THE FORUM'S 5TH BIRTHDAY TODAY!

Sim

Dear Forum Members,

Five years ago today, BalletcoForum opened for ballet and dance fans everywhere to be able to share their experiences, review performances, ask questions, learn and help each other. Aside from the moderators, on that day we welcomed Pas de Quatre, Stirrups36 and Fiona as some of our first members.  They continue to post today!

I am so pleased to say that today, five years after this start, the forum has grown to 3,916 members (and many more lurkers), and our views are read and taken seriously by many in the dance world. I am even more proud of the fact that a real community has been established on this forum over these years; friendships have been forged and a close group of mutually helpful parents of dancing children are very active and supportive of each other.

We have also reached a total of 184,500 posts on a huge range of different subjects; a very impressive tally! We do hope that the forum will keep on growing and thriving, but without all of you there would be no forum; at least, not the lively one we have become now! So a big thanks to you all for your support and input.

As Chair, I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all the moderators for the time, dedication and hard work that they all put in. Running the forum is not always easy, and can be time-consuming and even, sometimes, unpleasant. I am so proud that the moderators today have all been in place since Day One; we haven’t lost one of them, and that shows how seriously we all take this forum, and how committed we are to it. We do our best to get things right and walk a balanced line, but it isn’t always easy. Despite this, the moderators always approach things with a mixture of wanting to get it right, and some humour thrown in. I thank each and every one of them. Thanks are also due to Bruce Marriott who, having decided to stop Ballet.co.uk, listened to the cries of “but what will we do now?”  set up this forum and, once established, asked us to take the reins and ride forth.

We would like to wish all of you a very happy festive season, and a peaceful, happy and healthy 2017, full of good cheer and good ballet/dance!

With thanks and best wishes to you all,

Simonetta Dixon (Sim)
Chair
BalletcoForum Committee

• Like 32

Can anyone here remember how many years that the original Ballet Co site ran for? My youngest dd was quite small when I first found it and she's 25 now!

Well, Bruce will know best, of course, but the original site dates from the mid-ish 1990s, and was certainly going by 1997. I know that because I set up an email address specially, and still have the odd message dating from 1997 in there!

Edit: correction: 1998. So that probably means about 1997 for the site, I should think, and maybe earlier for the "toybox" site which preceded it?

• Like 3

Ah Happy Birthday!!

And a huge thank you to all the mods for their tireless work, to keep this forum going!

As an adult dancer and mum of a DD I've loved following threads and learnt lots as my DD grew up!

I remember tentatively seeking opinions on the old forum as to whether a Just Ballet website would be a good idea and thanks to your positive reactions and support, we started from my dining table and are still going strong!

My DD is now 21 and still dancing at uni, all be it studying for a science degree, and I'm still dancing too!

Thank you Bruce :)

Merry Christmas everyone xxx

• Like 6

Happy Birthday to this wonderful forum. I like others on here felt a bit lost when the old Forum closed, so was absolutely delighted when the new one was born. Many heartfelt thanks to all the moderators who tirelessly do such a fantastic job day in day out, year in year out, for everyone's sake.

• Like 3

A huge thank you to everyone who started the forum, keeps it running smoothly and to all the contributors. There is so much information, support and kindness in there and our dancing journey would not have been the same without it. Happy birthday forum and may you have many more ????????

• Like 2

Although I don't post so much now that I don't have any dancing children, I'm a a moderator and love reading everyone's posts. I was also a member of the original forum - from around 2001 I think, when my son started taking ballet seriously and I was looking for advice about White Lodge. I found about 2 posts from other parents with similar experience, now there's hundreds (well, nearly) of you.

• Like 3

Happy Birthday! I'm a bit scared that it's been 5 years since we moved here. I don't post very often but have learnt so much and love keeping up with everyone's journeys/questions/hilarious moments. I've received invaluable advice and thanks to the forum have met some lovely people in real life (LinMM :) ) Thank you to everyone who works to keep the site running for us!

• Like 1

A really invaluable site. All your hard work, moderators, is certainly appreciated. Thank you also to all the members who contribute, offer support and advice, share their experiences, post humorous anecdotes or write fascinating reviews....our lives are full of fascinating and kind people.

• Like 1

Where do I go for :

Advice, Guidance, Support, Encouragement, Friendship, Laughs, Comfort, Insight????

Quite simple really, I couldn't live without this forum.

Thanks to all involved in the running of this amazing resource.

Here's to more of the above in 2017 !!

• Like 2