Rambert: Ghost Dances, Edinburgh, November 2016

Stephen Wright was photographing at the dress rehearsal at the Edinburgh Festival Theatre, Nov 22nd - here are some photos from that

31050266802_c3824fd1fb_z.jpg
Daniel Davidson, Juan Gil
© Stephen Wright. Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

30386855743_f896d34961_z.jpg
Artists of the Company

30386838043_b8abc007d8_z.jpg
Miguel Altunaga, Carolyn Bolton, Juan Gil

See more...

Set from DanceTabs: Rambert - Ghost Dances
Courtesy of DanceTabs / Flickr

• Like 2

I saw them at their last performance in Edinburgh. It was wonderful to see Ghost Dances again, although no cast will ever match the original dancers. The movements are relatively simple yet the whole piece conveys deep and complex emotions.  it is a wonderful piece of theatre; the South American folk music and designs (set designed by Christopher Bruce himself) and choreography all interact to produce impact. The theme of loss through political violence remains all too potent.

By contrast the two other pieces (Tomorrow by Lucy Guerin and Frames by Alexander Whitley) were very clever and well danced but conveyed no meaning.

Ghost Dances is now touring, with the other pieces in the bill changing in programmes at different venues, and reaches Sadler's Wells in mid-May.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just been to Rambert triple in Nottingham. Wow!! Enjoyed both Flight and Hydragyrum: dancing gorgeous. But what I was really there for was Ghost Dances, which I last saw way back in its original run in 1981. Gosh, so emotional. The power of the piece had a profound impact on me when I first saw it as a teenager back then. I went on to become passionate about south American history, politics and music, which will never leave me. Rambert tonight and their musicians delivered something that for me was exceptionally moving and powerful in Ghost Dances. I was moved to tears and Rambert got a standing ovation, which in Nottingham is rare. So so moving. Utterly exceptional work. Bravi Rambert for reviving it. It's even better than I remember. Utterly spellbinding and just emotionally intense. Now need another ticket!!

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 4

I have never seen Ghost Dances live although I have it on DVD. I just love the music & I get shivers down my spine when I watch it. I didn't get to see Rambert when they were in Brighton recently but have booked to see them at Sadler's Wells in May. Just hope ???? behave......

A bit late in the day but I saw Rambert at Clwyd a couple of weeks ago.  

The evening opened with Tomorrow by Lucy Guerin - a sort of deconstructed Macbeth.  I found it absolutely fascinating; it did help having read the programme note beforehand - I could recognise within the movements some of the story of Macbeth - for example the washing of the hands, the murders etc.  The witches were seriously scary!  One slight issue was the "wall" that divides the stage from time to time.  I was sat on the front row and the placement of this wall meant that I couldn't fully see the dance on the left hand side of the stage but it didn't really matter.  I would like to see this work again.

Again I enjoyed Hydrargyrum with its swarm movements that to me were very effective in conveying the molecules of mercury dashing around.

The highlight was Ghost Dances.  I saw this during its first run in 1981 and it has lost none of its power.  The dancers performed beautifully and I thought Joshua Barwick (ex-NB) was outstanding as one of the ghosts.

The company are looking on very good form!

• Like 2