Move It 2017

BlueLou

The Move It dance convention has just gone on sale for 2017. Does anyone have any experience of Move It? Specifically - is it worth paying extra for the VIP tickets? And any guidance on levels? Dd will be 15 and dances about 17 hours a week - would that be intermediate or advanced?? Any specific classes or teachers to look out for? There are hundreds of classes - all a bit confuddling!

Dd found last year that Intermediate level classes run by the colleges were challenging but around the right level.

She did an RAD run class that was a waste of time, complete cattle market & full of kids too young (there was a class aimed at up to grade 5 but there were 8/9 year olds in the intermediate/advanced class.

I've had a little look at th programme & most of the advanced classes seem a bit more mature in content/expectation. Id leave those until aged over 16.

• Like 1

i love move it!! i've been 3 years running and loved it, never had VIP ticket though so can't comment on that! to be honest, i'd be quite happy paying the admission price and then just watching the performances all day, there's so much going on! i'd say your DD would definitely be intermediate but depending on what styles she does could be advanced in her best styles for example? get into the classes as quick as possible because they all sell out, and i'd recommend studying the programme for whichever day you choose and making up your own timetable of what you definitely want to see/do and what times they all are!!

also i'm sure there's threads for previous move it conventions which will answer questions you didn't even know you had :) 

• Like 2

if it is being put on at the same footprint to last year then the VIP area was poor, a platform quite far away on one side and I was glad I hadn't paid extra money for that. The whole place is crowded and a bit like a cattle market.

My DC was spotted whilst walking round the venue, which led to a successful audition but that encounter was initiated by her physical appearance not her dance ability on the stage.

The organisation before the event is poor, making it hard for you to decide which day is best. I wish they had a clear ballet section so you could organise your day around that.

I must say though the atmosphere amongst the dancers was great, they seemed to be loving the experience I felt a bit old and grumpy at the continuous whooping !

• Like 2

Thanks anondancer - I’ve studied the class descriptions a lot more now. There seems to be little consistency regarding standards required for intermediate/advanced. For example Kimberley Walsh describes advanced as training 6+ hours a week, whereas Lukas McFarlane describes advanced as being for professionals. I think it’s up to the individual class provider how they brand and market their class, so all a bit random. 

Thanks for the advice Pictures - will avoid the RAD classes. To be honest, I can’t see the point in dd doing a 45 minute ballet class when she does 12+ hours a week of it anyway. I’m trying to steer her towards stuff she wouldn’t normally get to do. I did suggest Tango and Flamenco, but she’s not keen! Maybe I’ll have a go :)

Canary - it all sounds like a bigger version of the So You Think You Can Dance events! Very loud and crowded, bit overwhelming for me but dd and all of the other young dancers absolutely loved it. The VIP area attracted me because of the word ‘lounge’. I was rather hoping for a peaceful retreat for me to hide in with a cappuccino! I guess not …..

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 3

Comments from eldest DD who performed on the main stage last year whilst at MT college.

Any classes run by Ryan Jenkins is ideally suited for the younger teenager. (ie 14yrs and under).

Do not leave booking for classes too late as they do sell out fast. Do check each individual class for their levels as there is no generic age/standard across the classes. Some classes are even listed as "open" so no level is set. 

Well worth a tour of the Voc school/college stands. DVD's played and reps available as well as teachers from the individual establishments. Give yourself plenty of time to visit the stands, write down any questions that you may have to ask and then to compare against different schools as you won't remember after. Printed prospectus are available to pickup.  

Closer to the time a full running order would be available for the performances on the main stage. Get there early if you want to be close to the stage.  

"Move It" memorabilia incl stands by Pineapple and Bloch etc so take your wallet with you.  ;)

Fantastic atmosphere well worth a visit for any budding dancer across all Genres.

DD loved every minute of it, fantastic atmosphere and thoroughly recommends going. 

• Like 1

Hi

Move It's great - and the atmosphere is amazing!

Friday is a slightly quieter day - you get a lot of dance schools coming to look round on a school trip. Saturday and Sunday are completely manic.

