Genee finalists 2016

Anon2

Absolutely, a massive achievement even to qualify for the competition let alone get through to finals and then medal. This young man was in BBC young dancer last time round wasn't he and I understand he did very well in the cecchetti competition recently too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seems odd that it's in September, hardly gives people returning back to school at the beginning of September a chance?!

It was the same when it was held in London ... it did seem to disadvantage those from the Western Hemisphere in terms of intensive preparation . My advice if you are considering competing is to get as much performance experience as possible. In certain countries competitions are the norm from an early age and the confidence this gives shines through.  

• Like 1

In certain countries competitions are the norm from an early age and the confidence this gives shines through.  

My dd was fortunate to do the Royal Covent Garden SS last year, when sitting with some of the international students, they were discussing all the different competitions they were entering and were quite incredulous when my dd replied....none!   One of the girls did go on to do rather well in the Genee 2016.  We also have a couple of names to look out for in future Prix de Lausannes -  they were starting their training in anticipation of applying for 2018/19.  It was quite an eye opening conversation albeit rather depressing!! :huh:

• Like 1

My dd was fortunate to do the Royal Covent Garden SS last year, when sitting with some of the international students, they were discussing all the different competitions they were entering and were quite incredulous when my dd replied....none!   One of the girls did go on to do rather well in the Genee 2016.  We also have a couple of names to look out for in future Prix de Lausannes -  they were starting their training in anticipation of applying for 2018/19.  It was quite an eye opening conversation albeit rather depressing!! :huh:

Surely this is a big question - why don't UK students get encouraged/trained to enter competitions as a matter of course like International students??

• Like 1