Although we are discussing BRB here I think that all the companies, with the possible exception of the RB which I think is better placed to weather funding storms because of its prestige and location, have much to fear in the current political and economic climate. I suspect that funding for the arts and culture is going to be radically stripped back.

• Like 3

When this was first announced in the press it emerged that that all the organisations in Birmingham ,ie Bham Rep. C.B,S.O and B.R.B will be receiving less local authority support than any of their regional equivalents.

And I pay Council Tax in Brum!

• Like 2

The really sad thing is I cannot see any of these cuts being reversed.

Given the demographic changes in the City I cannot see the council falling over itself to use dwindling resources on the type of cultural activities we all love.

I hope this point is taken as a realistic observation rather than an offensive one.

• Like 1

Well now more than ever we need philanthropists.  I think that is going to be the way forward for funding.  What about Crowd Funding as well?  I wonder if fans could fund La Bayadere for example?  Probably a pipe dream.  This makes me so sad.  

Do we know how much the Birmingham City Council funding actually amounted to in actual money terms?

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

I have just been reading an item on page 14 of the current edition of Private Eye. It contrasts the treatment of the arts in Edinburgh - generous - with Birmingham - decidedly not.

It reported that the City's grant to Ex-Cathedra has been slashed from £73,000 to £15,000. Apparently the CBSO has done absolutely everything asked of it but their funding is down to the level of 1980. BRB is not mentioned specifically, nor the Birmingham Rep.

Worrying times indeed.

• Like 1

I actually don't think that funding a new (classical) Bayadere is the main issue of concern but future funding of BRB more generally is. I suspect that Britain (at least England and Wales) is going to go down the American route as far as funding of the arts is concerned. There is a much greater tradition of philanthropic funding in the US, not just for the arts but universities and much else. The sums that some ballet companies in the US raise are staggering but we don't have that tradition of fundraising here.

• Like 3

Appalling news. One can't entirely blame the council when its government funding has been slashed and it struggles to fund statutory services for the vulnerable. 

Having followed the company, in its various forms, since I skived off school to see Seymour dance Swan Lake in 1959, I shudder at its future. What is almost as worrying as the cuts is the artistic response. The letter claims that the company will carry the cut "without reducing the quality or breadth of our artistic programme'. But Aladdin is a dreadful ballet, in my view, Bintley's worst, little more than an elaborate posh pantomime. Why replace Bayadere with that? And presumably BRB only has a joint share as it was created on a Japanese company. So will BRB have to pay them a fee? If for financial reasons it has to be a Bintley ballet, rather than another full length from BRB's rich heritage, why not do Hobson's Choice? That is popular, is dramatically strong and has lots of good roles. Artistic policy should consider works that help develop dancers as well as attract the public.

BRB needs to take account of the way that 'competitor' companies, ENB, Northern, Scottish, have all upped their game.

Which Bintley ballets would you prefer to Aladdin?

Edited by SheilaC
  • Like 2

Appalling news. One can't entirely blame the council when its government funding has been slashed and it struggles to fund statutory services for the vulnerable. 

Which Bintley ballets would you prefer to Aladdin?

The BCC have made a couple of enormous stuff-ups involving equal pay and it's service contracts, esp IT. The new library is another one - projected build cost £160m, actual build cost £189m, final cost (when it has all been paid for) £590m (estimated - it will be higher).

Any of them!

I quite agree!

• Like 1

If for financial reasons it has to be a Bintley ballet, rather than another full length from BRB's rich heritage, why not do Hobson's Choice?

This would certainly be one of my top choices. I have the DVD and still watch it regularly!

• Like 3

I haven't seen Aladdin, but it doesn't sound to me like any sort of substitute for La Bayadère. Could they not have done Act II on its own and combined it with two other popular one-acters? That would at least give a new strong classical work without so much expense.

• Like 4

I suspect that Aladdin was chosen because it is a title that the general public know and has the sort of spectacular look that they will enjoy. I also would much prefer to see Hobson's Choice than Aladdin but it probably wouldn't attract so many people. It's noticeable that so far next year we are now getting Aladdin, The Nutcracker and The Sleeping Beauty (booking details for Sunderland were sent to me in an email), all ballets which should be good at the box office. At least Beauty has plenty of roles for lots of members of the company and gives them the classical choreography they need. I also fear for the future of the company if the only way they can continue is to keep churning out the same few full length ballets.

• Like 2

The BCC have made a couple of enormous stuff-ups involving equal pay and it's service contracts, esp IT. The new library is another one - projected build cost £160m, actual build cost £189m, final cost (when it has all been paid for) £590m (estimated - it will be higher).

Spending on a library where within 12 months departments were being mothballed and opening hours reduced, due to cost.. 

I would love to see Hobsons Choice. Aladdin does nothing for me either  but the decision is made.  So  so sad

Midscale is the jewel in the crown for me at the moment.

