Christmas TV and New Year dance programmes - discussion 2016

I enjoyed the Nutcracker prog, it was ideal Christmas afternoon fare and I would say had something for everyone. I was particularly impressed by the dedication and enthusiasm of so many people in different departments, that make these productions possible.

Particularly, the careful and thoughtful nurturing of talent by the teacher at casting, who was disappointed for those that were not chosen, but philosophical. That's how it goes sometimes, but you pick yourself up, get over it and focus on the bigger picture and the next opportunity. The same with the casting director who only does perfection. And why not? We should all aspire to give our best. If things weren't right, he said so and then demonstrated clearly, what he was looking for, firmly but kindly. There were no hysterics or insults, nobody was made to look stupid. All the children looked healthy, happy, engaged and were beautifully articulate.

I could not have anything but the utmost admiration and respect for the way these children were treated, in what is obviously a fiercely competitive arena. An inspiring and uplifting programme.

• Like 13

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no worries about Yasmine. Since Kevin O'Hare took over as Director, I feel that her career has blossomed.

Remember that he asked her to learn the Rose Fairy at one weeks notice when the easy option would have been

to use one of the other company members dancing the role at that time. There must have been a least six dancersĀ 

who could have been selected. At the time I saw it as an expression of the Director's faith in her and possibly corrected

what many of us thought was a lack of faith in her by previous management

There is no question that management are (rightly) helping her career along, but what I'm worried about is the wider world....

• Like 1

Like everyone else, I also found this a very enjoyable programme. Ā I liked the way it concentrated on the students, from the youngsters at White Lodge, to the ones who are in their final year and will be looking for jobs in the near future. Ā I thought this contrasted nicely with the preparation of the principals, and showed what all those students are hoping to achieve themselves in the future. Ā And it seems entirely right to concentrate on a British dancer who has been through the whole school herself. Ā Of course, Ā it would have been nice if we could have seen some of the soloists as well, but the programme would have had to be a lot longer. Ā As it was, I thought the BBC got the balance right. Ā And great to have a professional voice over for a change. Ā 

Ā 

A couple of things struck me. Ā First of all, the boy who had only been at White Lodge for about 4 weeks seemed so keen, but Christopher Carr just went for the senior boys, without even seeing him audition. Ā Such a shame, and the sort of thing that could be quite demoralising for anyone, let along a child. Ā 

Ā 

Secondly, I may have misheard, but I could have sworn the commentary said something about its being the first time that Alexander Campbell had danced a principal role. Ā Please tell me I got that wrong!

• Like 1

There is no question that management are (rightly) helping her career along, but what I'm worried about is the wider world....

Ā 

Ā 

Well I hope that will never be the case :( It would be such a shame if she were to be lured away, we don't need another Ferri or Durante repeat. After all Mr. O'Hare did select her to take over the role of Mathilde Kschessinska in "Anastasia", apparently with only 2 days notice. I'd like to think this shows Mr. O'Hare's great faith in her.

• Like 1

Ā 

Ā 

Secondly, I may have misheard, but I could have sworn the commentary said something about its being the first time that Alexander Campbell had danced a principal role. Ā Please tell me I got that wrong!

Ā 

Ā 

I think it was said that this was his debut as a Principal in this role

Ā 

Ā 

Well, if it was said, it was wrong, so I hope it wasn't!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think Tony was correct and it was said that it was Alex' debut as a principal in this Ā role.

Ā  First of all, the boy who had only been at White Lodge for about 4 weeks seemed so keen, but Christopher Carr just went for the senior boys, without even seeing him audition. Ā Such a shame, and the sort of thing that could be quite demoralising for anyone, let along a child. Ā 

Ā 

The child concerned (Thomas, I believe) had, in fact, just joined in Year 8 Ā having spent the previous year on stage as a Billy Elliot. Christopher Carr was obviously mindful of time and the fact that, for some boys, this would be their last chance of having a go at the Rabbit Drummer. I am sure that Thomas and others would have been helped to 'process' their disappointment. It is, alas, a fact of life for ballet dancers, as their teacher (Hope Keelan) commented to camera.

