Does anyone know when full casting will be released? Would love to see Oksana Skoryk

With the Bolshoi, they didn't reveal which cast would be on which date until the day booking opened, so it's likely that we won't know till 28th March with the Mariinsky. But Oksana will certainly be doing Swan Lake and Bayadere (I'll be booking at least one night with her!).

• Like 1

Pricing is out in the latest ROH magazine, prices up to £150 for 'super seats', then £140,£122,£105,£90,£80, £65....down to £10. There seem to be 14 pricing tiers vs the usual 13...

Priority booking for the first six months of the hip hop musical Hamilton opened yesterday with a top price of £200 and pretty well sold out within hours with social media going viral! Puts the Mariinsky prices into perspective. The booking system was a nightmare - it took me 5 hours to get tickets for my excited grandchildren. The ROH booking system is so tranquil by comparison.

Hopefully the coffee at the newly restored Victoria Palace will be better though!  

Pricing is out in the latest ROH magazine, prices up to £150 for 'super seats', then £140,£122,£105,£90,£80, £65....down to £10. There seem to be 14 pricing tiers vs the usual 13...

Are the superseats the ones that entitle the sitter to a glass of something bubbly in the interval and a sandwich?

I have thought in the past that, for me anyway, they are not actually the best seats view wise.

Thanks everyone for the info. I belong to Friends of the Mariinski and they haven't even informed me that the company are coming!  Assuming that I will only be able to attend one performance at ROH and also that my friend prefers Bayadere, what do members think of Mariinski Bayadere?

jamie14. I don't think that you can go too far wrong with the Mariinsky's Bayadere. It is well worth seeing so if that is the only ballet that you can get to see you won't be disappointed.I'm afraid that is not something I would say about all of the repertory which the Mariinsky is bringing on this tour such as Ratmansky's Anna Karenina which I found rather weak when the Mariinsky last performed it here. I assume that it is.being performed on this tour as a vehicle.rather than a "return by popular demand".

As far as the rest of the repertory coming to London is concerned their Don Q is somewhat more restrained than the Bolshoi's. The Mariinsky dance it as classical ballet rather than as a big bold super spectacle of larger than life dance. I think that they still dance Swan Konstantin Sergeyev's Swan Lake.The company still regards his productions as the distillation of Petipa's choreography. Its connection with Swan Lake as we know it is somewhat more obvious than it is in Grigorovitch's production for the Bolshoi. Their Corsaire is nice but I prefer the Bolshoi reconstruction which attempts to show us something far closer to Petipa's ballet than the Mariinsky attempt.Their production is Gusev's and is essentially a Soviet reworking of the ballet with a revised story line and characters who do not appear in the original work such as Ali. The Jardin anime is a slimline version rather than the Bolshoi's fill the stage with dancers spectacular. Then there is the "Contrasts mixed bill.The only element of it which tempts me is the Paquita Grand Pas. Other people may think differently about what the Mariinsky is offering the audience on this tour.

• Like 3

If you get orchestra stalls do not go for the first few rows at the front as you will not be able to see the dancers' feet. Never was I more disappointed than at Fille with Cojacaru/Kobborg when my row A seat meant I mostly could only see from the knees up. The feet were only visible if the dancers came to front of the stage. Sit at least 6 rows back I'd say.

• Like 2

I went on the Hochhauser Facebook page and asked if they would be offering people on their mailing list some for of priority booking as they usually do. I was told yes, everyone on their mailing list (which is free to register) will be contacted and receive some form of priority booking.

• Like 3

I don't wish to upset anyone but I would urge caution as far as booking for AK is concerned.It is of course a matter of personal taste but I know some people who really did not find Ratmansky's ballet to be the great tragic vehicle that he intended it to be. Indeed .some people who can usually be relied upon to switch on and maintain a very serious expression at performances found it almost impossible to watch the ballet with a straight face when it was last shown at the Opera House. I think that it was the horse race and the section immediately before the suicide which people found the most giggle inducing.

• Like 1

I don't wish to upset anyone but I would urge caution as far as booking for AK is concerned.It is of course a matter of personal taste but I know some people who really did not find Ratmansky's ballet to be the great tragic vehicle that he intended it to be. Indeed .some people who can usually be relied upon to switch on and maintain a very serious expression at performances found it almost impossible to watch the ballet with a straight face when it was last shown at the Opera House. I think that it was the horse race and the section immediately before the suicide which people found the most giggle inducing.

Oh dear, I liked it!  Yes, there were odd wrong notes but Vishneva was magnificent and I liked the use of video projection.  You are right in that if I was recommending somebody for the first time, I wouldn't recommend AK, but I thought it was streets ahead of Anastasia which, for me, was a train wreck with one good Act tacked on.

• Like 1

As I said before, a lot of my liking of this ballet had to do with the presence of Lopatkina and I would certainly concede that Ratmansky's Anna Karenina is several carriages short of a masterpiece. For me its main fault was too much time given to clever staging at the expense of character development, in a ballet only about an hour and a half in length anyway.

I have sat through many ballets considered to be masterpieces of great drama, tragedy, death and so on. Yet sometimes found myself unexpectedly amused, bored and/or left completely cold, particularly at the more overwrought spectacles.

It is indeed, all a matter of taste. I don't know if AK has undergone any reworking since its last showing at the ROH. Like many other works, it would probably benefit from some tweaking. But it did as I recall, contain many strikingly beautiful images and is,in my opinion, worth seeing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...