Birmingham Royal Ballet: The Nutcracker, Birmingham, November 2016

Sadly did not happen. All three leads replaced by Maureen Lebowitz, Joseph Caley and Karla Doorbar.

Delia was on in the afternoon and seemed fine so assume the problem was Brandon.

Fabulous Land of Snow in the evening led by the wonderful Yvette Knight. And boy did the snow come down.

Each time the dancers came on stage handfuls of snow thrown into the air. Sadly this no longer happens at the RB.

A special mention to Lachlan Monaghan as Clara 's boyfriend in first act at the matinee. First time I have heard the audience burst

Into applause. The reason, 3 successive perfect triple tours'. When in Birmingham I always refer to him as Lachlan(I don't bother with doubles) Monaghan. He is really beginning to come into his own after a period of injury.

Edited by Tony Newcombe
  • Like 4

BRB Nutcracker is currently on sky arts. It's on again tomorrow too, Titled Peter Wright's The Nutcracker if you're searching for it. It says new but it's not the production this year or last I don't think as I don't recognise many dancers and it's certainly not this years children or last years either, but wonderful all the same to watch BRBs beautiful production again this year. ❄️ Hoping this years cast will make appearance on the 27th programme on BBC four as my little girl was one of the children and was filmed during rehearsals and in the dress run ❄️

Edited by Balletmummy55

That's why the costumes looked slightly different and much cleaner! Just searched and seen its from 2008. Still enjoying it immensely.

The listing stated it was from 2014.

Lovely to have another filmed performance of this wonderful production, but just like the BRB version many years ago, it is very dark in parts of Act 1 so the transformation of the Christmas tree and Clara dancing with the Prince is barely viewable. I noted that Australian ballet were very economical with the snow - Thete's positively a blizzard when BRB perform it. Also the choir were very restrained.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 2