Ā 

Another interesting insight was on the preliminary list of casting for The Nutcracker. Mayara Magri was shown in brackets for the SPF, Benjamin Ella for The Prince and Ashley Dean for Clara. In addition, Natalia Osipova was listed for the SPF.

• Like 9

I think it is a trifle premature, at this point, to become concerned about Naghdi being sidelined.She is very talented and management clearly have considerable faith in her and Ball, after all they were the dancers who performed an excerpt from Romeo and Juliet during the Shakespeare celebrations televised by the BBC.

Ā 

I really don't think that someone who is capable of dancing the Mathilde Kschessinskya pas de deux at a few day's notice has much.to worry about,particularly when they dance it with such command of the choreography that they manage to make it appear simple and elegant.Something that older,more experienced dancers did not manage to do.I think that she was the best that I have seen in that role since Sibley herself which suggests to me that Ā she is a Ā dancer in the classical mould a bit like Pamel May who was one of Sibley's teachers and regarded by many as the company's greatest classical dancer.Naghdi's ability to learn quickly and give an outstanding account of such a tricky role is just not the sort of thing that gets overlooked by magement as it is so very useful.

Ā 

As for Naghdi's repertory she has danced in Symphonic Variations, danced Olga and Juliet to considerable acclaim; has made her debut as Princess Florine and is to make her debut as SPF and Aurora fairly soon and is due to appear in Emeralds in the Spring season. It seems to me that her career is progressing quite nicely. Kevin is going to be in a position to appoint at least one new female Principal at the end of the season and she must be one of the stronger, if not the strongest, contender for promotion,if only because her dancing has a style which eludes some older more established dancers with a wider repertory. It is her.combination of attack and precise footwork with a fluid upper body which sets her apart.In an ideal world dancers promoted to the rank of Principal bring individuality, musicality and artistry as well as technical assurance to their performances.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 11

Just finished watching this .....one of those things could go on watching quite happily all day....a bit of personal story, rehearsals some chatty asides.....kids following their dreams....and...some nice juicy junks of ballet performance.

I wished it could have been much longer ....I think someone mentioned they could have made a more serialised version of this and I would have lived that!!

Ā 

Anyway in the time available I think the Beeb did a pretty good job so no complaints but I think I am more easily pleased than most!

Ā 

Looking at Stephen and Francesca together I thought that they were so well suited to each other so possibly really good partnership blossoming here very pleased for them. They both have an ease on stage and Francesca portrays joy so well.....one of those dancers who seem to have loads of time or seems to slow it down...wonderful. I loved the way towards the end when Francesca arrives in the wings for the stage call she says to Stephen ....I'm here I haven't forgotten!! ( as if)

Ā 

In the case of the young boy who didn't get the chance to be the drummer I believe it was because they just simply ran out of time to rehearse many more boys and in a way quite rightly gave the chance at least to the senior boy as it seems that after year 9 was it...that they can't take part in the Nutcracker any more so I'm sure that younger boy will get another chance next year.

Now the Margot programme to catch up on!!

• Like 2

Francesca Hayward didn't learn Clara as well as the Sugar Plum Fairy; she certainly performed Clara last season and possibly before that, as she was the Clara on the live cinema relay last December -with Lauren Cuthbertson as the Sugar Plum Fairy and Yasmine Naghdi as the Rose Fairy. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the performances but I admit to a soft spot for Miss Naghdi in particular, who simply radiates star quality.

I'm confused, then - when was all this set?Ā 

You say "last December" but wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago?!

Or are you meaning that she didn't have to learn it because she knew it already?

