would this work?

HelloGoodbye452

So I've never done ballet or dance. But I love ballet. I want to start taking lessons this year, and by September be doing intensive training at a ballet compagnie where I live. I know I'd be with 11 year olds if I'm lucky but I want to get better. So if I spend 3 or 4 years in intensive training (5h a week trains for professional level) how far do you think I could go and do you think I'd ever be able to train at their private school? The private school is basically ballet everyday for I think 6 or 4 hours and they teach academics there too and stuff and you live there.

Also any advice?

Lastly I don't know how you feel about newbies so sorry if this is annoying and stuff, and if it isn't any tips?Can be specific or anything. Thank you so much in advance

It's important to know roughly how old you are.

What is it you want to do with ballet? It's a beautiful art, and wonderful to learn, but difficult to make a living from.

However, intensive study of ballet is never wasted - you learn a lot of other skills & knowledge along the way. But if you are blinkered about a goal which is hard for anyone to reach, and don't think widely & imaginatively about the aims & objectives f your desire for intense study of ballet, you will become a bit muddled, and run the risk of deep disappointment. 

• Like 1

Oh and also, to out it into simple terms I want to be good enough to be a professional ballerina. That being said, I don't plan to be a dancer and I know if I were a ballerina I'd practice 6+ hours a day, and so its hard to have the same skill set as one without being one. But I want to excel at it, do it competitively, maybe if I tried get into a good ballet school, even though I don't really want to travel for ballet.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum which is British-based as are the majority of the posters on here, so much of what we know won't be relevant in the USA where the training is very different from the UK. Perhaps you could also ask on a US-based ballet forum such as Dancers Invisionzone?

• Like 1

You'll find that by googling "Ballet Talk for Dancers" You need to be thirteen to post on BTFD.

As for your other points. I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you're just a teenager - just 13 - then you have time to catch up. You need to find a good school that will give you solid careful training. Slow and steady. If you have the facility for ballet regular high quality training will help you realise your potential. As you're in the US, you may find that you can find a school where you'll be able to take a ballet technique class 5 to 6 days a week. Whatever your aims, you need to do the basic training.

• Like 2

I think it's also worth mentioning that young people may be inspired by dancers like Misty Copeland – and rightly so! But she was quite an exception and viewed as a 'prodigy'. It's not impossible to start that late and excel, but it is unusual. Good luck!

• Like 1