched on IPlayer for another couple of weeks.

Thanks for the review. The only thing I disagreed with was the reference to gushing tributes. It was indeed a warm tribute for a man held in high regard and affection, with many interesting contributions but none, as I recall, was gushing. The lack of gush was partly why it was such a good programme. In my opinion.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those of us in the UK, I found The Ballet Master: Sir Peter Wright at 90 (as well as Dancing the Nutcracker - Inside the Royal Ballet and Darcey Bussell: Looking for Margot) available for purchase as a download in BBC Store.

Until and if this film is repeated, buying it from BBC Store (for £1.89!) is now the only way to see it, as it has gone from IPlayer (they let you download it and then keep it). The link is here:-

https://store.bbc.com/the-ballet-master-sir-peter-wright-at-90

I missed the programme don't think it's available now is it?

Sorry for being unclear. The programme is no longer free on IPlayer but it is available to buy for £1.89 (assuming you have a digital tv or a computer / tablet etc with IPlayer). One pays the money and downloads the programme to keep for as long as one wants. The link is in my previous posting.

Hope this helps.