Fair and justified though this comment is I am rather concerned that this might well be the ultimate size and function of the company. Given that this activity is rather unique and it does take ballet to smaller and diverse places I am sure it will be the last thing to go. However, it employs a much reduced company and I do wonder if it supports enough interest and challenges for the dancers without the bigger scale shows.

I am sure the Arts Council will be very keen for this activity to continue as it gives taxpayers in more remote destinations the chance to see some top quality dance.

Fair and justified though this comment is I am rather concerned that this might well be the ultimate size and function of the company. Given that this activity is rather unique and it does take ballet to smaller and diverse places I am sure it will be the last thing to go. However, it employs a much reduced company and I do wonder if it supports enough interest and challenges for the dancers without the bigger scale shows.

I am sure the Arts Council will be very keen for this activity to continue as it gives taxpayers in more remote destinations the chance to see some top quality dance.

I think this is a good and fair comment, Two Pigeons.  My fear - at least from experience - would be that should the larger company be reduced it would (i) have a direct impact on the fare that the mid-scale company could take into the more remote regions; (ii) would lose hopes for some of the SWRB/BRB main company's historic rep altogether and (iii) very much effect the overall quality.  It is also (iv) one less step to extinction ... should times ever come to that.  

Vis a vis Le Bayadere.  I of course did not receive a letter not being a regular subscriber.  Did it mention any attempts at trying to source the Welch as a co-production with another (European perhaps) company of similar size and stature?  I am surprised actually that this was not initially suggested; i.e., a production share, as is the case with so many major - and certainly mid-scale - production companies today in ballet - and certainly theatre.  (Just look at the list of producers now on even small scale presentations - and this will only HAVE to increase with ACE cuts and the insistence for matched funds.  (This certainly will lead to a reduction of product on offer - that is clear - and I suspect the further closure of regional venues - especially those already funded by councils - which have already seen a considerable decrease as it is.)  

If the Bayadere had been attempted as a joint venture - and perhaps it was - I can only feel but that this might have helped in waylaying the ultimate decision.  Or perhaps the BRB powers that be simply felt that ultimately Bayadere would not be commercially viable for their audiences and that it was the end of the story for this and in with the Aladdin.  Was any detail as to the process of thought given in the letters ... especially to those who had themselves assisted in funding the Bayadere's intended attainment?  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Well Bruce, I have been watching BRB/SWRB since 1979. I am a Friend, a subscriber and I give the company extra money every month. Despite all of this (oh, and I am a Friend if the Hippodrome too) I received neither the original invitation to donate to La Bayadere nor the letter saying it has been cancelled. I do sort of wonder if a supporter of the Company like me has been left off the mailing who else have they left out?

I think the sort of slow, creeping decline of the Company is pretty rampant amongst the admin staff as well. All very disconcerting.

• Like 3

To place the BRB cuts in context, here is some related news about other impacts in Birmingham including the possible closure of some museums. 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/nine-birmingham-museums-could-close-12414999

http://www.localgov.co.uk/%C2%A3500,000-cuts-threaten-Birmingham-museums-/42342

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/theatres-orchestras-galleries-anger-17-12354181

It's a pretty grim picture overall. 

Well Bruce, I have been watching BRB/SWRB since 1979. I am a Friend, a subscriber and I give the company extra money every month. Despite all of this (oh, and I am a Friend if the Hippodrome too) I received neither the original invitation to donate to La Bayadere nor the letter saying it has been cancelled. I do sort of wonder if a supporter of the Company like me has been left off the mailing who else have they left out?

I think the sort of slow, creeping decline of the Company is pretty rampant amongst the admin staff as well. All very disconcerting.

I'm not a Friend, subscriber or donor to BRB (at least until now) but I have previously given money to a couple of charities participating in the annual Big Give whereby donations can be doubled by matched funding, provided you give before the day's allocation of matched funding runs out. The BRB/Bayadere was included among this year's eligible projects when I was alerted to "preview" through the Big Give website. However, I already knew about it because of Pulcinella's intial post on this thread. There was also a two page spread about it in The Nutcracker programme. I don't know what else was done to publicise it. I made a donation through the Big Give which was doubled.

In the case of money donated for a specific purpose,  BRB may have felt bound to notify the specific donors about the cancellation together with options: namely, refund or consent to reallocation to another specific project (consent being assumed if a donor didn't reply otherwise by a certain date). It may be that there are Big Give (or Charity Commission) rules which require this to be done, but I don't know. Those who are merely Friends or who donate for general purposes aren't in quite the same position. 

So it's not the case of a general mailing to Friends, subscribers etc but something very specific. Apart from mention of the cut in funding, the letter didn't contain information about other thought processes leading to the cancellation but I wouldn't have expected it to - its main purpose was to set out the two options open to the donor.

It's a shame but, in my case, BRB has a new Friend and potential donor.  

• Like 3

If the Bayadere had been attempted as a joint venture - and perhaps it was - I can only feel but that this might have helped in waylaying the ultimate decision.  Or perhaps the BRB powers that be simply felt that ultimately Bayadere would not be commercially viable for their audiences and that it was the end of the story for this and in with the Aladdin.  Was any detail as to the process of thought given in the letters ... especially to those who had themselves assisted in funding the Bayadere's intended attainment?  

