Zenaida Yanowsky to retire in July 2017

I noticed from the Interview with Will Tuckett posted in yesterdays links that he " is creating a film based on the verse of English poet Charlotte Mary Mew ...- with Royal ballerina Zenaida Yanowsky".

So we may see more of her yet, though not necessarily at the Royal Ballet. 

• Like 2

I noticed from the Interview with Will Tuckett posted in yesterdays links that he " is creating a film based on the verse of English poet Charlotte Mary Mew ...- with Royal ballerina Zenaida Yanowsky".

So we may see more of her yet, though not necessarily at the Royal Ballet. 

Sounds fascinating!

• 5 months later...

During the course of the talk which Yanowsky recently gave to the Ballet Association she said that she had a number of projects at various stages of development and that one that was definitely on the cards was a revival of Elizabeth. It is just possible that it is Elizabeth which will bring Yanowsky back to the ROH as a guest artist and that this time she will be partnered by Bolle rather than Acosta. I have no further information about this except that when she mentioned it she spoke about it as something that was definitely going to happen.

It is of course pointless to speculate about what else she might appear in and the general gist of what I have heard her say suggests that she is interested in doing new works but the fact that she is appearing as a guest artist this season may mean that she will do so for a few more seasons. This means that I do not have to entirely abandon the hope that we may have another chance to see her appear as the Hostess in Les Biches in a later season.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Perhaps she will do M&A again ... given that Bolle is also listed again. ... Surprised at Salenko again ... especially in light of a new RB female principal and other promotions, say, A. Rose O'Sullivan. 

Love Zen, of course. But she gave her farewell as Marguerite and there are other ballerinas who would love a shot at the role.

I'm also surprised to see Salenko listed, especially as there are now several home grown Principals of suitable height for both McRae and Campbell.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

This means that I do not have to entirely abandon the hope that we may have another chance to see her appear as the Hostess in Les Biches in a later season.

I hope the company revive Les Biches. Floss, who else other than Zanowsky would you see as the Hostess? Arestis, perhaps? But, that solo is quite fast with lots of batterie, maybe not the sort of thing for a retiring/older dancer.