Matthew Bourne/New Adventures: The Red Shoes, 2016

I went to the opening night in Plymouth.

This show ticked all of the boxes for me. The music is amazing, full of emotion and drama.

I can't put into words how good it is. I saw it last night as well and it is just so moving. The interpretation of the story has taken well to stage.

It is humorous, full of passion, love , drive , highs, lows, tragedy. The dancing is fantastic. For me it is a 10/10.

This show is going to get better and better.

Congratulations to all involved with New Adventures. I wish you luck with your tour. Well done x

• Like 13

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the opening night in Plymouth.

This show ticked all of the boxes for me. The music is amazing, full of emotion and drama.

I can't put into words how good it is. I saw it last night as well and it is just so moving. The interpretation of the story has taken well to stage.

It is humorous, full of passion, love , drive , highs, lows, tragedy. The dancing is fantastic. For me it is a 10/10.

This show is going to get better and better.

Congratulations to all involved with New Adventures. I wish you luck with your tour. Well done x

My daughter and I are booked in for the opening night at Sadler's Wells so we've been waiting eagerly for the first reviews. This is the first feedback I've seen so thank you Friends. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I went to see it last night. I really enjoyed it. It started off a bit slow, I thought, but rapidly improved. Some really beautiful music and costumes, lovely choreography, and from what I remember of the film (it's a good many years since I saw it) conjured up much of the same atmosphere. The sets were also very clever and impressive in the way that they were constantly changing.

The annoying thing was that the programme didn't contain a cast slip so there was no way of telling who was dancing the roles - I was sitting right up in the gods and being so far away from the stage I couldn't even match the dancers to the photos in the programme. The programme just listed all the dancers who are playing each character during the run. So the dancer who played Victoria Page could have been either Cordelia Braithwaite, Katrina Lyndon (local Plymouth girl) or Ashley Shaw! Whoever it was, she was a lovely expressive dancer and played the role very well. The final scene in particular was very atmospheric and tragic.

Overall, I found it really enjoyable and I'm sure it will be another massive hit for Matthew Bourne when it comes to London.

• Like 2

I was at the opening night at The Lowry tonight.  I've got to be honest that I had mixed feelings about seeing this production as I don't like the film.

Well, I may not like the film but I absolutely LOVED this production.  I think, as usual with Matthew Bourne, it has been put together with great attention to detail and great respect for classical ballet.  The set and the costumes are utterly fabulous.  I loved the choreography through-out too.

We were treated to a magnificent performance from the whole cast but I must say that Ashley Shaw was truly outstanding as Victoria Page.  What a breadth of emotion she brought to the role, I constantly felt shivers down my spine as I watched her.  She well deserved her standing ovation.

I must look at the tour dates and work out where I can see it again!

• Like 8

The annoying thing was that the programme didn't contain a cast slip so there was no way of telling who was dancing the roles - I was sitting right up in the gods and being so far away from the stage I couldn't even match the dancers to the photos in the programme. The programme just listed all the dancers who are playing each character during the run.

They always do that: there should be a board somewhere in the foyer showing who's dancing what role.  Bit late for you now, though :(

I saw the show this evening. I am sorry to say that I am rather underwhelmed by it and a bit mystified as to the story. I've seen it but won't rush to see it again. The only stand out for me was the ever wonderful Michaela Meazza who danced the Prima Ballerina role. She was fabulous and her comedic timing is spot on. Of the rest the Egyptian dance was memorable for being very funny and very well danced. The main roles tonight were danced by Cordelia Braithwaite, Sam Archer and Chris Trenfield.

Oddly there was a cast sheet available tonight!!! It lists everyone who dances each role and the back does tell you the scenes of each Act so you get a rough idea of what is going on, if I had got this before the interval I may have got more from Act1 but I think it's probably a lost cause for me anyway.

• Like 1

Haven't seen the show yet but am curious about one basic question: does it work if you have never seen the film and don't already know the story?

I tweeted MB and they said it doesn't matter.  I have not seen the film either but as you'll see from above it wasn't a winner for me. Do try to get the cast sheet before the show starts if you can.  I think for me a second viewing might help now I know what I'm looking at!

• Like 1

I saw it at the weekend having not seen the film. I enjoyed it but was a bit perplexed as to exactly who all the chaps were... there seemed to be a lot of largely indistinguishable men in suits of varying black or stripiness and I wasn't always clear if it was the same cast member playing a different part with a different coat on, or the same character doing a different thing. My ignorance I'm sure, but I thought the music was wonderful and the dancing exquisite.

• Like 3

Meant to write up my thoughts on Red Shows sooner but better late that never!

I saw both shows at The Lowry last Saturday, so saw both Ashley Shaw & Cordelia Braithwaite as Vicky. Both superb as is the whole cast. At The Lowry there was an orchestra which was fab. Not sure if they will have this at smaller venues on the tour.

So, very clever production and lovely choreography. As with all Matthew Bourne's works, there is a LOT going on on stage so at times, it's hard to know where to look. I'm so glad I saw it twice in one day. I enjoyed it much more the second time around!!

I was emotionally moved throughout, thought the story telling was excellent, some funny bits, some very moving bits.

I know this show will grow and grow. Sir Matthew was in the audience, pen and notebook in hand. I was lucky to be able to have a chat to one of the leading dancers who was in the audience in the evening, having danced the matinee. He said it is still very much a work in progress and all the dancers are refining and developing their characters with each show.

Overall I thought sets amazing, choreography fantastic, dancing superb, storytelling powerful. Fabulous show! Roll on Birmingham, Nottm & Leicester where I see it again!

Edited by nottsballetlover
  • Like 1