Edited by thewinelake

I'm sorry, thewinelake - I did indeed mean that Francesca Hayward already knew the part of Clara, having performed it in the 2015/16 season if not before, so didn't have to learn it from scratch alongside that of the Sugar Plum Fairy.

Edited by Legseleven
  • Like 1

Well, if it was said, it was wrong, so I hope it wasn't!

I noticed the program said it was Alexander Campbell's debut in a principal role but it was not - his debut as principal was with Roberta Marquez in Fille. Ā Assume it meant this was his debut as Prince in Nutcracker. Ā I noticed Roberta in class with Francesca as well!

I loved the programme and I don't know why, but it left me all a bit teary. Ā Must be going soft in my old age. Ā It was so lovely how Alexander looked after Francesca, what an utterly charming partner to have. Ā I thought Francesca did a great job and was partnered beautifully by Alexander. Ā So many other things to like about the program as well - I think it was a triumph.

I too like Yasmine Naghdi and I am really looking forward to her Sleeping Beauty in February.

• Like 5

I thought that it was a very good programme. I was pleased that we saw the GPDD in its entirety plus most of FH's solo. We also saw the Rabbit Drummer in action on stage plus part of the Snowflakes waltz. AC came across as a very caring partner - FH was lucky to have him - but we knew that he would be anyway. I think that they make a lovely partnership and I hope that they will dance together regularly.

• Like 2

It asĀ stated that this was his first Principal roleĀ in a Classic

Ā 

Perhaps they simply meant that it was the first Classical principal role he danced after joining the RB?Ā  Because asĀ I said earlier, it wasn't his debut.

• Like 1

Must be the Christmas stupeur thing striking.

Ā 

Just thinking back to my own slip I was wondering if I said "Stephen" Campbell because he may remind me a bit of Stephen Jeffries a former RB dancer. No excuse really I know ....probably need to get back to class to clear my head!

From the BBC 'Cracker doc, a great one for the museum of unhelpful corrections: "Just push the button!"

Ā 

Equivalent to Cunningham's "The only way to do it, Marianne, is to do it!" and not much more practical use either than to wave your authority about.

Can't remember that - what was being corrected? Maybe a way to "correct" lack of self-confidence?

Ā 

BTW, why didn't FH learn the steps from another soloist (or did she, in unseen moments)?

Ā 

I don't know for sure but I think that 'learning the steps' happens with the help of notators, repetiteurs, videos and watching others. Lesley Collier's role at the stage we saw on the film was to burnish the dancing and the interpretation.

• Like 2

I have now watched both of the Darcey Bussell documentaries and enjoyed both of them - rather to my surprise as I was not her greatest fan and I have problems with the way she introduces the live RB relays.

Ā 

However, the programme which focused on Darcey's dancing was an interesting and timely reminder of just how good she was in certain roles. Many of us may have seen most of the material about Margot Fonteyn before but I was fine with that and, apart from a few 'look at me' moments for Darcey, with the way it was presented as well.

• Like 1

Thinking back to the Nut prog, one moment that jarred for me, was the very brief appearance of Darcey Bussell, coming in to appear to be looking at the notice board. The voice over said something to the effect that you never knew who you might see, such as a famous ballerina for example. Then in walked Darcey. The assembled tiny dancers all recognised her of course and started excitedly whispering her name. One even mentioned her surname as well, helpful for any viewer perhaps, who did not recognise Miss Bussell.

It may have been entirely spontaneous, or meant to be a liitle bit of magic. But to me this scene felt totally contrived. I have absolutely nothing against Miss Bussell but I would have preferred the ballerina to be Lauren Cuthbertson, if this scene was indeed a confection.

Perhaps I am just overreacting. It's been a rather long weekend!

• Like 3

Perhaps they simply meant that it was the first Classical principal role he danced after joining the RB?Ā  Because asĀ I said earlier, it wasn't his debut.

I interpreted it as a clumsy way of their expressing that it was the first time he had danced the role as a Principal, it being neither a principal nor role debut....