Timing of summer schools/NYB 2013

Lemongirl

I have provisionally booked our summer holiday for next year but if possible I would like to leave open the weeks that dd may be involved with something ballet-wise. She hasn't managed to audition yet for NYB, we have been doing other things but would like to try next year. I think they rehearse the 2 weeks leading up to the bank holiday weekend in Aug, although they said next year's dates haven't been confirmed.

At the moment we will be away 2nd - 16th Aug inclusive which I think would clash with NYB. But if she didn't get in, she would like to do a summer school/course, not sure what though. Does anyone know when the summer schools tend to be? I could push back the holiday by a week which would mean 26th July - 9th Aug. There's also EYB which dd has done a couple of times before but there are no audition dates up for next year yet!

A lot of summer schools are at the beginning of the holidays in my experience. Going on this year as a guide though, Elmhurst is 13th - 18th August, Central has 2; 13th - 18th and 13th -24th August (although next year they may revert to the last week of July).

LCB's is even earlier than usual (being before academic school's have even broken up) and their course for younger girls is the first week of the holidays.

Schools do seem to have moved their summer schools earlier or later to avoid the Olympics though. Your best bet may be to email them and ask if they can give you even a rough idea of next year's dates.

NYB has been those two weeks in August leading up to the Bank Holiday weekend for the last three years. I think they may well try and stick with that as it seems to work for them! But I agree - email them or any others you are thinking of. I sure many people like to plan well in advance for things and are in the same boat. I am still trying to plan for this summer !!

I have just spoken to LCB who said that their ballet performance summer school (which looks really good) was particularly early this year due to the olympics as spannerandpony said. Next year's will probably be late July although they won't know for sure until January!

I don't know now whether to keep the NYB time free (not knowing yet if she'll get a place) or late July/early Aug free for the LCB one (which she wouldn't have to audition for and I know she'd really enjoy).

My dd did the LCB one last year and loved it! She's asked to do it again next year but her teacher wants her to apply for YBSS so we'll have to see.

The journey wasn't great for us from East Herts to SW13 every day for LCB but it was a super week. :-)