I'm not a Friend, subscriber or donor to BRB (at least until now) but I have previously given money to a couple of charities participating in the annual Big Give whereby donations can be doubled by matched funding, provided you give before the day's allocation of matched funding runs out. The BRB/Bayadere was included among this year's eligible projects when I was alerted to "preview" through the Big Give website. However, I already knew about it because of Pulcinella's intial post on this thread. There was also a two page spread about it in The Nutcracker programme. I don't know what else was done to publicise it. I made a donation through the Big Give which was doubled.

In the case of money donated for a specific purpose,  BRB may have felt bound to notify the specific donors about the cancellation together with options: namely, refund or consent to reallocation to another specific project (consent being assumed if a donor didn't reply otherwise by a certain date). It may be that there are Big Give (or Charity Commission) rules which require this to be done, but I don't know. Those who are merely Friends or who donate for general purposes aren't in quite the same position. 

So it's not the case of a general mailing to Friends, subscribers etc but something very specific. Apart from mention of the cut in funding, the letter didn't contain information about other thought processes leading to the cancellation but I wouldn't have expected it to - its main purpose was to set out the two options open to the donor.

It's a shame but, in my case, BRB has a new Friend and potential donor.  

BRB have done several joint ventures with Houston Ballet and the ballets the company brought from Japan were IMO semi-joint-ventures.

Although I no longer have it, the initial letter from BRB about the Big Give did start with (paraphrased} "As you have previously donated to the Big Give".  Johnpw is absolutely correct.  Big Give donors had to be notified of the cancellation as their donations were specifically for that project and not just for BRB in general.  The letter said that the money could be used to fund Arcadia this summer and if you had any questions or issues you had to contact the company to discuss.  As it happened I was more than happy for my donation to go towards funding Arcadia.

I think notification about this is a difficult one.  I don't think that there had ever been an official announcement about the company premiering Bayadere this coming Autumn.  I didn't buy a Nutcracker programme so I don't know what it said about Bayadere.  As I usually give some money to the company via the Big Give I hadn't actually read the letter or enclosed leaflet so didn't realise they were proposing to do Bayadere till it was announced here!  No tour dates had been announced.  I suppose, technically, the only people who had to be informed were the Big Give donors.

• Like 2

BRB have done several joint ventures with Houston Ballet and the ballets the company brought from Japan were IMO semi-joint-ventures.

Although I no longer have it, the initial letter from BRB about the Big Give did start with (paraphrased} "As you have previously donated to the Big Give".  Johnpw is absolutely correct.  Big Give donors had to be notified of the cancellation as their donations were specifically for that project and not just for BRB in general.  The letter said that the money could be used to fund Arcadia this summer and if you had any questions or issues you had to contact the company to discuss.  As it happened I was more than happy for my donation to go towards funding Arcadia.

I think notification about this is a difficult one.  I don't think that there had ever been an official announcement about the company premiering Bayadere this coming Autumn.  I didn't buy a Nutcracker programme so I don't know what it said about Bayadere.  As I usually give some money to the company via the Big Give I hadn't actually read the letter or enclosed leaflet so didn't realise they were proposing to do Bayadere till it was announced here!  No tour dates had been announced.  I suppose, technically, the only people who had to be informed were the Big Give donors.

But why would general donors to BRB not have been asked if they wanted to help fund Bayadère via the Big Give? Seems strange not to use your current supporters' database when doing your fundraising.

• Like 1

But why would general donors to BRB not have been asked if they wanted to help fund Bayadère via the Big Give? Seems strange not to use your current supporters' database when doing your fundraising.

Although the letter came from BRB I suspect that the Big Give initiated it and it was their database that was used.

I agree a trick was missed although the Big Give dates were on the front page of the website and (IIRC) in the Tempest programme (without any details about what the project was).

• Like 1

I found this topic all rather depressing and all gloom and doom. As a mother with a daughter in the company, I perhaps have a different take as have the dancers who have been informed throughout. Perhaps let not write them off just yet.All the arts are having to adjust.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

As a Texas resident, I have seen both Bintley's Aladdin and Welch's La Bayadere; both were performed at Houston Ballet in the past.  While the funding issues at BRB is very unfortunate, I am not sure whether BRB audiences would be missing much as a result of this production change.  I found Welch's La Bayadere very frustrating.  While he did not change the Shade scene much, the rest of the ballet is a strange combination of neoclassical ballet and Bollywood dance.  The jumpers' scene was replaced with four male dancers jumping around for no reason.  I felt his version of Nikiya/Solar PdD was rather dull.  It will be staged in Houston again in June 2017, and I am not looking forward to it.

• Like 4

I spoke to a member of BRB staff last night and he said there was a chance that Bayadere might be resuscitated, the project is shelved rather than definitely cancelled. Unfortunately BRB will not be performing in Sunderland in the autumn but it is hoped that they will return next spring, possibly with Coppelia in early April.

• Like 5