As well as the main stage there is a freestyle stage  - both are pretty busy all day long with plenty to watch. Theres also a smaller CDET stage

If your DD is an autograph hunter, a lot of the stalls have guests on them doing signings and stuff

This year there is also 'Move FIT' next to Move It - this is the first year they've done this and both area's are joined together and you can walk between them.

Also new for this year is the Move It Competition - this was recently launched if your DD is into that side of things.

Hope this helps a little.

We, Angel Dancewear have a stand selling dancewear at Move It 2017 - come along and say hi. 

https://shop.angeldancewear.co.uk

• Like 1

Move It is a bit like Can You Dance, but much bigger.

At Can You Dance the main stage is used for classes during the day, and then turns over to school performances around 3-4pm

At Move It, the dance classes are in separate area's - and the stages are pretty much going all day long with other stuff too.

Lots of people got to Move It and don't do classes - as theres a lot to see; whereas Can You Dance is more about the classes.

If she does want to do the classes - definitely best to book early

Hope this is useful - look forward to seeing you a Move It and CYD again

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

6 girls I know from our area were delayed for 6/7 hours getting to Move It on a day pass for the Friday (fog). But one stayed for the weekend. Was 'scouted' and handed a golden ticket to round 2 of UK Dance Elite competition. :) Totally unexpected but gladly accepted.  

Sounds like an amazing event.

Hope that everyone else that attended also had a fab time. 

• Like 1

6 girls I know from our area were delayed for 6/7 hours getting to Move It on a day pass for the Friday (fog). But one stayed for the weekend. Was 'scouted' and handed a golden ticket to round 2 of UK Dance Elite competition. :) Totally unexpected but gladly accepted.  

Sounds like an amazing event.

Hope that everyone else that attended also had a fab time. 

Yes my dd absolutely loved it! We were there Saturday and Sunday. She didn’t enter the competition this year, but was ‘scouted' by London Studio Centre after a class (basically singled out and given a pack which gets her discounted summer school, free audition etc …..), and also singled out after a Kimberley Wyatt commercial class (told she could ‘definitely work professionally’, which is nice!). We avoided the RAD ballet classes as dd already does so much ballet we thought it would be nice to do dance styles she doesn’t get to do as much. The 7 classes she did were all fabulous - 2 commercial (Urdang and Kimberley Wyatt), tap, contemporary with Lukas McFarlane, lyrical contemporary, contemporary ballet with Chantry, Musical Theatre with Italia Conti. Some of the main stage performances were jaw-droppingly fantastic. Bought 3 lovely new leotards too! All in all an excellent experience and will definitely go back next year. 

• Like 10

Yes my dd absolutely loved it! We were there Saturday and Sunday. She didn’t enter the competition this year, but was ‘scouted' by London Studio Centre after a class (basically singled out and given a pack which gets her discounted summer school, free audition etc …..), and also singled out after a Kimberley Wyatt commercial class (told she could ‘definitely work professionally’, which is nice!). We avoided the RAD ballet classes as dd already does so much ballet we thought it would be nice to do dance styles she doesn’t get to do as much. The 7 classes she did were all fabulous - 2 commercial (Urdang and Kimberley Wyatt), tap, contemporary with Lukas McFarlane, lyrical contemporary, contemporary ballet with Chantry, Musical Theatre with Italia Conti. Some of the main stage performances were jaw-droppingly fantastic. Bought 3 lovely new leotards too! All in all an excellent experience and will definitely go back next year. 

Sounds like you had a fabulous time, and very proud of your DD.  Fantastic results, even sweeter when not expected. 

Congratulations.   :wub:

• Like 1

My dd is 9 and loved the whole experience(so did I actually!) It was the first time we have been to a dance convention so it was a great eye opener. I had no idea the classes would give opportunities beyond that day. Some of the dancers were quite emotional after with good or bad feed back. I guess this is why starting my dd off young at this sort of thing will help with future auditions and highs and lows. We will go again!

• Like 2