Painful hips when in bed.

Lisa O`Brien

Wonder if any other people on here suffer from this? I don't know if it's my age, or being a former dancer or a combination of both. I cannot sleep lying on my back. Nor can I sleep lying on my front. I can however sleep for an eternity lying on either side. My mattress is comfy and not springy or lumpy. For the last say, six months or so, whenever I lie on either side in bed, whichever side I am lying on, after just a few minutes I get a pain in my hip. It is the hip furthest away from the mattress. If I turn over the exact same thing happens; with the other hip. The actual hip I am lying on doesn't hurt at all. I was thinking its because both my knees are touching each other and my legs are therefore in parallel so it's a bit unnatural for me. [still having turn out I mean]. But i've been lying on my side with both knees/legs together my whole life. So why now? It is every night and particularly uncomfortable. To such an extent I then have to roll back onto my back and then then pain goes away. But then I cannot sleep !!  Does anyone else experience something similar? Perhaps another ex dancer? Thanks.

I wonder if the problem may be with your back rather than your hips and you are unconsciously favouring your back thereby causing the pain in your hips.

I have absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever but as the pain moves I think it unlikely that the root cause in itself is your hips.

• Like 1